Air Conditioner Question On Oceania Ships

bob brown

I am aware that on many ships, there is a microswitch on balcony doors that will cause the cabins air-conditioner blower to shut down, whenever the balcony door is open.  I just don't know if the Oceania (R Class) ships are so equipped....does anyone know?   Thanks!

1 minute ago, bob brown said:

I am aware that on many ships, there is a microswitch on balcony doors that will cause the cabins air-conditioner blower to shut down, whenever the balcony door is open.  I just don't know if the Oceania (R Class) ships are so equipped....does anyone know?   Thanks!

No - it’s not ok to sleep with the balcony door open. There’s a decal on the sliding door to remind you. And if you do, the giant Amazonian fly will set you straight.

(And please remember to turn the balcony light off at bedtime). Thanks!

D59CDA10-EFF7-41DB-A6A6-2EE76CC115C5.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No - it’s not ok to sleep with the balcony door open. There’s a decal on the sliding door to remind you. And if you do, the giant Amazonian fly will set you straight.

D59CDA10-EFF7-41DB-A6A6-2EE76CC115C5.jpeg

“Objection, Your Honor: non-responsive.”

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But I was responsive- see the decal: the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work. 

My smartphone shows a lovely photo of a fly, not the decal! 😇

Edited by CintiPam

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Right above the fly “...balcony door closed”

OK, my mother was born in the Bronx, not Brooklyn. Translator clearly required!

Midnight here so goodnight, peace and keep enjoyin’.

Edited by CintiPam

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But I was responsive- see the decal: the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work. 

No you didn’t answer the question, you just answered the question you assumed was being asked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As other's have pointed out, that is not what I asked, and I am aware of, and comply with procedures, thank you.

Now if anyone can answer what I did ask, I would appreciate it....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure if the a/c goes off when the door is opened  but  in the night it does get quite warm in the cabin 

I am not sure if it is because  some have their doors open & cause the cabins nearby  a problem or if the ship cuts down on the A/C 

I have it set to COLD & still wake up  hot  about 3-4 am

Do the Oceania ships have a slot you need to put your cabin card or similar card in to get the AC and lights to work? That drove me crazy on NCL, I would have to put a business card or something similar into the slot when we're out. I'm also charging batteries for my cameras, and probably one of the few guest who charge them in a fireproof battery bag

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Do the Oceania ships have a slot you need to put your cabin card or similar card in to get the AC and lights to work?

not  yet 

Staff are instructed to unplug any gadgets if you are not in the cabin

We charge the camera  at night

4 hours ago, bob brown said:Now if anyone can answer what I did ask, I would appreciate it....

See post #4 where I said the balcony door needs to be closed in order for the HVAC to work.

How exactly do you think the door communicates with the HVAC?

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

not  yet 

Staff are instructed to unplug any gadgets if you are not in the cabin

We charge the camera  at night

This is correct. The cabin steward will unplug chargers left unattended. It’s not just the batteries that are the fire hazard.

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is correct. The cabin steward will unplug chargers left unattended. It’s not just the batteries that are the fire hazard.

They will however leave Cpap machines alone and plugged in.

I am not sure about the mechanisms, but yes the ac turns off if you open the balcony doors. If you want your ac to stay on don’t open the doors. I don’t know, but would imagine, that this only impacts your cabin?

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See post #4 where I said the balcony door needs to be closed in order for the HVAC to work.

How exactly do you think the door communicates with the HVAC?

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Okay, but "the door needs to be closed for the HVAC to work", could also be interpreted as meaning for the HVAC to be effective...

So...just to be clear,  are you saying that the Oceania 'R' Class ships, HVAC shuts off in your cabin if the balcony door is open? 

4 hours ago, khuselid said:

I am not sure about the mechanisms, but yes the ac turns off if you open the balcony doors. If you want your ac to stay on don’t open the doors. I don’t know, but would imagine, that this only impacts your cabin?

Yes...that is how most modern ships work, I just wasn't sure about the Oceania 'R' class ships having that feature.