SXM Airport Departure MESS

Oldsweets

WOW! How hard this would be to take after finally getting to cruise again. Sorry you had to go through this.

In a much smaller sense it reminds me of some airport moments in San Juan, Ixtapa, St. Lucia and early days in Jamaica. Just a tough way to mix in a wonderful vacation with such frustration to start or end a trip...or both. I have learned not to fly out San Juan on a Sunday, it's just not worth it to me.

I believe that there will continue to be a lot of different stories as we try to get the whole travel scene going again. It's going to take a while. I don't travel until January 2022 and I wish those going before, only the best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

This is just a temporary situation, they like Celebrity, don't want to stick to much into it as it goes away next month. 

Not so sure about this.  We have been going through this airport since the early 90's.  It was always "an island airport"--sometimes better than other times.  The upstairs bar was always a hoot with all types of characters.  It was remodeled and enlarged, and not too long after that, the hurricane messed it up big time.  It takes a long time to recover in the islands.

• Like 2

I read “some” of the negative comments about folks experiences and wonder why they even bother to read boards like these.  My comments were my experience, my thoughts/feelings about the experience and written as information for those with upcoming cruises out of st marten.  If you don’t need the information just ignore it.  As a point of clarity I did share with the local tourism folks a polite e-mail pointing out my experiences and respectfully suggesting some solutions I thought were reasonable.  A tent for shade and chairs, signage with a table and forms for those needing it,  better communications {garbled overlapping PA announcements} to resolve information void, look at how you can create boarding gate zones instead of flights cross-crossing each other’s lines. I have every intention to communicate with celebrity and strange that just today we received our cruise survey form at 3:57 and when we attempted to complete it 2 hours later it said no longer available.  What I Would liked to have said to Celebrity was tremendous Cruise and great job but here are some areas you can do better.   Inform guests of expectations at the airport, give out the needed form with the Covid test results, and give a water to each departing guest.  My reasons for writing any of this is also most self serving given we are going back to st marten this month and have some hope that they will take some actions to improve the process.  I just tire of the opinionated attacks on posters which has seem to become a new normal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, some would have had prior warning, about weather at least, provided they did some research before hand or is this asking too much in order to be prepared?

Yes, you are quite correct that X needed to build infrastructure at a foreign airport of which they would use for less than 60 days or so??

Yes, again, you are correct as to X's choice to sail from a new foreign port, yet the passengers choice to make their way there to board the ship as well and we need to be somewhat informed of what the situation is beforehand.

Yet, I Am sure there are a few of us who have flown into similar airports before and understood it would not possibly be idyllic or comparable to the worst airports (we would consider to be here in the U.S.) to another countries standard. Just impossible, just impossible.

While I understand your point(s) and context, I do not think they are proper.... then again, I have not traveled much so your point(s) have to be valid accordingly. I just find them bewildering in the case of countries which typically do not have the modern infrastructure for this sort of situation and we go there en mass and expect it to be different???

bon voyage

Not sure I fully follow all of your points but I'll take a crack.

I'm not asking Celebrity to "build an infrastructure".  Putting up a tent and providing a little shade and place to sit is a very, very minimal expenditure and the kind of thing that a lot of land tours I've taken in less developed countries have done if needed. With their name on the marquee, what a positive gesture and reinforcement of the brand it would be. 

I'm also being mindful that many cruisers are not fit, healthy younger tourists who might choose to "rough it" in less civilized areas. I'm guessing most of them are used to embarking ships from US ports and probably have no or little frame of reference for what conditions are like elsewhere.  I certainly would not want my elderly mother and father to have to stand outside in the broiling sun for several hours with no shade and nowhere to sit.

(And while yes, people may be aware of the temperature in St. Martin, they may not have guessed that they would not even be allowed inside the doors of the airport, nevermind to their gate for such an extended period of time...)

I guess I am lucky. Despite having traveled for nearly 50 years (starting with cruising when I was a kid) and visiting nearly 100 countries, I have never yet had to stand in a line with my luggage outside an airport in 90 degree weather for hours with not even a place to sit.  So why would I even think for a minute that it might be a likelihood on a relatively well-off Caribbean island that welcomes a large number of international travelers?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It was Celebrity's choice to restart service at this location and to conduct due diligence as to available infrastructure. 

Actually, Celebrity (and all cruise lines) have been severely hampered by the availability of homeports to restart cruising. Sometimes you have to play the hand you've been dealt. St Maarten is one of the best-equipped Caribbean islands to serve as a homeport during this unusual period.

Do I love this airport? Hell no! Then again, there is no US airport I like to spend time in. I've been through St Maarten's airport at least a dozen times over the last 25+ years. Until just a few years ago SXM had one or two 747s arriving almost daily from Paris and Amsterdam, in addition to plenty of jets from the US and Canada. It can be quite crowded, especially on weekends, and most especially during the Christmas-New Year's holidays. Add in in-transit passengers headed to neighboring islands (Anguilla, St Barth, etc.) and I assure you SXM is able to handle departures from a half-full 2200-passenger Celebrity ship.

