Freedom of the Seas July sailings Healthy Sail Requirements.

Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

I just received this email for our July sailing which includes information about unvaccinated procedures including a 136.00 fee for covid testing for unvaccinated people.

GETTING READY TO CRUISE FROM FLORIDAOn Freedom of the Seas July 2021 Departures

The protocols communicated here apply only to guests departing in July from Miami, Florida on Freedom of the Seas®. We will continue to update these protocols as public health situations evolve. Guidance for all other departure ports is still in development with federal, state and local authorities. Booked guests will be provided full details specific to their port of departure prior to sailing.

health-safety-insurance-icon-tile.png

Vaccination Guidelines

For Freedom of the Seas® sailings departing in July 2021 from Miami, Florida, we strongly recommend all guests 16 and older be fully vaccinated. To be considered fully vaccinated, the final dose of the vaccine must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.

At check-in, guests will be asked to provide documentation of their vaccination, such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. Those who are 16 and older and do not have or are unable to provide documentation will be considered unvaccinated.

Our unvaccinated guests must undergo additional COVID-19 testing at their own expense, and follow the health protocols described below, which are based on guidance from the CDC.

If you do not wish to undergo or pay for additional testing, or adhere to these health and safety protocols, we are happy to provide you with a refund. We believe that in the coming months, restrictions and requirements will be more accommodating as public health circumstances evolve.

All crew onboard Freedom of the Seas will be fully vaccinated.

Read Detailed Vaccine FAQs

health-safety-testing-icon-navigation.png

Testing Requirements

Vaccinated Guests

Vaccinated guests do not have any testing requirements.

COVID-19 Testing for Unvaccinated Guests

As a requirement to sail with us, all unvaccinated guests age 2 and older must undergo multiple COVID-19 tests. Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard before disembarking will be conducted by licensed and accredited third-party testing providers we have contracted. Our unvaccinated guests must register for this test and agree to the third-party testing provider terms and conditions. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

For unvaccinated guests 16 and older, the total charge from the third-party testing vendor for these tests is $136 USD per guest. This amount will be applied to the guest’s onboard expense account. Royal Caribbean will pay the testing vendor(s) on the guest’s behalf and will not retain any part of the testing costs. For guests age 2 to 15, we will cover the cost of any required testing.

The testing required of our unvaccinated guests is described below.

Pre-Cruise
Unvaccinated guests 16 years of age and older will need to undergo an RT-PCR test administered by an accredited laboratory of the guest’s choice, and taken no more than three days before sailing. We will require documentation of a negative result for this test prior to embarkation. All costs for this test are the unvaccinated guest’s responsibility.

At the Terminal
Unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older are required to take an RT-PCR test when checking in at the terminal, which will be administered by one of our testing vendors. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Prior to Disembarking
While onboard, unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older will be required to undergo antigen testing before disembarking at the end of the voyage. This test will be conducted the day before the cruise ends by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

These tests will be complimentary for guests ages 2-15.

Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.

Read Detailed Testing FAQs

health-safety-clipboard-checklist-icon-navigation.png

What To Bring

Travel Documentation Checklist

Guests sailing from Miami, Florida on Freedom of the Seas® in July 2021 will need to have the following documents with them when they arrive to board the ship.

• Passport Books (not cards) are strongly recommended, but not required. Passports must be valid for at least six months after the sailing’s return date. Birth certificates and/or driver’s licenses are accepted when passports are not available.
  • COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card OR Negative RT-PCR Test Result to board the ship, for guests 16 and over.
  • Health Questionnaire to be completed on our Royal Caribbean App the day before you board.

Read Detailed Travel Documents FAQs

check-in-icon.png

Cruise Ready Recap

Follow these steps for a smooth boarding day.

