Do "mixed dose" vaccinated Canadians qualify for Seattle departure vax requirement?

18 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

Who knows.  I just heard (as an aside) Broadway show with springstein must be vaccinated with on the the 3 approved in US.  They said no to any others.  So overall, I wonder if this catches on all over, international travel won't be as easy as get the vaccine.  May have to be country specific.  

As with all things covid, procedures are constantly changing.  By the time international travel is widely available, maybe next summer, vaccination rules may of changed or be done away with completely 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Make sure your son gets Pfizer, as it is the only one approved for 12-18.  Accidents happen, but I doubt they’d give him the wrong one. 

Yes thank you.  Will definitely mention the age and it must be Pfizer.

18 hours ago, gospelle said:

Searching the rules around Seattle departures and vaccinations indicates passengers must be fully vaccinated from "authorized vaccine". USA has only authorized 3 vaccines, while Canada has authorized 4 (astrazeneca being the Canada-only one). To complicate things further, in Canada it's authorized to mix the vaccines (for example having AstraZeneca for 1st dose and Pfizer for 2nd dose) and that is considered "fully vaccinated" in Canada. 

So, when RCCL says "fully vaccinated from authorized vaccine" are they recognizing the above scenarios for Canadian passengers? Their website isn't clear and it would be a shame to book only to be denied boarding.

In other parts of the world the rules are different.  For instance Royal Caribbean has been cruising from Singapore for several months before vaccinations were widely available.  In the UK half our population has had Astrazeneca, but Anthem starts cruising from Southampton in a few weeks.

Even within families there are different types of vaccinations.  I feel if it's a WHO authorised vaccination, it should be allowed.

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

In the UK half our population has had Astrazeneca, but Anthem starts cruising from Southampton in a few weeks.

Even within families there are different types of vaccinations.  I feel if it's a WHO authorised vaccination, it should be allowed

Does America really want to tell it's closest allies that half their people in some cases can't travel because of the vaccination they have had? It would destroy relations though it would also make me smile to be fair. It would be no different than getting rid of the visa waiver program because half the applicants would not get the visas and those countries would demand relations with USA be scrapped forever.

And Royal wouldn't dare turn half the Anthem customers away. There would be no point to running the ship. Although Cunard would be more affected if something like this came in. Under 40s don't get AZ.

Edited by ace2542

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

As with all things covid, procedures are constantly changing.  By the time international travel is widely available, maybe next summer, vaccination rules may of changed or be done away with completely 

Hopefully.  

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Does America really want to tell it's closest allies that half their people in some cases can't travel because of the vaccination they have had? It would destroy relations though it would also make me smile to be fair. It would be no different than getting rid of the visa waiver program because half the applicants would not get the visas and those countries would demand relations with USA be scrapped forever.

And Royal wouldn't dare turn half the Anthem customers away. There would be no point to running the ship. Although Cunard would be more affected if something like this came in. Under 40s don't get AZ.

Springstein is in NYC.  They state must be a US approved vaccine.  We'll see how that goes.  

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just going from the news story I saw.  No idea on trials etc.  At this point I think NACI just makes stuff up while rolling the dice.

One day they probably didn't have the same type available when second shot was scheduled is most likely what happened.  That's my guess.  None were trialed that way I'm sure.  Then someone says how great the combo is.  How do they know?  They don't.

• Like 2

So, Trudeau extended the border closing again!  How is that Canadians can fly to USA to get on a cruise going to USA ports only whilst I am looking at having my Canadian vacation cancelled for the second year in a row!!!

This has gotten ridiculous!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thinking out loud… technically most Canadians who got shots have not followed the manufacturer’s guidelines because of the huge delay between shots.  

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone I know in Ontario had at least 6 weeks between Pfizer or Moderna shots, typically longer than that. 

19 hours ago, mrlevin said:

So, Trudeau extended the border closing again!  How is that Canadians can fly to USA to get on a cruise going to USA ports only whilst I am looking at having my Canadian vacation cancelled for the second year in a row!!!

This has gotten ridiculous!!!!!

For most of the year, USA vaccine manufacturers were prevented (by US Govt.) from delivering the doses purchased by Canada. This has only changed in the last couple weeks. For the previous 5 months Canada has had to source vaccines from European manufacturers. This led to a much slower vaccination campaign in Canada. 

Only about 18% of Canadians are currently fully vaccinated.  USA wasn't allowing any cruising when only 18% of its population was fully vaccinated so it's not really fair to expect Canada to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gospelle said:

For most of the year, USA vaccine manufacturers were prevented (by US Govt.) from delivering the doses purchased by Canada. This has only changed in the last couple weeks. For the previous 5 months Canada has had to source vaccines from European manufacturers. This led to a much slower vaccination campaign in Canada. 

Only about 18% of Canadians are currently fully vaccinated.  USA wasn't allowing any cruising when only 18% of its population was fully vaccinated so it's not really fair to expect Canada to do that.

The USA government spent BILLIONS of dollars to facilitate the quick development of multiple vaccines through Operation Warp Speed.  How much did Canada spend for the development.  Of course we get first right to the vaccines that we, the American taxpayer, funded.  Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are going to make back multiples of BILLIONS, but it is nice to have big Pharma when you need it.

