The Daily for Friday Jun 18, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good Friday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  What a great collection of days.  I’d like to splurge and call in sick to work, then go on a picnic and bring my fishing pole along.  Great quote by Benjamin Franklin, reminds me of another saying, when all is said and done, more gets said than done.  The meal suggestion sound very tasty although I would have it minus the roll. Never been to Greece so I can’t wait to see the pictures from there.  Prayers to all in need including @StLouisCruisers traveling to her sisters funeral service.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

I guess my eyes weren't working so well this morning.  I misread panic as picnic, although I would take that over panic!  Time to schedule an eye appointment.

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Love the saying of the day. I’ll try hard not to panic when I have a phone conference with all the people, therapists and doctor taking care of Sam. They will tell us, me and my children, what their goals are for him based on what he’s accomplished so far, and when they plan to send him home. Yesterday,  my son in law took one of my NY grandsons  to the rehab so he could visit with his grandfather. They thought he looked well and we’re hoping he’d make a full recovery. 

My housekeeper is coming today and I am ever so grateful Imdont have to tackle the cleaning on my own.

Last night Ingot creative and had Grub HUP deliver some sushi from a restaurant.

Depending on the news, and how I feel after hearing it, I’ll come back and report. 

Carol

Hoping your meeting is encouraging, Carol.  Sam definitely has the right spirit. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ann @cat shepard, my sister went to Iceland a few years ago and to see the Northern Lights they went very late and way, way out of the city. They all layed down on blankets to watch the show. But I think the time you go you won't be able to see them? 

image.png.6fc4e30090ba70eadd7169f7ef420363.png

Have a great weekend. Love, blessings, prayers and Cheers. Xx

Joy, you are correct. This is not the right time of year to see the Northern Lights. But there are a couple of places in Reykjavik that offer you an “aurora experience”, so we are hoping to visit one of them. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13

My first sunrise from the June-July lull will go back to June 3 (2016) to my Anthem of the Seas Bermuda plus cruise.  It was the first day out of Bayonne on the way to Bermuda.

dawn0603.jpg

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning all!
It's a gorgeous morning, and it will slowly heat up in the coming week.  It's nice to have dry weather for a change 😉  

I don't have the patience to go fishing, DH has done a bit but not in recent years.  I tend not to panic, and my splurge lately is buying tours for our Med cruise this fall.  I wouldn't let myself for the longest time, so many disappointments with cancellations, but the planner in me won out.  🙂  Will pass on the meal, I'm not a fan of scallops.

Today I'm going to do something I haven't done in decades.  My niece has a pie cherry tree at their new place and asked if I'd like to come pick some....I had told her how hard they are to find, and how short the season is.  Of course I jumped at the chance, but now I'm wondering about that ladder....hopefully there are some low hanging cherries!  And hopefully I do get enough to can a few jars for future pies.  

We were at Katakolon on our last cruise, fall of 2019.  We went to Olympia and then a wine tasting.  It's on our itinerary again for this fall, but I'm thinking of just staying in Katakolon this time and browsing.  It seems like all the tours go to Olympia -- if any of you have other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Olive trees

936478173_olivetrees.jpg.2fcf1cea6efc61bd9db97e3e3eab7cc7.jpg

877829006_Olympiasite.jpg.af4ce514b9da8d981bb6a399adb68b88.jpg

401083684_Olympiaruins.jpg.7399d9daaf4e6847b2290c4f594ff14e.jpg

76107940_Olympiacolumns.jpg.d6ce5553eb2aeef73bdc52e1a22a022d.jpg

Olympia.jpg.fcef447a492a5cdaec7c389e242e3baf.jpg

233209220_tumbledcolumns.jpg.335831d10e8e2016db0a18ae46c80b2b.jpg

Bowl where the flame sat

810786081_bowlwhereflamewaslit.jpg.bbab058209c05689d7903e1a1b348d95.jpg

Footprint of the 9-foot statue that had been on this pedestal

359486540_9-foottallstatuefootprint.thumb.jpg.02505b7746794c1294edcefd14cbea2a.jpg

entry.jpg.0c97078561459d9ff277dae1cde5b234.jpg

1425303361_tallcolumns.thumb.jpg.4082659a8791621e3c2eef7d17e3f715.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists. 

