The Pros and Cons of the Yacht Club.

chromered7

Just now, MarkusToe said:

You get everything, but not all for free😁

You can’t have a specialty restaurant meal served in the YC restaurant even if you’re willing to pay for it, MT, just to clarify, as the subject is about what you can get in YC.  

14 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Got a dry aged from butchers and paid for.... (2019)

I'm glad you posted this.  I believe it is the exception though as it would generate more of such from others noting such.  In my post regarding 'you can have anything that is on the ship' I should have specified that such generally does not include from the specialty restaurants.

4 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

On some ships the signs says "reserved for Yacht Club guests" so we're happy to use them and never feel that we are hijacking an elevator!

Meraviglia could surely use such an elevator particularly when the Main Theater show is finished!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

On some ships the signs says "reserved for Yacht Club guests" so we're happy to use them and never feel that we are hijacking an elevator!

Meraviglia could surely use such an elevator particularly when the Main Theater show is finished!  

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Even something from a specialty restaurant?

No, but the YC will have a go at their own derivative of it. When on Preziosa, we announced to the Restaurant Manager in YC that we'd be doing our complimentary Butchers Cut meal the following evening. He pleaded with us not to, rather let him know what we'd have chosen there and the YC would cook it for us....we agreed, and they did a 95% job of what Butchers Cut would have been....we couldn't find any reason to dine outwith the YC Restaurant. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, hamrag said:

we announced to the Restaurant Manager in YC that we'd be doing our complimentary Butchers Cut meal the following evening. He pleaded with us not to, rather let him know what we'd have chosen there and the YC would cook it for us....

...."pleaded with us not to"....  This seems a bit strange to me.  Why would he have pleaded with you/discouraged you to not experience Butcher's Cut?  Any ideas?  

It reflects on the YC asst m’D if the numbers dining in the restaurant aren’t what’s “expected” (rightly or wrongly).   Perhaps on that particular cruise they were having issues which caused him to try to encourage the ones that he could to dine there instead of elsewhere. 

We once went to the restaurant, but when we saw there was nothing on the menu that appealed we went to leave.  The (asst) m’D pleaded with us to stay and offered to do his best to get us something we’d like.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

...."pleaded with us not to"....  This seems a bit strange to me.  Why would he have pleaded with you/discouraged you to not experience Butcher's Cut?  Any ideas?  

Obviously a pride in their own ability to deliver similar quality, and go 'off menu' to meet our expectations....and they did it in style! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, hamrag said:

No, but the YC will have a go at their own derivative of it. When on Preziosa, we announced to the Restaurant Manager in YC that we'd be doing our complimentary Butchers Cut meal the following evening. He pleaded with us not to, rather let him know what we'd have chosen there and the YC would cook it for us....we agreed, and they did a 95% job of what Butchers Cut would have been....we couldn't find any reason to dine outwith the YC Restaurant. 

I know who you mean.  Pepe is outstanding.   I wish we could have him and Arthur on every cruise.  I truly felt I was in his restaurant in Italy.  

10 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

I know who you mean.  Pepe is outstanding.   I wish we could have him and Arthur on every cruise.  I truly felt I was in his restaurant in Italy.  

Indeed, on top of everything within the restaurant, at times you feel he has eyes in the back of his head!

On the US sailings the restaurant at dinner has always been packed for us so no one ever pleaded with us not to eat elsewhere.  In fact they hit you up first day for dinner time.  Then when you arrive for dinner they say how they have your spot ready.

We met the YC chef one day and commented on the lack of Indian dishes (he was Indian).  He promised to make us an Indian dinner—he did—and it was excellent.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:31 PM, rkacruiser said:

When you request something from a different restaurant, they have to send one of their staff to go down & get it which in turn effects the service in the YC restaurant. This was explained to me once by the head of the Coastal Kitchen, Royal Caribbean's suite restaurant.

I felt quite guilty because once before I requested an appetizer from a different restaurant & they got it without saying anything. I will never do that again. These people work hard enough.

You do NOT have to eat in the YC restaurant ! You can eat anywhere you want !