• 30 Days Before: Download the Royal Caribbean App and check in for your cruise. Once in the app, you’ll select a 30-minute arrival time slot for your boarding day. It is very important you stick to this arrival window, as we’re arranging the boarding and testing process to accommodate a certain number of guests at one time.
  • 3 Days Before: All unvaccinated guests age 16 and older must take an RT-PCR test no more than 3 days before their sailing.
  • 1 Day Before: All guests must complete our Guest Health questionnaire on the Royal App.

health-safety-family-travel-icon-navigation.png

What to Expect On Boarding Day

Getting ready to go aboard

• Arrive at the terminal within the arrival time slot you selected during Royal App check-in. Those who arrive early will not be able to begin boarding, and those who arrive late will need to wait until we are able to work them into another group.
  • We’ll guide you step by step on the document validation and rapid RT-PCR testing process. Expect a short wait time for your results.
  • Make sure you wear your face mask at all times during the boarding process.

Read Detailed Boarding Day FAQs

health-safety-ship-icon-hub.png

Onboard the Ship

Venue Access
Since the majority of our guests will be vaccinated on Freedom of the Seas, there will be venues and events restricted to vaccinated guests only. We’ll do our best to create opportunities for all guests to enjoy their time with us. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise.

Face Masks
Vaccinated and unvaccinated guests are required to wear masks indoors unless seated and actively eating or drinking. Masks are not required in your stateroom, when you are with your traveling party, outdoors, or at Perfect Day at CocoCay, unless in a crowded setting.

Masks won’t be required for vaccinated guests when in venues (bars, lounges, restaurants and entertainment) or at events designated for vaccinated guests only.

In the coming days, we are expecting updated guidance from the CDC on mask policies for vaccinated guests and will update you at that time.

Guests under the age of 2 do not need to wear a mask.

Physical Distancing
Venues will be set up with proper spacing and we ask guests to abide by physical distancing, especially when interacting with those outside of their traveling party.

Dining
All dining venues will offer spaced seating. It is strongly encouraged that you make dining reservations via Cruise Planner before your cruise or the Royal Caribbean app onboard.

In the Main Dining Room, we will designate areas for vaccinated and unvaccinated reservations to dine separately. Unfortunately, My Time Dining will not be available to unvaccinated guests.

In addition, while Windjammer will be open, the food will now be served by our crew.

Entertainment
Venues will offer spaced seating and more showtimes throughout your sailing. Select showtimes will be for vaccinated guests only, and others will welcome both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests. More information will be provided onboard. Be sure to make show reservations once onboard using the Royal Caribbean app.

safest-destinations.png

Going Ashore

All guests are subject to restrictions and requirements as defined by local authorities in the ports we visit. Details will be provided onboard. It is reasonable to expect that unvaccinated guests will be subject to stricter protocols than vaccinated guests.

health-safety-phone-app-icon.png

Questions?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don’t cruise until August on Allure so it may change but not totally happy about having to wear the mask. We are all vaccinated. I do no there is a very very small chance to still test positive even after vaccinated but still. 

Well, I guess this answers a lot of questions.  Thanks for posting it.  $136 per person is whopping expensive if you have a family going over the age of 16.  A HUGE incentive to get vaccinated if you want to cruise.  

I just feel bad for those people who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, pcur said:

Well, I guess this answers a lot of questions.  Thanks for posting it.  $136 per person is whopping expensive if you have a family going over the age of 16.  A HUGE incentive to get vaccinated if you want to cruise.  

I just feel bad for those people who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons.

Actually, while the fee may be an incentive to get vaccinated... you are going to have to wear a mask indoors whether you are vaccinated or not... at least until you scramble to a location where you are free to take it off....  Not much benefit to being vaccinated in that sense (forget the protection from the virus aspect).

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kearney said:

Actually, while the fee may be an incentive to get vaccinated... you are going to have to wear a mask indoors whether you are vaccinated or not... at least until you scramble to a location where you are free to take it off....  Not much benefit to being vaccinated in that sense (forget the protection from the virus aspect).

Love to see how they are going to be running around enforcing arbitrary mask wearing all over the ship. Good luck with that royal. These guidelines are going to change soon 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mavo68 said:

I don’t cruise until August on Allure so it may change but not totally happy about having to wear the mask. We are all vaccinated. I do no there is a very very small chance to still test positive even after vaccinated but still. 

I agree, I am not happy about wearing a mask indoors.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Love to see how they are going to be running around enforcing arbitrary mask wearing all over the ship. Good luck with that royal. These guidelines are going to change soon 

These aren't decisions being made by Royal. These are CDC requirements for sailing with less than 95% vaccinated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

I agree. I am pissed. I am

vaccinated and booked this cruise with the understanding it would be all vaccinated. I’m not wearing a mask onboard because they chose more revenue over all else. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I agree, I am not happy about wearing a mask indoors.

