1 COVID positive passenger and 4 quarantining on 6/15 Orion Bermuda Cruise

B_A_H

Those of us in the Bermuda forum are obviously discussing this heavily.  Here's a brief recap based on info from those onboard:

• A social influencer from the site that can't be named was on the ship in the Owner's Suite.
  • Viking allowed/facilitated a gathering of reportedly 35 people for him to host an in-suite party and dinner in the dining room.
  • Said influencer was on a 6 person shore excursion where one passenger tested positive.
  • The Captain announced that there was (at least) 1 COVID positive passenger onboard. 
  • At least 4 people have been removed from the ship and have to quarantine at their own expense in Bermuda for 14 days before they can fly home.

What we're asking in the Bermuda forum:

• Why does Viking have protocols if they are going to bend them at will?
  • Was the excursion where people were exposed a Viking excursion?   (We're currently allowed to explore Bermuda on our own).
  • How was the positive test discovered (tube spitting, something else?)
  • Can Viking be trusted to enforce their own protocols going forward?

Needless to say none of this is good news for the very first sailing of Viking's Bermuda series.  @MRGACRUZR cruiser is on the ship and has been posting in the Bermuda forum.  I'm sure there will be more on this as it evolves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is so much room here for conjecture and assumptions to create debating points based on vapor. I have tried to be very careful to not muddy the simple facts, based on Steve's post and the Captain's announcement. Let it be known: I feel safe.

FACTS:

There were social events facilitated by Viking involving more than 4 people. (Steve's Viking Facebook Group)

4 people were removed from the ship, one tested positive on day 4.

This incident happened 8 days from a negative pre travel PCR, 4 days from a Bermuda entry PCR nasal swab, 4 days from our first Viking daily spit test. (My personal experience)

We test first thing every morning (spit test)

The four removed were in a mini van together. (Steve's Viking Facebook group)

Bermuda has quarantined them for 14 days, at their own expense.(Steve's Viking Facebook group)

Edited by MRGACRUZR

3 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

There is so much room here for conjecture and assumptions to create debating points based on vapor. I have tried to be very careful to not muddy the simple facts, based on Steve's post and the Captain's announcement. Let it be known: I feel safe.

FACTS:

There were social events facilitated by Viking involving more than 4 people. (Steve's Viking Facebook Group)

4 people were removed from the ship, one tested positive on day 4.

This incident happened 8 days from a negative pre travel PCR, 4 days from a Bahamas entry PCR nasal swab, 4 days from our first Viking daily spit test. (My personal experience)

We test first thing every morning (spit test)

The four removed were in a mini van together. (Steve's Viking Facebook group)

Bahamas has quarantined them for 14 days, at their own expense.(Steve's Viking Facebook group)

First - thank you all for starting this forum, and for getting us the facts, MRGACRUZR.

Just a note - I know you mean "Bermuda" and not "Bahamas".

Would like to know how others on your cruise are taking this?  Are people now appearing to be more careful?  I can envision something like when COVID had gotten worse and everyone would avoid getting near everyone like the plague.  Do you see any behavior modifications?   I would hope Viking would issue some sort of statement , beyond "they were removed". 

Withholding information is the worst source of conjecture and misunderstanding.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, B_A_H said:
  • How was the positive test discovered (tube spitting, something else?)
  • Can Viking be trusted to enforce their own protocols going forward

These are the question  I would like a official response to from Viking.

I would like a quick  response to all those who have paid for and many have  gotten final documents for our Bermuda cruises in June, July and August.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Azulann said:

These are the question  I would like a official response to from Viking.

I would like a quick  response to all those who have paid for and many have  gotten final documents for our Bermuda cruises in June, July and August.

Likewise.  THis is a firestorm.  I hope it goes all the way up to the Chairman.  It needs addressing as soon as possible.  My fear is Viking will not take action at all - driven by keeping the money and the need for cash flow.  If you look, this situation is being discussed on so many other Viking forums (Malta, Iceland, and more) as the ramifications clearly might apply to them as well. 

