Silver Spirits Drinks Package

luv2cruzuk

4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I repent. Lovely to see a light hearted reply. I bet face to face you are good company.  May see you onboard sometime for an included drink as I recall you are not a fan of the silver spirits package which, after all, is the subject of this thread.

Maybe point that out to the person who got this going by posting "Not a Silver Spirits package question but does anyone know what brand of VODKA they provide in the minifridges?" And while you're at it maybe mention that her question had already been answered multiple times elsewhere. 

Vodka does seem to be an unusual spirit to be picky about. As I have said before I think for us buying our drinks outside of dinner as we enjoy them will probably work best. I do hope that they have a couple things I enjoy, Crown Royal whiskey and Ron Zacapa rum. I enjoy them both on ice. I think for cocktails it is the proper proportions of the ingredients that make or break the drink.

Of course gin is a whole different spirit, for those that enjoy it the variations are endless.

• Like 2

The only drink menu that I have seen is the one that is posted in MVJ regarding the SSBP and that is the one for the Viking Living Room.  Does this menu list all of the available drinks, or are there some other drink menus for other venues?

2 hours ago, uktog said:

This is maybe a stupid question but if I see a gin at $6 do I pay the extra $ also shown for a tonic on a later page if I am "paying as I go"  This might be a "decider"

I'd just order a gin and tonic.  Since Viking is so reasonable with drink prices, I'm betting the tonic cost is for someone who just orders a glass of tonic water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

This is maybe a stupid question but if I see a gin at $6 do I pay the extra $ also shown for a tonic on a later page if I am "paying as I go"  This might be a "decider"

I've always assumed that you do have to pay for mixers on top of the spirits. You'll see that the mixers are in 20cl measures, a fairly usual mixer amount, whereas coke and sprite are 33cl, a 'standard' soft drink can. Even with this extra, Viking drinks do seem reasonably priced compared to other cruise lines. For us the options of a sail-away prosecco in the Explorers' Lounge, a G&T (or 2!) in the evening and soft drinks during the day (it's a pity that Viking don't include these for everyone) pushes us over the line to opt for the Silver Spirits package. It's also nice to have the upgraded pairing wines in the Chef's Table (in theory a $25 supplement) but for us this is a bonus rather than a reason to buy the package. Plus you can choose from a reasonably wide range of wines by the glass at lunch and dinner rather than the daily standard offering of one red or one white.

Edited by Janet&David

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I am pretty sure the price for the gin will include the tonic. I know when I ordered a Hendricks G&T I am pretty sure it was $8. I KNOW it didn’t cost $11.75!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Janet&David said:

I've always assumed that you do have to pay for mixers on top of the spirits. You'll see that the mixers are in 20cl measures, a fairly usual mixer amount, whereas coke and sprite are 33cl, a 'standard' soft drink can. Even with this extra, Viking drinks do seem reasonably priced compared to other cruise lines. For us the options of a sail-away prosecco in the Explorers' Lounge, a G&T (or 2!) in the evening and soft drinks during the day (it's a pity that Viking don't include these for everyone) pushes us over the line to opt for the Silver Spirits package. It's also nice to have the upgraded pairing wines in the Chef's Table (in theory a $25 supplement) but for us this is a bonus rather than a reason to buy the package. Plus you can choose from a reasonably wide range of wines by the glass at lunch and dinner rather than the daily standard offering of one red or one white.

That’s helpful I see you did not mention rose just daily red or white. That could be the clincher as I don’t drink enough to justify the upgrade otherwise as we will have miniatures in the room. Wish they would allow just one to upgrade like Azamara does. That’s been a great compromise for us before 

And if the daily selections aren’t to your likely ask if they have anything else available. They usually try to accommodate. They served a white I really liked one day.  When it changed the next I asked if the previous wine was still around.  Never had to ask again, when the server saw me sit down at the Aquavit for lunch, she immediately brought it over. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

That’s helpful I see you did not mention rose just daily red or white. That could be the clincher as I don’t drink enough to justify the upgrade otherwise as we will have miniatures in the room. Wish they would allow just one to upgrade like Azamara does. That’s been a great compromise for us before 

If only one of you drinks then its probably cheaper to pay as you go than get the package for both. 