What it probably can't handle is hundreds of anxious cruise passengers arriving 4-5 hours early for their flights. Note that American Airlines alone has three flights departing in a 10-minute time-span on Saturdays (Miami, Charlotte, Dallas; 2:30-2:40). Now, throw in that the island's arrival/departure protocols have been changing every few weeks (as elsewhere) and that tourism has gone from a near standstill to full-bore in a matter of months and, yes, SXM is over-taxed.

Try and stay a couple extra days on-island after the cruise. And if not, after disembarking grab a drink or lunch at a venue near the cruise port (there are dozens of options in town) or en route to the airport, and aim to arrive for your flight 2 hours before departure time. Arriving much earlier is not going to make your life better, and it's almost guaranteed to be a recipe for frustration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cluso said:

Not so sure about this.  We have been going through this airport since the early 90's.  It was always "an island airport"--sometimes better than other times.  The upstairs bar was always a hoot with all types of characters.  It was remodeled and enlarged, and not too long after that, the hurricane messed it up big time.  It takes a long time to recover in the islands.

By temporarily, I meant the cruising leaving from this place. I have no feel for the regular tourist trade that has been going on.

Hi

Why can’t Celebrity do like TUI/Marella cruises do in Europe,on sailings from Palma,Mallorca for example you leave the ship according to the time of your flight.

Admittedly they are usually TUI flights but this negates getting to the airport 4/5 hrs early.

Even with late afternoon or early evening flight you can pay for a cabin until departure if you wish.So you can enjoy the ship on your last day,have a nap,shower then off to the airport.

It seems most flights from the US to pick up a X cruise in SM don’t land passengers until afternoon,,,as one plane load comes in release a plane load to the airport.

53 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Why can’t Celebrity do like TUI/Marella cruises do in Europe,on sailings from Palma,Mallorca for example you leave the ship according to the time of your flight.

Admittedly they are usually TUI flights but this negates getting to the airport 4/5 hrs early.

Even with late afternoon or early evening flight you can pay for a cabin until departure if you wish.So you can enjoy the ship on your last day,have a nap,shower then off to the airport.

It seems most flights from the US to pick up a X cruise in SM don’t land passengers until afternoon,,,as one plane load comes in release a plane load to the airport.

I believe this would be a logistical nightmare  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Selfishness is the name of the game in this “me, me, me” society within which we live. It has been growing in strength over the last couple of decades, but has been no more ‘in your face’ since this pandemic began. Pathetic is the word. 

I said I would not comment again on this thread, but my threat to the agent was that I was going to notify the media, local papers, and post this airport mess anywhere on line to warn people about flying into St. Maarten.  I certainly was not implying bodily harm to the agent from my post.

You really had to be there to see and understand what was going on. 

Thank God I'm healthy with just Pre-Diabetes (type 2).  However, my wife has severe stomach issues and was sick on the plane and still in bed today.  She got herself worked up, it affects her stomach, and usually takes a few days to recover.  Now---I'm done with this thread and attacks on me.

41 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

You really had to be there to see and understand what was going on. 

Thank God I'm healthy with just Pre-Diabetes (type 2).  However, my wife has severe stomach issues and was sick on the plane and still in bed today.  She got herself worked up, it affects her stomach, and usually takes a few days to recover.  Now---I'm done with this thread and attacks on me.

There were plenty of Celebrity guests there who experienced what was going on, but they didn’t “lie” (your word, not mine or anyone else’s) about health issues to get into the terminal.  I’m not entirely sure why you are surprised by anyone’s reaction to your post. Now, we should all be done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

There were plenty of Celebrity guests there who experienced what was going on, but they didn’t “lie” (your word, not mine or anyone else’s) about health issues to get into the terminal.  I’m not entirely sure why you are surprised by anyone’s reaction to your post. Now, we should all be done. 

I just noticed that you have 2186 post on this forum and a member since 2007.  I just have 22, most of them about this June 6, cruise only.  Honestly, I thought the purpose of this forum was to  share our experiences about our cruise, not to be put down and attacked for our actions.  I just don't think it's fair to treat someone this way when you were not there to evaluate the situation and see what was going on.  It's hurtful reading negative comments when we're just trying to help others planning this cruise and take actions before getting to the airport.

11 minutes ago, garyg2000 said:

I just noticed that you have 2186 post on this forum and a member since 2007.  I just have 22, most of them about this June 6, cruise only.  Honestly, I thought the purpose of this forum was to  share our experiences about our cruise, not to be put down and attacked for our actions.  I just don't think it's fair to treat someone this way when you were not there to evaluate the situation and see what was going on.  It's hurtful reading negative comments when we're just trying to help others planning this cruise and take actions before getting to the airport.