Viking - you had better listen and respond soon! 

The carefully and successfully created brand image is suffering a tarnishing - and this is from a VERY loyal Viking Customer.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

First - thank you all for starting this forum, and for getting us the facts, MRGACRUZR.

Just a note - I know you mean "Bermuda" and not "Bahamas".

Would like to know how others on your cruise are taking this?  Are people now appearing to be more careful?  I can envision something like when COVID had gotten worse and everyone would avoid getting near everyone like the plague.  Do you see any behavior modifications?   I would hope Viking would issue some sort of statement , beyond "they were removed". 

Withholding information is the worst source of conjecture and misunderstanding.

I fixed the Bahamas thing. Thanks.

Honestly, this is growing into something much bigger than it is, at least for today. Despite some of the musings of those NOT on this cruise, other than the issue of "the party" I've seen 100% compliance with Vikings protocols. I have not seen any change in passengers approach to cruising fun or extra precautions. Like I said earlier, I feel 100% safe. If I had attended any of the events, I may have a very little concern, in the back of my head. I trust the vaccine, I follow protocols, and the odds of a "breakthrough" the vaccine are so small that it's a non issue, to me. I think there may even be some science regarding breakthrough.

It probably had to take a certain confidence in the vaccine and protocols to book the very first cruise.

• Like 10

Thank you previous posters here.  Many of us on quickly upcoming Bermuda and Iceland cruises have concerns.  I am not so much worried about getting sick from Covid because I am vaccinated.  But I don't want to test positive, be in contact with others and wreck their vacation as well as mine.  So i am focused on what can I do to prevent my exposure.  I am equally concerned that i might be quarantined just because i happened to be seated next to someone who tested positive even though i am negative.  Viking really needs to be forthcoming.  I am with you on this CCWineLover.

• Like 5

There is a facebook post from one of the people put ashore. Apparently Viking worked a miracle with the government and the people involved are back aboard the Viking ship in their same room.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dwlmg said:

There is a facebook post from one of the people put ashore. Apparently Viking worked a miracle with the government and the people involved are back aboard the Viking ship in their same room.

So  they are self isolating at their  accommodations : The Viking Orion.

Great news. 

BTW I do not believe in miracles, even though I am a practicing Catholic.

"All persons must avoid the 3 C’s at all times: Closed Spaces, Crowded Places and Close-contact settings
If you test positive at any time, or if you are identified as a close contact of a positive person, you must self-isolate for 14 days at your accommodation at your cost. This applies even if you are vaccinated.'

_ from the Covid -19 travelers Quick Guide (Bermuda government web site)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you previous posters here.  Many of us on quickly upcoming Bermuda and Iceland cruises have concerns.  I am not so much worried about getting sick from Covid because I am vaccinated.  But I don't want to test positive, be in contact with others and wreck their vacation as well as mine.  So i am focused on what can I do to prevent my exposure.  I am equally concerned that i might be quarantined just because i happened to be seated next to someone who tested positive even though i am negative.  Viking really needs to be forthcoming.  I am with you on this CCWineLover.

We have considered the course of current events and plan to be as antisocial as possible when we board the Orion on 7/6.  We have all the respect in the world for our fellow travelers but we will not be joining you for dinner, meeting for drinks in the Explorers Lounge, or playing on your trivia team!  We will be six feet away, masks on and we will not be getting into any mini-vans with strangers for any excursions!  A polite “no thank you” and we’ll return to the ship!  We will save the social stuff for another time.

