8 Crew Test Positive on the Odyssey

bdever

9 hours ago, kdr69 said:

The point is that they had one shot of Pfizer only.  Unless and Until they had the second shot to become fully vaccinated they should have had absolutely NO opportunity to interact with or be exposed to a NON Vaccinated individual.  They didnt spontaneously develop COVID so they had to have been exposed outside of the bubble that they should have been in so how did that happen if they remained on board at all times with everyone else who was vaccinated with one dose too??

According to Chris Wong's vlog I think they just got to the ship, what, Friday or Saturday a week ago.  They were in a hotel for what 2 days quarantining ?  Before that they were on a crowded plane and living life.  They all got on the bus to go to the Odyssey together.  So I can see how it would spread.  They didn't get the first dose of the vaccine til they got to the ship, I would think but could be wrong.

Edited by rs45thompson

9 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

As long as we keep pushing #ZeroCovid, I suspect many folks are going to be disappointed when their cruise gets cancelled, vaccinated or not.

If people could follow simple directions, there is no need for an outbreak.

12 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I just shake my head.  They should have kept the crew under lock and key and guarded more closely than the crown jewels until the were FULLY vaccinated.  Should have been no way possible for them to interact until such time.  

No way for the crew members to train to get ready for cruising if everybody is locked down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I am not going to argue that the virus was initially overblown, because it was deadly in it's original form.  The various forms this virus has taken are mere shells of its former self.  The lethality of this virus has dropped through the floor and the current most common symptoms are sneezing, headache and runny nose.  OMG LET'S SHUT DOWN THE WORLD FOR A RUNNY NOSE!!!!

It's time to end the stupidity.

The delta variant is more contagious and dangerous that the original. Denying doesn't change the facts.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 8:15 PM, bdever said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Someone mentioned in the comments that the crew had only received their first dose of Pfizer at this point so it’s not terribly surprising and just part of the process. Why did Royal wait so close to sail date to start the process though??? 

If that is true it is absolutely amazing that a company worth as much as RCL would have allowed anyone on that cruise ship that wasn't fully vaccinated and past the 2 weeks.  

23 minutes ago, skridge said:

If that is true it is absolutely amazing that a company worth as much as RCL would have allowed anyone on that cruise ship that wasn't fully vaccinated and past the 2 weeks.  

Um, the whole crew at one point was unvaxxed.  This was part of the process of getting them vaxxed.  Due to the whole "cancel cruises in eastern Med" thing, they brought the ship to PC to get second dose.

This was part of the process, and hiccups happened.  It sucks, but at least it shows the protocols are working.

Perhaps if RCL hadn't done the ship switcharoo it wouldn't have happened, but they decided that was the proper course of action, so there it is now.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I am not going to argue that the virus was initially overblown, because it was deadly in it's original form.  The various forms this virus has taken are mere shells of its former self.  The lethality of this virus has dropped through the floor and the current most common symptoms are sneezing, headache and runny nose.  OMG LET'S SHUT DOWN THE WORLD FOR A RUNNY NOSE!!!!

It's time to end the stupidity.

The virus hasn't mutated into some lame version of itself.

The new variants of the virus are just as deadly as the original, with the newer Delta variant far more serious, apparently.

What has changed is the knowledge of how to detect cases from the symptoms earlier, and how to treat the more serious symptoms before they wreak havoc on your body.

I am pretty sure if you took today's potentially-serious-case coronavirus patient and applied the known techniques from Feb 2020 it would be a Bad Thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Perhaps if RCL hadn't done the ship switcharoo it wouldn't have happened, but they decided that was the proper course of action, so there it is now.

The CDC isn't wild about cruise lines switching crew between ships during the pandemic and I guess RCL decided to try one of those Hold My Beer moments.

RCL is losing $24/share right now, so they are desperate to get their ships out with paying customers as soon as possible.  It sounds like they are rushing things a bit with assuming that 14 days after their crew are vaccinated they are all fully immune.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skridge said:

Right?!?!? Why in the world would RCL schedule a sailing for 7/3/21 inaugural when 1. They didn’t start vaccinating crew until 6/4/21 and were all crew given their first dose on 6/4/21?, and 2. Knowing there was a 4 week waiting period total for vaccinated crew to be considered fully vaccinated AND that is assuming no crew would test positive in the meantime? Which at earliest would mean 7/2/21 would be the date all crew could come out of quarantine assuming all were fully vaccinated on 6/4/21 and no positives in the meantime? And when were they planning to do test cruises? Am I missing something? It just really sucks that anyone booked for these initial sailings were cancelled due to something that could have been avoided with careful and prudent planning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bdever said:

And when were they planning to do test cruises? Am I missing something?

That's a good question.  Since they are not requiring the vaccine, according to the CDC, do they not have to do a test cruise?  They say they anticipate 90% of their guests on cruises from Florida to still be vaccinated, but that is not 95%.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The delta variant is more contagious and dangerous that the original. Denying doesn't change the facts.