I hope many cancel their cruises. I don’t have to wear a mask in public at home, I’m not doing it for no reason on vacation. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kearney said:

Mask wearing doesn't bother me.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I hope many cancel their cruises. I don’t have to wear a mask in public at home, I’m not doing it for no reason on vacation. 

Since our July cruise is only a 4 day, we will try it and see if it is ok. If not, then we will use Cruise With Confidence to cancel our August sailing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pcur said:

Mask wearing doesn't bother me.

No matter what I do my mask fogs up.... I can stand it for short bursts...but find myself pulling at it to clear up the fog...yes I tried the kleenex to absorb moisture..works for short periods.... I can't see spending thousands for that... but I am only on Royal for Nassau...other cruises on X. If the Royal one isn't as much fun...will rent a condo at the beach...there I can go anywhere maskless...

These rules are very encouraging -- they will increase the chance of a successful sailing.  It's imperative that they go smoothly without outbreaks or else there will be cancellations and possibly another long pause in service.  I agree that it's not ideal that vaccinated persons have to wear masks -- perhaps this will change down the road.  

• Like 4

Just now, kearney said:

No matter what I do my mask fogs up.... I can stand it for short bursts...but find myself pulling at it to clear up the fog...yes I tried the kleenex to absorb moisture..works for short periods.... I can't see spending thousands for that... but I am only on Royal for Nassau...other cruises on X. If the Royal one isn't as much fun...will rent a condo at the beach...there I can go anywhere maskless...

I can understand your (and others) frustration over this.  I wear glasses, too, and I bought a supply of OptiPlus Anti-Fog Lens Wipes.  I keep the lenses coated, and it helps a lot.

I doubt that RCCL will require masks outside on deck in uncrowded areas.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

These aren't decisions being made by Royal. These are CDC requirements for sailing with less than 95% vaccinated.

You know you are correct... I keep getting mixed up with all the different protocols... will be interesting to see what happens with Celebrity.... and the vaccine passport ban... if they have to institute Royal rules... I will have a problem with that.. I can handle perhaps for a few days..but a 12 nighter... no way

1 minute ago, pcur said:

I can understand your (and others) frustration over this.  I wear glasses, too, and I bought a supply of OptiPlus Anti-Fog Lens Wipes.  I keep the lenses coated, and it helps a lot.

I doubt that RCCL will require masks outside on deck in uncrowded areas.  

Thanks for that suggestion.. I will look into that... but I think the rules are pretty clear... Now.. perhaps they can make certain all bars, perhaps the solarium, gym, spa, dinning room late seating and theater late seating (since fewer kids in any event) vaccinated only... that might help...  

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

Thanks for that suggestion.. I will look into that... but I think the rules are pretty clear... Now.. perhaps they can make certain all bars, perhaps the solarium, gym, spa, dinning room late seating and theater late seating (since fewer kids in any event) vaccinated only... that might help...  

That is entirely possible.  I read on another thread they might have an unvaccinated designating dining area.  Also, they can have a separate section in the theaters and ice shows for unvaccinated passengers.  Someone posted a picture of the ice show seating yesterday/day before, and they are really separating people, and having more shows.

I hope this changes by September, because I am done w/ Covid rules and restrictions.  My family is vaccinated and no way am I going to be more restricted on a vacation then I am at home...we're from California so just escaped from maskland on Tuesday.  Never, ever, ever, want to go there again.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

Exactly. When the CDC gets out of everbody's lives, the better off we'll all be. Their 15 months of fame has expired. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Cruises can not provide life saving measures at sea.

Your body- your choice.

But, in this case- cruises just can not help you if you deteriorate quickly. 

Therefore, if I was not vac'd. I would not be at sea.

And with being vac'd. I am not spending my much needed vacay in a mask and potentially locked down with an outbreak of unvac'd. Therefore, I will not sail from Florida. Which bites cause I have 2 booked in the late fall.  I will have to look to sailing from places that require vac's and no masks.

• Like 11