• Like 7

Well, if one can be sent into 14 day quarantine, confined strictly to a hotel room, merely from a contact tracing hit, cruising is out for us (when we can travel again).  At least on lines that require you to wear a tracing device or have a tracing app on your phone.  And even without those, taking a ship-sponsored shore excursion or spa appointment, etc. would be extremely unwise.  So not worth the risk.  And even “bubble” excursions could get you exiled!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We have considered the course of current events and plan to be as antisocial as possible when we board the Orion on 7/6.  We have all the respect in the world for our fellow travelers but we will not be joining you for dinner, meeting for drinks in the Explorers Lounge, or playing on your trivia team!  We will be six feet away, masks on and we will not be getting into any mini-vans with strangers for any excursions!  A polite “no thank you” and we’ll return to the ship!  We will save the social stuff for another time.

What is the point of spending all that money and going?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, if one can be sent into 14 day quarantine, confined strictly to a hotel room, merely from a contact tracing hit, cruising is out for us (when we can travel again).  At least on lines that require you to wear a tracing device or have a tracing app on your phone.  And even without those, taking a ship-sponsored shore excursion or spa appointment, etc. would be extremely unwise.  So not worth the risk.

Agree. I have been reading this thread. I suppose you really need to read the fine print as to how each country handles a positive case. What a nightmare for the others that were exposed and having their cruise fall apart and to spend 14 days in quarantine. 

Vaccinated persons are allowed to just carry on normally here in the USA if you are exposed. No quarantine. 

Buyer beware.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, if one can be sent into 14 day quarantine, confined strictly to a hotel room, merely from a contact tracing hit, cruising is out for us (when we can travel again).  At least on lines that require you to wear a tracing device or have a tracing app on your phone.  And even without those, taking a ship-sponsored shore excursion or spa appointment, etc. would be extremely unwise.  So not worth the risk.  And even “bubble” excursions could get you exiled!

You could have been on this cruise. Hope the birthday celebration was fabulous.

Whether on land or cruise, please read the fine print about COVID-19 Regulations in the foreign places you visit. 

Remember , we in the US are not the center of the world. Each country  has  its own protocol and laws.. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 5

Hoo boy!  Now Bermuda’s and Vikings’s contact tracing and quarantine rules are being”worked around” for a Viking cheerleader in the Owners Suite, that has a social media megaphone!  This smells fishier than the herring in Mamsens…

Well, this is why PR firms get paid the big bucks.  Just ask Bill Gates…

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Hoo boy!  Now Bermuda’s and Vikings’s contact tracing and quarantine rules are being”worked around” for a Viking cheerleader in the Owners Suite, that has a social media megaphone!  This smells fishier than the herring in Mamsens…

I am sure you and your wife are thanking your lucky cranberries today. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I am sure you and your wife are thanking your lucky cranberries today. 😉

Ha-ha!  But no, would rather have braved the covid slings and arrows than to have had to cancel for medical reasons.  Hopefully we’ll be able to travel again soon.  But we will be much more cautious and selective in choosing a trip, given what has been learned from this comedy of errors…

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, this is why PR firms get paid the big bucks.  Just ask Bill Gates…

LOL exactly.  I wonder if Viking will work as hard for us peons.

• Like 5

To me, this episode raises many questions for the future of cruising. The best vaccines are 95% effective. On a cruise with 800 passengers and 400 crew members and everyone vaccinated, it would seem that breakthrough cases are to be expected. The vaccine has been shown to limit serious complications and hospitalization for those who still get Covid. Covid will be with us a long time. It’s never going away. The best we can hope for is to limit the number who get it, the number hospitalized and the number who die. If people know ahead of time that being exposed to someone testing positive will result in their removal from the ship and quarantining at their own expense for up to 14 days, why would anyone be comfortable with cruising ever again?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Though I’m much too lazy to research it, is this “quarantine after a contract tracing hit” a Bermuda thing only?  Or do other countries require this?

Sounds like each country has its own quarantine requirements. And they change frequently. Sure makes travel interesting. 

Rose-colored-glasses scenario: as time passes and travelers don’t sicken and die en masse, cruise lines will eventually decide the contact-tracing and frequent testing cause more problems than they solve and instead just test people who report symptoms. That’s my hopeful prediction, anyway.

• Like 7