Unless of course, you are going to say bollocks to it, I'm on holiday, I am not the designated driver for the next week. Not that I've done that obviously😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

Depending on which room you booked you could ask for the wine in the fridge to be one of the 'house' rose options. If you get room service when the restaurants are open then the house wines can be included. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, JeriGail said:

@Clay Clayton posted all of the bar menus in a thread once, and I downloaded most of them.  The Torshavn menu was the most unique because of the Armagnac choices.  They're all fairly similar, but have a couple of differences

TorshavnMenu.pdf 2.46 MB · 32 downloads PapsTheExplorersBarMenu.pdf 2.9 MB · 29 downloads ThePoolBarMenu.pdf 57.84 kB · 33 downloads

This is helpful!

Glancing through them...  Appears that the scotch selections are rather limited.  Is that the case, or these menus are not representative of what I would find once onboard?

4 hours ago, Selion said:

This is helpful!

Glancing through them...  Appears that the scotch selections are rather limited.  Is that the case, or these menus are not representative of what I would find once onboard?

They are representative of what was available in July on Sky in Iceland. I’m not a scotch drinker but the gins listed are what I recall drinking 🍸😂

They did have one other gin not on the menu, Highclere but it was to my taste.  

On 11/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, Selion said:

The scotch selections that are available within the SS package price limitations are quite sparse.  Further so, when you consider that you basically have two different "alcohol environments" aboard -- one for the Torshavn bar and one for the rest of the ship.  And remember that Torshavn doesn't open until 9pm or later.

There is only one significantly peaty scotch available in the "regular" bars - Bowmore.  Otherwise, you have the usual JWalker Red/Black, Chivas and a pair of Glenlivets - the 12 year and the non-age statement "Founders".  Go to Torshavn and you get a few other options, but nothing to write home about, unless you want to drop $100+ on a special Highland Park.

Admittedly limited.  We are on ships at sea.  We personally are Bourbon drinkers.  I don't expect to find Uncle Nearest on ships.  We "make do" with Jack Daniel's, Maker's Mark, or if in Torshavn Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek.  Not really rough duty....🥃

• Like 3

I'm thinking if there is a particular Scotch you want, bring a bottle with you. With such a wide variety of Scotch they can't stock everything. I have tried several Scotches and never found a taste for it. The same goes for Bourbon...Each to their own. I haven't seen my favourite rum on any menu, oh well I guess I'll have to have something else.

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Admittedly limited.  We are on ships at sea.  We personally are Bourbon drinkers.  I don't expect to find Uncle Nearest on ships.  We "make do" with Jack Daniel's, Maker's Mark, or if in Torshavn Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek.  Not really rough duty....🥃

Anyone who likes Uncle Nearest is OK in my book.

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I am pretty sure the price for the gin will include the tonic. I know when I ordered a Hendricks G&T I am pretty sure it was $8. I KNOW it didn’t cost $11.75!

This.  I order vodka tonics with the house vodka.  I want to say it was $7.50.  I ordered a lemon drop and it was $7.50.  

• Like 1

As to the Knob Creek question, yes, I have had KC in the Viking Bar in the Living Room.  I had mentioned how much I enjoyed it the night before so they got a bottle for their bar.  Usually if you ask, you get.  But then there was the Great Baileys Shortage on the Inaugural WC.  We had to go a couple of weeks in a Bailey free zone until the next liquor container showed up.😱

34 minutes ago, Jazmyn49 said:

Thanks!  We are aware that the crew never or extremely rarely use 'no' so we'll look forward to KC in the Living Room in a mere 29 days.  Bummer about your Bailey's, a tragedy.

I use a modest tip on embarkation day to assure a never-ending supply of my favorite libation. 🥃👍

• Like 1