This isn't good....Odyssey Of The Seas cancelled due to Covid

bajathree

Dear valued Travel Partners,

The health and well-being of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit remain our top priority during this time. As partners, we are committed to bringing you the latest news and updates as soon as we receive them.

Our newest ship, Odyssey of the SeasSM, has truly been on an odyssey. This beautiful ship has changed homeports and crossed the Atlantic to prepare for her first sailings in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, the odyssey isn’t over yet – eight crew members onboard have tested positive for COVID-19. These cases occurred after the vaccination was administered to all 1,400 Odyssey crew, but before the vaccines were fully effective. The affected crew are doing well - they are quarantined and being cared for onboard.  

To protect the remaining crew and prevent further cases, all crew will be quarantined for 14 days. As a result, we are cancelling Odyssey’s July 3-July 25, 2021 departures.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Well that certainly puts a damper on cruise restarts.  And also highlights the need to sail with vaccinated passengers.

Definitely highlights the need to have ALL crew and passengers fully vaccinated.  Period.  Not 95%.  Not unvaccinated children.  100% or you can't cruise yet.  It's still a pandemic.  It's still out there.  Life is not fair, but that is really the only way to ensure cruising will survive.

• Like 47

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

Definitely highlights the need to have ALL crew and passengers fully vaccinated.  Period.  Not 95%.  Not unvaccinated children.  100% or you can't cruise yet.  It's still a pandemic.  It's still out there.  Life is not fair, but that is really the only way to ensure cruising will survive.

With the India Delta variant taking hold in the US I agree.  Land based vacations are still an option for families and others who choose to remain unvaccinated.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, bajathree said:
Dear valued Travel Partners,

The health and well-being of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit remain our top priority during this time. As partners, we are committed to bringing you the latest news and updates as soon as we receive them.

Our newest ship, Odyssey of the SeasSM, has truly been on an odyssey. This beautiful ship has changed homeports and crossed the Atlantic to prepare for her first sailings in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, the odyssey isn’t over yet – eight crew members onboard have tested positive for COVID-19. These cases occurred after the vaccination was administered to all 1,400 Odyssey crew, but before the vaccines were fully effective. The affected crew are doing well - they are quarantined and being cared for onboard.  

To protect the remaining crew and prevent further cases, all crew will be quarantined for 14 days. As a result, we are cancelling Odyssey’s July 3-July 25, 2021 departures.

This should surprise no one. They had cases that they deposited in Spain before heading to the US. Now these. I thought they were going to continue quarantine of all crew members until full vaccine effect kicked in?  Pretty foolish if they didn’t.

People should expect more, and not just crew. Just have to get real about how this is going to work for the next 4-6 months or longer. Vaccinated cruises only!

• Like 6

Hi,

Royal Caribbean has had a difficult time entering this ship into service. It was supposed to sail a series of cruises from Israel this summer, but all of these cruises were canceled. Now this ship is facing further cancelations.

I am booked on two cruises this year (Celebrity Summit in July and Crystal Serenity in September) that require passengers and crew to be fully vaccinated. This isn't a guarantee that there won't be problems (as shown by the Celebrity Millennium last week). Hopefully, however, this greatly improves the chances that these cruises will operate safely.

I really want to take cruises and support the cruise industry.

Chuck

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The problem is, for pax, fake vax cards are incredibly easy to come by or even create yourself.

39 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

Royal Caribbean has had a difficult time entering this ship into service. It was supposed to sail a series of cruises from Israel this summer, but all of these cruises were canceled. Now this ship is facing further cancelations.

I am booked on two cruises this year (Celebrity Summit in July and Crystal Serenity in September) that require passengers and crew to be fully vaccinated. This isn't a guarantee that there won't be problems (as shown by the Celebrity Millennium last week). Hopefully, however, this greatly improves the chances that these cruises will operate safely.

Chuck

Crystal does not guarantee that all crew will be vaccinated. Read the fine print. 

48 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

This should surprise no one. They had cases that they deposited in Spain before heading to the US. Now these. I thought they were going to continue quarantine of all crew members until full vaccine effect kicked in?  Pretty foolish if they didn’t.

People should expect more, and not just crew. Just have to get real about how this is going to work for the next 4-6 months or longer. Vaccinated cruises only!

People here are saying how much they admire and appreciate and thank the first post Covid cruisers blah blah blah.  Then the s hits the fan, jeez come did anyone really expect it to be normal?  If you made the decision to jump on board ASAP well good on ya, I suppose.  That said ….

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

People here are saying how much they admire and appreciate and thank the first post Covid cruisers blah blah blah.  Then the s hits the fan, jeez come did anyone really expect it to be normal?  If you made the decision to jump on board ASAP well good on ya, I suppose.  That said ….

