Silversea or Seabourn

Doolz

5 minutes ago, nowornever said:

.pretty sure they didn't have to abide by the no cabin smoking.  

I doubt this is the case.  I imagine that the butler or suite attendant (or a guest in a nearby suite) would have blown a whistle in this case.  AFAIK they were not violating any rules in their holding court with their placemats by the pool bar.  Smoking is permitted in designated areas on the pool deck.

4 hours ago, Observer said:

I believe it refers to two guests who camp out by the pool bar with personalized placemats and smoke/drink up a storm.  The placemats are laid out for them every late afternoon/evening.  It's the bar equivalent perhaps of getting up early each morning and reserving pool loungers.  

From post #51, I had assumed M&L refers to the Italian owners/founders, but I guess that is not the case.

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

From post #51, I had assumed M&L refers to the Italian owners/founders, but I guess that is not the case.

No it is a couple who have many days with Silversea, tip excessively and throw private parties for the crew.

• Like 1

To get back to the comparison, and talking about smoking, I wonder if it is still permitted on the outdoor dining area of the Terrazza?   Silversea did have a more lenient attitude to smokers than most lines, including Seabourn nowadays.

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

To get back to the comparison, and talking about smoking, I wonder if it is still permitted on the outdoor dining area of the Terrazza?   Silversea did have a more lenient attitude to smokers than most lines, including Seabourn nowadays.

I am fairly certain that smoking is not permitted anywhere in La Terrazza (including outside).

• Like 1

Now I think about it, I am sure you are right - I remembered a post on this board a year or so ago, not sure when, when someone complained bitterly that 'someone' unnamed was smoking out there, even though it was not allowed, and the staff said nothing.    I guess it might have been this couple?

• Like 1

I've also seen them smoking in Terrazza.  There are rules & then are are "rules."  I doubt the crew would intervene because they treat the crew very, very well.  Same with smoking in their cabin - they would probably pay any associated cleaning costs gladly.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Same with smoking in their cabin - they would probably pay any associated cleaning costs gladly.

Even after whatever cleaning they do, I would not want to be in that room next. Oh, wait, they probably are in a level of suite that we will never pay for. Problem solved. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Observer said:

I believe it refers to two guests who camp out by the pool bar with personalized placemats and smoke/drink up a storm.  The placemats are laid out for them every late afternoon/evening.  It's the bar equivalent perhaps of getting up early each morning and reserving pool loungers.  

I’m no Jack LaLanne myself but after observing these two every afternoon on a 15 day cruise, I’d say they’re pushing their luck 🍀 

New wifi packages (and free basic wifi for every guest) on Seabourn just announced:

I understand wifi is free and unlimited for everyone on Silversea.  Is it the same speed for everyone, or does Silversea also have a basic vs. an upgraded level of wifi service?

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about branded tote bag - is it given out at turndown on first day of sailing on Silversea?

Hi, I don't remember getting a "branded tote bag".  Maybe the higher end suites get one? I have no clue. I am just a regular cruiser in a regular balcony. I cannot recall receiving this tote bag you are referring to.

9 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

New wifi packages (and free basic wifi for every guest) on Seabourn just announced:

I understand wifi is free and unlimited for everyone on Silversea.  Is it the same speed for everyone, or does Silversea also have a basic vs. an upgraded level of wifi service?

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about branded tote bag - is it given out at turndown on first day of sailing on Silversea?

Silversea does have upgraded wifi service available for a price (and to those in high-end suites), but I find that basic wifi has always sufficed.

I am not aware that Silversea distributes any branded tote bags on most cruises (though they may on WC, etc.).

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I don't remember getting a "branded tote bag".  Maybe the higher end suites get one? I have no clue. I am just a regular cruiser in a regular balcony. I cannot recall receiving this tote bag you are referring to.

I was asking because, on Seabourn, every suite gets a branded tote bag.  The specialty suites used to get a nicer one, but then for a while they were giving the nicer one to all the suites.  Things may change post-Covid.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Silversea does have upgraded wifi service available for a price (and to those in high-end suites), but I find that basic wifi has always sufficed.

Is the basic wifi good enough for voice chat on Skype, Google phone and other VOIP call service?  I assume it's not good enough for video streaming?

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

NO TOTE BAG??? How will we survive?

Oh I know, I'll just bring one of the 728 Seabourn tote bags that I have at home.

Or the ones from EUROPA2. 

Or the ones from Oceania.

Or I could go and buy a new one.

Yeah, I'll just buy a new one.

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My favorites are the recent cotton ones with bold blue and white stripes since they are easy to recognize as belonging to a Seabourn passenger and you can fit a lot in them. Ideal for plane travel and for boarding ships with fragile items. Another favorite is from 10-15 years ago that are the off white bags saying Yachts of Seabourn. In those days the three 200 passenger ships were yacht-like with a stretch of the imagination. They are now with Windstar. We have come a long way!

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

NO TOTE BAG??? How will we survive?

Oh I know, I'll just bring one of the 728 Seabourn tote bags that I have at home.

Or the ones from EUROPA2. 

Or the ones from Oceania.

Or I could go and buy a new one.

Yeah, I'll just buy a new one.

😉

LOL....I am not even buying a new one.........and I will survive just fine😃👍

• Like 1

M&P Germany. I see your reference to the Europa2. Although I am an American, I have done 10 cruises on the E2. The last one was in 2019. I love that ship. A lot of fun memories. I have a copy of the music they play while leaving port saved on my computer and play if often. I may just carry my blue and white E2 tote bag on my November SS cruise 😂

11 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Is the basic wifi good enough for voice chat on Skype, Google phone and other VOIP call service?  I assume it's not good enough for video streaming?

I regularly use FaceTime with the basic wifi service.  The audio has hardly ever failed me (perhaps in very remote locations or in fjords &c where satellite access is constrained.  The video has often been usable with the basic/included wifi.  

• Like 1