On Italian night we always go to the main restaurant because I like the menu better & there is a festive atmosphere there. Just tell your concierge in the morning & he makes a reservation for you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shippy said:

When you request something from a different restaurant, they have to send one of their staff to go down & get it which in turn effects the service in the YC restaurant. This was explained to me once by the head of the Coastal Kitchen, Royal Caribbean's suite restaurant.

I felt quite guilty because once before I requested an appetizer from a different restaurant & they got it without saying anything. I will never do that again. These people work hard enough.

You do NOT have to eat in the YC restaurant ! You can eat anywhere you want !

I doubt very seriously you would ever have either an MSC Yacht Club Director or a Yacht Club Restaurant Manager make a similar comment to a YC guest.  Just see how quickly the Top Sail bartender or Pool One bartender calls down to another bar if they run out of your favorite liquor. And they will send staff to get it. I myself personally have not requested an off-menu item, but I have had Peppe tell us he had prepared for us a special off-menu meal.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, rkacruiser said:

Likely it was due to a full booked/eventually closed for any reason venue at that day.

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Just see how quickly the Top Sail bartender or Pool One bartender calls down to another bar

I experienced such service.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, Beamafar said:

It reflects on the YC asst m’D if the numbers dining in the restaurant aren’t what’s “expected” (rightly or wrongly).   Perhaps on that particular cruise they were having issues which caused him to try to encourage the ones that he could to dine there instead of elsewhere. 

We once went to the restaurant, but when we saw there was nothing on the menu that appealed we went to leave.  The (asst) m’D pleaded with us to stay and offered to do his best to get us something we’d like.  

I have never experienced such a situation where there was nothing on the daily menu or the "always available" menu that had no appeal.  Yet, in such a situation, I can understand why the Maitre d' responded the way he did.  

Do you recall what you requested?   And, were they able to fulfill your request?  

Edited by rkacruiser

We have done many cruises with MSC but finally going yacht club with our 16 year old next year. Neither myself or her eat fish and the menus always have a reasonable amount of fish on them. We have always asked for a copy of the children's menu and both of us have ordered from this in the main dining room plenty of times. We often do a mixture of both menus and it has never been an issue!

I am assuming from reading this thread there is a children's menu in yacht club? can anyone post a copy please

3 hours ago, hannah29 said:

We have done many cruises with MSC but finally going yacht club with our 16 year old next year. Neither myself or her eat fish and the menus always have a reasonable amount of fish on them. We have always asked for a copy of the children's menu and both of us have ordered from this in the main dining room plenty of times. We often do a mixture of both menus and it has never been an issue!

I am assuming from reading this thread there is a children's menu in yacht club? can anyone post a copy please

Welcome to CC.  The YC dinner menu switched to more seafood back in 2019.  There is a section on right side of menu that is same every night.

Not sure if a kids menu but they'll bring you pretty much what ever you want.  I remember a family that had adult kids order burgers and fries for dinner.

4 hours ago, hannah29 said:

I'm not sure a 16 year old is really the target of the Children's Menu in the Yacht Club, but there is one.  I think you'll both be fine between the Regular B-L-D Yacht Club Menus, the incredible apps and tastes in the Lounge, the Pool Grill and Bar.  My wife is a "no fish" at all person; had plenty to select from, and you can have anything from any day of the week menu whenever you want (just ask ahead).  If you ask, you can get quite a variety of pasta offerings at any time also.

There is a YouTube video of the YC Meraviglia menus, including the Children's Menu @ the 1 minute mark.

• Like 1

Hi,

maybe not directly related to YC as this happens in the main dinning room as well.

It's not the "limited" daily selection and the focus on seafood in YC which I don't like.

It is the predictability of the menu. I can read right now from communicated menus what will be offered in the YC for lunch and dinner. Not much variation between the ships and neither between different locations. I have booked two YC cruises in Sept. 7 days each. Very likely the same will be offered.

To me this is not premium. I expect not much more variation in the daily menu, but variation from ship to ship from cruise to cruise and a bit consideration of the location.

Well, it was mentioned that I can ask for something different, within reasonable boundaries of course. I will try this.

That's only my view. Might be that some people really like and expect to know upfront what will be on the menu. I would expect constant quality but variation and surprise.

cheers

MouseBerry