I'm fully vaccinated, and work in a hospital all dang day.  I've got more risk at work than on a fully vaccinated cruise.  These employees weren't fully vaccinated, and it sounds like possibly they weren't quarantining properly as well. 

I wish the cruise industry nothing but the best on their restart.  But all protocols need to be followed if it's going to be successful.  Yes, breakthrough cases are going to happen.   But the risks of severe illness and spread are greatly reduced if everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

Chuck

Summit not sailing in July.....It just went red too! Expect an email in the next few days/hours. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

image.thumb.png.50300d0b4eff4cbb7c91541c059c74b5.png

13 minutes ago, gotrichard said:

Same thing just  happened to summit for the next 2 months See here! 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

image.thumb.png.e1a40e9728cdc9c226cfc542006fd499.pngimage.thumb.png.f43f7551008b986255b76a15c0eb4f7c.png

This doesn't bode well for the Summit/Millennium Alaska swap.  I've got Millie for July 30, but it looks like St. Maarten passengers might be out of luck once Millie moves.  And who knows, Millie could go red as well if an outbreak occurs.

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

EVERYBODY PANIC..

I'm not going to panic.  I'll just take it on the chin like everything else pandemic related in my life. 
It's been a looooong 14 months. My last Covid Free vacay ironically was Mardi Gras in New Orleans in Feb. 2020.  I went for the smaller parades before Fat Tuesday.  I had such a good time.  
I've since been on vacation 5 times during Covid.  Wearing masks, hand sanitizing, cleaning hotel rooms myself, and only getting take-out, or cooking in my condo.  Also eating outdoors on a beach restaurant. 
I'm flexible, realistic, and understand that certain precautions need to be taken.  
Covid is to be respected, not feared. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'm fully vaccinated, and work in a hospital all dang day.  I've got more risk at work than on a fully vaccinated cruise.  These employees weren't fully vaccinated, and it sounds like possibly they weren't quarantining properly as well. 

I wish the cruise industry nothing but the best on their restart.  But all protocols need to be followed if it's going to be successful.  Yes, breakthrough cases are going to happen.   But the risks of severe illness and spread are greatly reduced if everyone is vaccinated.

Well said! With your background you might agree with my premise;

there is less risk of C19 on a fully vaccinated cruise with pre-cruise testing than at most people's home ... it is a statistical fact the most C19 is developed from 'community spread', meaning family, friends, neighbors, etc. and not from a sanitized cruise ship!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, harkinmr said:

1. This should surprise no one.

2. They had cases that they deposited in Spain before heading to the US. Now these.

3. I thought they were going to continue quarantine of all crew members until full vaccine effect kicked in?  Pretty foolish if they didn’t.

1.  Agree - a bumpy start was to be expected and should not come as a surprise... also not as a reason to panic!
2. The cases in Spain turned out to be false positives and were flown to FLL.
3. As much as I get it the cases were detected during quarantine time... starting a new round.

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Does anybody know where the Odyssey was on June 4th when they vaccinated their entire crew?  The article here on CC said 8 positive tests.  Not sure if PCR or antigen.  Not sure when they will be further tested.  And 6 of them asymptomatic. And 2 with mild symptoms (COVID positive)  The crew would be considered fully vaccinated after June 18.  So two week timing from June 4th. So it appears to be the 1-shot J&J vaccine.   If not, it would be interesting to know which vaccine they received.  So these crew members were infected prior to full vaccination.  And not quarantined from each other until June 18th full vaccination date.  RCCL let them on the ship unvaccinated, and kept them together on board.    

They were at Port Canaveral. 

Even assuming J&J, they absolutely should have been quarantined during the two weeks.  Why weren’t they?  Were some of them new crew coming on at PC? Did RCI follow quarantine protocols required for newly boarded crew?  Lots of questions but it sure sounds like someone screwed up. 

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

They were at Port Canaveral. 

Even assuming J&J, they absolutely should have been quarantined during the two weeks.  Why weren’t they?  Were some of them new crew coming on at PC? Did RCI follow quarantine protocols required for newly boarded crew?  Lots of questions but it sure sounds like someone screwed up. 

And the CDC is sitting back just smiling.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kstetser said:

A crew member has a vlog - it sounds to be that they are quarantined in guest cabins with balconies....

See this tweet. According to other tweets, he boarded on June 11 and is quarantined for 14 days. Looking at other media reports, the crew testing with the positive tests was on June 10 (the day before this member joined the ship). Best wishes to all!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Here is part of the problem with reporting... Did they test positive for COVID or SARS-CoV-2?  If you don't know the difference you are part of the problem.

I was thinking the same thing.  No report as to whether they are sick or asymptomatic.  I have a feeling it's the later since they were partially vaxed.  RCG's PR people need to educate themselves and realize COVID positive and virus positive are two different things, and one is more damaging than the other.

• Like 1