First of all, I am not the only one that called you out because of your post. Apparently, you have chosen to concentrate on me. The number of my posts and my date of joining CC has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. You shared your experience, but folks will reply (good or bad) to what you say. Your initial post was extremely negative and you shared information that many felt put your actions in a bad light. It is what it is. I am not going to respond to you further because it serves no purpose. I hope your future cruising experiences are better. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why Celebrity didn't warn passengers not to arrive at the airport more than three hours before their flight. 

I remember how impressed I was with how Princess handled the disembarkation in Alaska.  

We had pre-paid for a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage.  We were taking to a “Hospitality Center,” where we could leave our carry-on bags; this was in the Egan Convention Center in downtown Anchorage.  There was a large room with chairs and tables.  Clean restrooms.  Lots of people to answer questions.  We had a few hours to kill in Anchorage, and we got a diniing recommendation from one of the hospitality people.  We wandered around, and then back to Hospitality Center for the shuttle to the airport.   As I put in my trip report at the time:  "Kudos to Princess: Hospitality Center has carry-on baggage check!!  So we can dump it all there to wander around.  Free downtown shuttles, free shuttle to Ulla Factory, ..."  

Celebrity should emulate Princess' strategy.  Rent a large indoor space (if there is one), put in a baggage claim, and provide an airport shuttle.  Create goodwill instead of the ill-will that this disaster has generated.

2 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I don't know why Celebrity didn't warn passengers not to arrive at the airport more than three hours before their flight. 

I remember how impressed I was with how Princess handled the disembarkation in Alaska.  

We had pre-paid for a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage.  We were taking to a “Hospitality Center,” where we could leave our carry-on bags; this was in the Egan Convention Center in downtown Anchorage.  There was a large room with chairs and tables.  Clean restrooms.  Lots of people to answer questions.  We had a few hours to kill in Anchorage, and we got a diniing recommendation from one of the hospitality people.  We wandered around, and then back to Hospitality Center for the shuttle to the airport.   As I put in my trip report at the time:  "Kudos to Princess: Hospitality Center has carry-on baggage check!!  So we can dump it all there to wander around.  Free downtown shuttles, free shuttle to Ulla Factory, ..."  

Celebrity should emulate Princess' strategy.  Rent a large indoor space (if there is one), put in a baggage claim, and provide an airport shuttle.  Create goodwill instead of the ill-will that this disaster has generated.

I’m assuming your goodwill accommodations were pre-Covid?  

Just now, LGW59 said:

I’m assuming your goodwill accommodations were pre-Covid?  

No need to assume.  Obviously it was pre-Covid.  Has Princess had any Alaskan cruises yet since mid-2020?

But the airport disaster that the OP recited was not socially distanced, and all of the departing passengers were vaccinated and had just been negative tested, so I don't see a Covid issue here.  Do you?

This is making me really hope our Carnival Horizon sails on July 10 and we can just cancel this cruise.  While I really admire how Celebrity handled the cruise and the two positive cases, the hassles of all the testing then a miserable experience at the airport are not sounding like any fun.

But thank you to those who reported on your experience at the airport.  Our flight is at 3:09 p.m. (Jet Blue changed it from 2 something, thank goodness), and I will not arrive at the airport before 1:15.  I am not a fan of standing in lines to begin with, but when you add in heat, humidity and sunshine, I would not be a happy camper.  

If I have to stand in the heat for more than 30 min, they will be carrying me off on a stretcher. Not only will my hips/legs/knees/back give out, the heat will get me. I'm waiting to hear if my kitty sitter can come in Sept, if so, I'm changing to Alaska. This cruise sounded so great when we booked the day it opened in Mar, now after having several 85+ days, w/o much humidity, my body says NOOOOO.

40 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I am not a fan of standing in lines to begin with, but when you add in heat, humidity and sunshine, I would not be a happy camper.  

Buy a cheap umbrella and abandon it at the airport once you get inside.

Hi, 

Thanks for your posts reporting the conditions at the St. Maarten airport following your cruise. I am booked on the Celebrity Summit's cruise that is sailing from St. Maarten on July 10. Based on your posts, I decided to change to a flight after the cruise that is scheduled to depart from St. Maarten at 12:45 pm. Hopefully this will at least minimize my time at the airport. Also, I have a three-hour layover in Miami before my next flight home.

Chuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

If I have to stand in the heat for more than 30 min, they will be carrying me off on a stretcher. Not only will my hips/legs/knees/back give out, the heat will get me. I'm waiting to hear if my kitty sitter can come in Sept, if so, I'm changing to Alaska. This cruise sounded so great when we booked the day it opened in Mar, now after having several 85+ days, w/o much humidity, my body says NOOOOO.

The solution is to not arrive to the airport any earlier than 3 hours.  If it were me, since it's a tiny airport I'd try to arrive 90mins before my flight.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The solution is to not arrive to the airport any earlier than 3 hours.  If it were me, since it's a tiny airport I'd try to arrive 90mins before my flight.

That's cutting it very close to most airlines' minimum check-in times for international flights, especially with the enormous line to get inside the airport after everyone debarks the ship.