I remember taking a cab to board the Nieuw Amsterdam for a Transatlantic in Barcelona and seeing NO ships.😯 Talk about panic....looked over paperwork, had the right day but found out that ships could not come in due to a storm. HAL put us up at the Hilton and the next day I did splurge on a unique scarf at the mall close by.😉

We haven't been to the 'port of the day' only to Corfu, Mykonos and Athens (🚢 Princess).

🍷Love most Pinot Noirs!🍷

Special condolences to Sandi @StLouisCruisers and prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie.....101° later today!🙃

panic-day.jpg

• Like 25

48 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I guess my eyes weren't working so well this morning.  I misread panic as picnic, although I would take that over panic!  Time to schedule an eye appointment.

Welcome to the club. LOL

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ann @cat shepard, my sister went to Iceland a few years ago and to see the Northern Lights they went very late and way, way out of the city. They all layed down on blankets to watch the show. But I think the time you go you won't be able to see them? 

Yes, July is not a good time for the Northern Lights in Iceland. Here is a view from my hotel window at around 2:45 am. It was quite light (and I was fascinated by the light show at the Harpa Performing Arts Center across the street).

24AF7951-D0AB-431B-8811-7A98166E99EE.jpeg

• Like 20

We have had the pleasure to get to Katakolon about five times now , and besides going to the museum we have done olive oil and also wine tasting on some of these visits .
I will check if I have some favourite pictures at hand to share with you from a few of our different cruises , because I think we will again get lots of pictures today 

DSCN4385.thumb.jpg.5f345a06ac4365f1ca780e5fcf7736a5.jpg

DSCN4405.thumb.JPG.a659da8b12875cce41952fd3aa1cd5c7.JPG

DSCN4418.thumb.jpg.8b2fbfb106d3e4f3a2596e1a04621ec7.jpg

DSCN4419.thumb.JPG.1a6319a810fb19e582ed1318fd4da38e.JPG

Very nice how they placed all of these pieces back together to show us what it looked like 

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.162202191876c6aab60ba085e366b489.JPG

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.a23be5cb658d87643684ced643a2c704.JPG

IMG_0338.thumb.JPG.c651b01d492c700c3df1e8008c48abdf.JPG

With our grandsons , first time Europe for them , what an eye opener specially for Spencer who's favourite subject was Greek Mythology

69494628_10157522079069134_3875773303884873728_n.thumb.jpg.69d552ce593c260e850300b2c80ce3dd.jpg

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.0d3dc6edf9ec24aea4cb35653ca90d51.JPG

Premier Cruise Koningsdam 

DSCN8197.thumb.JPG.1f8c8043e158a3e025f0e4195582b92c.JPG

IMG_3640.thumb.JPG.64c41d2ba54bf17e45411bee44de840e.JPG

DSCN8203.thumb.JPG.102aba78d2e60de9bcd795bee34c2645.JPG

DSCN8213.thumb.JPG.9be1db10e3a8882d74842d4fb5fb939a.JPG

DSCN8215.thumb.JPG.507e481531ad243750eb411feed77e61.JPG

DSCN8224.thumb.jpg.fb02637e79c0d92a81e8cf45ee4905d8.jpg

….and another 100 meter dash  …. Ready …..Start …….Go ! 

DSCN8226.thumb.JPG.4e3a67cfd01817271b292fbad417d49f.JPG

They set a new Olympic record  ! 

Great memories of all the times we were there 

Tony 😄😄
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Quick post, still scrapbooking cruises.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Cranberry Mule:

Ingredients

2 oz. cranberry juice
2 oz. vodka
1/4 c. lime juice, plus extra for garnish
3 oz.ginger beer
1 Handful fresh or frozen cranberries
Directions

Combine cranberry juice, vodka and lime in a glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer, whole cranberries and garnish with a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 11.18.44 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

First flight since Pandemic. Who are all these masked strangers?

Off to Pittsburgh to visit son and family or we could call it evacuating from the tropical storm formulating in the Gulf!