I don't care about cruising in Canada this year, I am heading to Manitoba (hopefully) in October.

Marc

PS In the spirit of full disclosure, the Canadian taxpayers paid for the icebreaker that we needed for three days whilst on the Silver Explorer seven years ago.  I am thankful for the Canadians for having provided that wonderful ship.

Very interested in this! We live in Ontario, got AZ for first and Moderna for second dose. Talked to our agent about booking Bahamas cruise on RCL Adventure of the Seas in Sept, would be our first RCL. Home port for this itinerary is Nassau, ship is registered in Bahamas too (naturally).

According to Bahamas govt website AZ vaccine is officially acceptable for travellers, tho no mention of mixing of course. Like anyone going to Bahamas soon we would have to apply for and pay for the 'Bahamas Travel Health Visa'. All we have at this point for proof of vax is the ON Ministry of Health pages emailed to us after each of the doses.

Since RCL is an American company, agent was not sure re AZ and the mixing, and is checking w RCL before finalizing the booking.

..... Forgot to mention re this cruise: "Covid-19 Vaccination Required! On this sailing, guests 12 and older must have proof of full COVID-19 vaccination administered at least two weeks prior to embarkation and must provide a negative PCR test result prior to embarkation."

In Nova Scotia, we can choose which ever one we want.  On the booking site, it has the location and also notes which vaccine it administers.  We have PF (1st dose), in fact, every single person in my family (parents, siblings, nephews, etc) all have PF and plans for second doses of it as well.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

The USA government spent BILLIONS of dollars to facilitate the quick development of multiple vaccines through Operation Warp Speed.  How much did Canada spend for the development.  Of course we get first right to the vaccines that we, the American taxpayer, funded.  Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are going to make back multiples of BILLIONS, but it is nice to have big Pharma when you need it.

I don't care about cruising in Canada this year, I am heading to Manitoba (hopefully) in October.

Marc

PS In the spirit of full disclosure, the Canadian taxpayers paid for the icebreaker that we needed for three days whilst on the Silver Explorer seven years ago.  I am thankful for the Canadians for having provided that wonderful ship.

Pfizer was not part of Operation Warp Speed, yet they still were prohibited from shipping doses from USA. 

My point though has nothing to do with the merits of vaccine embargoes, but rather, why you would expect another country to open its cruise industry when only 18% of population is fully vaccinated when your own country wouldn't do that? That's my point.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

Springstein is in NYC.  They state must be a US approved vaccine.  We'll see how that goes.  

Apparently Springsteen is now changed rules to be "WHO approved". So AstraZeneca now ok. Not clear on mixed doses.

• Like 1

I called Royal Caribbean Thursday night to get an answer to this question because of their wording "fully vaccinated", I wanted a clear definition.  I was in the process of re-scheduling my husband's second dose to an earlier appointment and wanted to make sure what the requirement by Royal Caribbean was.

It was explained to me that "fully vaccinated" meant 2 doses of the same vaccine, example: Pfizer/Pfizer, Moderna/Moderna, etc.

If you mixed and matched, example: Pfizer/Moderna, Royal Caribbean was not considering that as "fully vaccinated", they are seeing it as 1 dose of 2 different vaccines, not 2 doses of 1 vaccine.

I hope that makes sense how I explained it.

I told my daughter to get the same vaccine for her second that she got for her first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chandos13 said:

Since RCL is an American company, agent was not sure re AZ and the mixing, and is checking w RCL before finalizing the booking

As I mentioned earlier in tje thread I did hear from my rep at Royal and the mixing doses is currently fine for Canadians as long as you’ve had 2 dates and it’s 24 days after your second dose. 

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As I mentioned earlier in tje thread I did hear from my rep at Royal and the mixing doses is currently fine for Canadians as long as you’ve had 2 dates and it’s 24 days after your second dose. 

As usual, I guess it depends on what information has been given the reps, unfortunate really. The rep I spoke to said that new information had just come out that day that I had called. Hopefully noone gets turned away from misinformation.

18 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

I called Royal Caribbean Thursday night to get an answer to this question because of their wording "fully vaccinated", I wanted a clear definition.  I was in the process of re-scheduling my husband's second dose to an earlier appointment and wanted to make sure what the requirement by Royal Caribbean was.

It was explained to me that "fully vaccinated" meant 2 doses of the same vaccine, example: Pfizer/Pfizer, Moderna/Moderna, etc.

If you mixed and matched, example: Pfizer/Moderna, Royal Caribbean was not considering that as "fully vaccinated", they are seeing it as 1 dose of 2 different vaccines, not 2 doses of 1 vaccine.

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Seems like 2 contradictory statements here from 2 different people at Royal. 

1 minute ago, Bronx12 said:

As usual, I guess it depends on what information has been given the reps, unfortunate really. The rep I spoke to said that new information had just come out that day that I had called. Hopefully noone gets turned away from misinformation.

That would be unfortunate for several hundred thousand Canadians who have no choice but to do mixed doses, including my wife who is Diamond C&A.

29 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

Sorry.  I am talking about by business development manager (well above the reps) who asked the question at their weekly leadership meeting.