Returnee

DeeDee Groff

It has been some years since I've cruised with Princess, but in the intervening years I have cruised extensively with Holland America.

I am seriously considering booking B2B with Princess (first cruise is 12 nights, the second is 36), and I am wondering if someone reading this post would fill me in on what I've missed.  I am particularly interested in "add-ons" to the basic fare plus taxes.  Also, if I book directly with Princess, can I transfer booking(s) to a TA?

If it helps, I will be sailing solo, and I'd like to know how MDR works.  Are there still traditional dining times, and if so, how would I indicate I'd like to join a table of other solo cruisers?

Thank you very much for bringing me up to date!

Princess now has Princess Savers fares and Princess Plus fares. The difference is that the Plus fares (at $40/person/day) include unlimited Internet time, the beverage package, and tips (called incentives) for dining staff and cabin steward.

You can transfer a Princess booking to a TA within 60 days of making the booking.

Pre-Pandemic there was Anytime Dining (show up when you want) and Traditional (an early and a late seating). Post Pandemic may be different as Princess is introducing an app for smart phones/tablets that allows you to pick a dining time for each evening. With no ships currently sailing, nobody knows how this affects the traditional dining option.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

I will be sailing solo, and I'd like to know how MDR works.  Are there still traditional dining times, and if so, how would I indicate I'd like to join a table of other solo cruisers?

I'm a solo and what I've noticed is that when I book the time I want in the MedallionClass app I am assigned to a table with other cruisers. No idea if they are solo .... 

Its called 'Dine My Way'

1 hour ago, caribill said:

You can transfer a Princess booking to a TA within 60 days of making the booking.

As long as the 60 days is also before final payment date, else must transfer before final payment date if you made booking less than 60 days from final payment date.

There are no frills fares and plus fares. Plus fares are $40/pp/day higher than the no frills fares. They include unlimited internet, the daily gratuity (now called crew incentive), and the Premier Beverage Package. The gratuity is worth $14.50/pp/day. Mini and full suites pay additional $1 & $2. The gratuity amount is charged to your on board account if you book the no frills fare. This leaves the real net extra right around $25. Unlimited internet is worth around $10 per day. If you are platinum or elite loyalty status then you can receive free minutes or a discount on the price. If you drink two alcoholic beverages/day plus a few brewed and specialty coffees, soda or water you will basically break even.

Dining. Princess will introduce Dine My Way when it returns to service. There is no active option to select anytime dining. You may want to think about selecting the same time each day and then make changes when you are on board. The other option is to reserve a time day by day. If you have platinum or elite loyalty status you can select your dining time once booked. If not then you have to wait until final payment. Once on board as a single you may be able to just show up at a DR. You probably would have to speak with the maitre'd. Once cruises begin additional experiences will be reported. 

You did not ask, but now all immigration and other pre-cruise required data can only be entered on the medallion class app using a smart phone or smart device. The windows based cruise personlizer program is gone. There are questions regarding passengers that do not have access to one of these smart devices. I have not seen a fully explained answer. 

• Like 1

I am wondering if the MD's do look to assign a mix of solo cruisers at same table if they have selected TD.  For Anytime, it would be difficult to get a group together as it would depend on a number of solo's showing up at about the same time.  

I would suggest speak to MD when on board.  They always have time in the afternoon of embarkation, or go early to dining.  Problem is three DR's, so if not finding the MD, a Head Waiter may be able to help.

Another idea is I have seen a get-together for solo cruisers in the Patter.  You might meet some people there who decide to get a table together.  DMW in the MClass App will allow you to book a table at the same time and together if you all agree to share info and become travel companions.  Otherwise, show up in person and ask the HW or MD to seat you all together.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-Pandemic:  I knew a Maitre d' that would personally arrange tables, but that was on the Coral (smaller ship).  He would try to sit "likes"  together (food allergies, special diets, sometimes from the same country/language).   Doubt that is done anymore.  

When I first started cruising, I happened to be placed on a large table of singles several times on Carnival ships.  That was a hoot.

Post-Pandemic, I can see that there will be more tables for two and, maybe, less table sharing.  No one knows for sure until cruising resumes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Post-Pandemic, I can see that there will be more tables for two and, maybe, less table sharing.  No one knows for sure until cruising resumes.

And what will happen for cruises this summer may be different for cruises next January.

• Like 3

When I sailed solo to Alaska, I was at a table for six with two couples and the father of one of the brides on my northbound cruise and at the same table with two couples and another solo traveler on my southbound one. On my solo cruise to the Panama Canal, I was assigned to a table for eight with three couples plus the brother of one of the husbands. 

We have had solo travelers assigned to our tables in traditional dining, generally to fill out a table where there's an odd number of people in a group traveling together.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, DeeDee Groff said:

how would I indicate I'd like to join a table of other solo cruisers

Are there other solos on your roll call that you'd like to link to & have at your table? That's what we did

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 12:35 AM, DeeDee Groff said:

It has been some years since I've cruised with Princess, but in the intervening years I have cruised extensively with Holland America.

I am seriously considering booking B2B with Princess (first cruise is 12 nights, the second is 36), and I am wondering if someone reading this post would fill me in on what I've missed.  I am particularly interested in "add-ons" to the basic fare plus taxes.  Also, if I book directly with Princess, can I transfer booking(s) to a TA?

If it helps, I will be sailing solo, and I'd like to know how MDR works.  Are there still traditional dining times, and if so, how would I indicate I'd like to join a table of other solo cruisers?

Thank you very much for bringing me up to date!

Congrats on all that wonderful time to be on board! I'll & others will try to assist.

1) Princess is more of a step up these days, Full suites still give more attention on HAL(butler service etc.)Princess offers Club Class, which we love. More perks. I'm not sure, but think you can change bookings fairly easily with a Princess direct. They do as well in not better than many TA's

2)There still are TD seatings(traditional) on Princess, though it's becoming more of a Select dining class as are many ships. Do see the Maître D once on board & they can help you with seating times, etc. Do try requesting a seating with other solo pax. It should work out.

• Like 1