America is on the move as Atlanta’s airport is like days of yore!

Thanks Rich and all who contribute to the Daily.

Safe travels to you both.

~TC

• Like 11

We are still having our heat wave but it’s better then cold and freezing in June so no complaining here. Today I meet a friend for lunch. Such a nice treat to be able to do that again. Then into town for groceries for my company coming this weekend. 
Thanks Rich and everyone for all they add to this community of dailyites. And the pictures both yesterday and today are great. 

Edited by lindaler
Don’t know how to spell daily ites or people who do things daily.
  • Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I fished once (deep sea) many years ago and maybe I'll splurge today and have a glass of wine (I cut back since starting WW). No panicking.

Good quote.

I'm not a seafood person. I like the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece on a land trip, but not Olympia. Thanks for photos from those who have been there.

Storms here this evening. I'm going to an afternoon movie and think I'll wear a mask if there are too many people there.

@StLouisCruisers Thinking of you and your family this weekend.

@mamaofami I hope your meeting about Sam's program and progress is encouraging.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

Good day all. Just spent a lovely morning making butter tarts with my oldest granddaughter. The tarts turned out very well - we used maple syrup instead of corn syrup and it makes a big difference, plus she got to tell me about her trip planning. Six of them (20 year olds) will be flying to Calgary at the end of august and driving to Canmore from where they will do day trips and day hikes in the Rockies. Great to see another planner in the family - her mother does it well, too.

we will be doing a family get together tomorrow for Father’s Day since we are now allowed 10 outside. Looking forward to that. And on Monday the two youngest grandchildren (17) can register for their second shot. It will be good to have the entire family vaccinated. 

prayers to all who need them. Safe travels to those on the road. Cheers to all.

• Like 19

Will try to post successfully today (still embarrassed for the triple post from Wednesday).  Whether posting from Ipad or laptop, things have been funky!  Many thanks for all who start, maintain lists, and those who post for this daily dose of cheer!

No panicking here, and no fishing (too hot!).  I only went fishing once with my DF and he never went again because he said I wouldn't keep quiet (I was only 6 years old).  My splurge will be booking some shore excursions for my Alaska cruise--need to work on the spending, because I am fairly close to 4 Star (and free laundry).

Think the wildfires (all small) are under control at this point.  We just need rain and cooler weather in the Western part of the state now and for the next few months.  Our air is horrible because of smoke from fires in other states.

Have a good day, everyone!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Joy, you are correct. This is not the right time of year to see the Northern Lights. But there are a couple of places in Reykjavik that offer you an “aurora experience”, so we are hoping to visit one of them. 

You maybe surprised,  they’ve been active here the last week.  

• Like 12

Good morning, all! I like fishing, and may splurge later by booking flights for our trip to Africa this November. The trip has full cancel for any reason insurance up to 72 hours before departure. The airfare, I’m not so sure about. We have all had far too much International Panic over the past 15 months or so. I really doesn’t need a special day!

Debbie, the meal sounds wonderful, but I’d go for lettuce boats instead of buns. @StLouisCruisersSandi, my thoughts are with you for your sisters funeral. I hope your family can find some solace together. @mamaofami Carol, I hope the call about Sams path forward and coming home date is all good news!

We had a wonderful surprise yesterday. On the way back to Chilliwack we stopped in at DH’s favourite restaurant in Surrey. There was a vaccination center across the road, with a big sign saying walk in appointments available. We went to check it out, and they were taking standbys for extra doses. The priority was first doses, but there was space for a limited number of second doses, open to those with a first dose eight or more weeks earlier. My first dose was eight weeks to the day! We had a bit of a wait, but not long. So now both of us are fully vaccinated with both shots! While they were entering us into the system, they cancelled our existing appointments so others booking can pick them up. Today I’m a bit tired, and my throat is tickling, but that’s all. I’m so pleased!

Happy Friday, and we’re one step closer to rejoining our BHB’s!

3ECDC7F0-81FA-4EB7-9F6C-153E686BB21D.thumb.jpeg.160c0dcc91e5025977c82aad057686a4.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 30