I agree it is more contagious but i believe its only more dangerous to those that aren't vaccinated according to the reports.

41 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I agree it is more contagious but i believe its only more dangerous to those that aren't vaccinated according to the reports.

Indeed, that is what I have read: more contagious, which is a huge concern itself, but if you get it no different that the other variants in terms of average severity.  (As far as we know.)

On 6/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So, it looks like both Royal and Carnival figured out a way around the law in Texas.  However, I wonder why Royal is doing unvaccinated in Florida and Carnival is doing vaccinated.  It seems like they would both be on the same page with the same information, unless Carnival is bluffing.

I think they are trying to "save" what's left of the " family vacation" season. RCL and CCL are both heavily family oriented whereby Holland/Celebrity, etc. are mostly an older population with less children sailing. Although, I wonder how Disney is handling.....they have been extremely quiet on the news front.  Bottom line is that it is truly still an "unknown" and we probably won't know a true direction until after sailing begins. Remember you can still contract the virus even "if" you are fully vaccinated so there is always the possibility that "someone" may test positive on any cruise. Time will tell.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, firefly333 said:

You probably know but this ship was supposed to be the cruise ship from israel. They were so happy to get their own ship .. and then the bombs started and it couldnt come in. Dani on the thread what did you do today on rcl is from Israel..

Then it pulled into PC and stayed a couple of days, might have gotten the rest vaccinated then. Then left for miami. It was swapped with I think independence and wsnt scheduled at all originally. Brand new ship.,independent is being sent to Galveston while liberty does dry dock.

But since it was supposed to be in israel and never scheduled out of texas, just a last minute swap I can see why vaccines are behind.

They are vaxxed. By my math even the 2 week quarantine will be over this month.  Idk but maybe the extra time in July is to do a mock cruise. They cant do it now until crew is out of quarantine.. rcl posters saying this was a unlucky name. 

Actually the part about the reason RCI pulled out of Israel has been is some dispute

On 6/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So, it looks like both Royal and Carnival figured out a way around the law in Texas.  However, I wonder why Royal is doing unvaccinated in Florida and Carnival is doing vaccinated.  It seems like they would both be on the same page with the same information, unless Carnival is bluffing.

This is what I have heard that Celebrity it planning to do. They have figured out a way to "skirt" the Florida law. Celebrity will be asking if people would like to VOLUNTEER their vaccine document. If anyone does not volunteer their proof of vaccination, they will go into the un-vaxxed list of people. Once that un-vaxxed list of people reaches 5% of the capacity on the ship, no further people can register as un-vaxxed.

IMHO, this is absolute genius to skirt the Florida law. No one is being REQUIRED to produce proof of vaccination. It is all on a voluntary basis. I have not heard if any other cruise lines plan to use this strategy to assure a 95% vaccinated passenger population on board but it surely does sound like it will work.

Again......absolute genius!

7 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

This is what I have heard that Celebrity it planning to do. They have figured out a way to "skirt" the Florida law. Celebrity will be asking if people would like to VOLUNTEER their vaccine document. If anyone does not volunteer their proof of vaccination, they will go into the un-vaxxed list of people. Once that un-vaxxed list of people reaches 5% of the capacity on the ship, no further people can register as un-vaxxed.

IMHO, this is absolute genius to skirt the Florida law. No one is being REQUIRED to produce proof of vaccination. It is all on a voluntary basis. I have not heard if any other cruise lines plan to use this strategy to assure a 95% vaccinated passenger population on board but it surely does sound like it will work.

Again......absolute genius!

We should all try to "skirt" laws. Just imagine if we could get around every law we deemed unnecessary. I'd start with taxes. I hate giving up half my paychecks.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

The person I was referring to was going off that the crew was allowed to comingle with others in the real world while only having 1 dose of the Pfizer vax.  I asked that question because the J&J was approved at 1 shot and has almost the exact same effectiveness as Pfizer with 1 shot.  If they are OK with J&J, then they must be OK with 1 shot of Pfizer (or Moderna)...   If they are not OK with 1 shot, like they posted, then they cannot be OK with 1 J&J shot either because they offer the same protection.

I figured out who your talking about!!😉😁 

23 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I dread having to purchase tickets for flights to Europe next year for our TA in November.

Currently im seeing 1600 ish for THIS November 2 people 1 way to Gatwick Premium seats through Westjet but thats also using my companion airfare ticket of 399.00.  Am dreading seeing what it will be like when booking opens for next November when we fly for the TA

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Also what people don't seem to understand that after one dose of Pfizer there is only 30% protection against the Delta variant. Need two doses at least 3 weeks apart.

I would imagine what they are dealing with onboard is the Delta variant.

2 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I would imagine what they are dealing with onboard is the Delta variant.

6 of the 8 had no symptoms, 2 had mild symptoms.  I think it's a jump to assume it's the dreaded delta variant. 

No wonder cruiselines have been not rushing to restart. I'm seeing such big reactions just to a few crew cases, I cant wait for real pax to be aboard.

• Like 1