Revolutionized Equinox

Sascol

We are (hopefully) sailing on the Equinox in late September.  It has been revolutionized.  I know about what this did in the public spaces but what does this mean for the cabins?  Were changes/upgrades made there and if so, what should we expect to see that will be different than before it was revolutionized?  We have an Aqua class cabin if that helps.  Thank you all in advance.  

I was on the per and post revolution Equinox, but I was in a suite post. I think all the cabins got new linens, maybe new drapes? No changes to fixed furnishings like cabinets and closets. Dispensers in the bathrooms instead of small toiletries, I think. The sore point for many people is the balcony furniture and I’m not sure about that, someone else will need to answer.

No change to cabins beyond soft goods that I know of. None to our veranda cabin. New upholstery to our sofa. Balcony furniture smaller and less comfortable than before. Nothing done to the Sky Lounge thankfully. The really only noticable  change is to the Passport Bar area with new carpet and furniture. Again, furniture not as comfortable as before, but cute "pig" end tables. 

Cabins have NEW carpet, NEW mattress with bed skirt, and NEW drapes.  The drapes look like they came from K-Mart.  Big disappointment after the original "classy" ones prior.  Shelves that use to be at the vanity on the wall are gone and you have a bigger TV.  Also 2 new pictures on the walls.  The nicest area for us as far as updates was the Passport Bar on deck 3.

Have cruised the sister ships but not Equinox in this class. We will cruise on Equinox in January 2022.

Whereas we will not be able to compare before and after, I am sure the balcony chairs will be comfortable, the drapes lovely, the bathroom amenities more than adequate and the overall cabin environment comfortable. This category cabin has always suited us.

8 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Thank you - and can anyone speak to how the ship is aging?  This is not a new ship any more.  Have the updates kept it fresh or are there any areas that are looking a little tired/worn?

Rest assured, the ship is beautiful. She is now, will be then and beyond. Just like all the 'S' class ships.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Rest assured, the ship is beautiful. She is now, will be then and beyond. Just like all the 'S' class ships.

Thank you.  For some background, we sailed the Summit bout 8 years ago, shortly after it was 'Solstiscized' and even after that, we found a lot of the areas looking a bit worn and tired.  

47 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Thank you - and can anyone speak to how the ship is aging?  This is not a new ship any more.  Have the updates kept it fresh or are there any areas that are looking a little tired/worn?

We were on her our last cruise before lockdown and found the refurbishment very limited. As others have said in cabin changes were mainly linens. We did find the new balcony furniture looked nice but was far less comfortable than the old (we were in a RS).

However, the general state of the ship was very good...Not rusty, dusty, dreary or drab...A very pleasant place to be. The ‘flow’ of the S class ships is (in my opinion) much better than on the M class so there is a general feeling of spaciousness.

My only word of warning would be if you had booked a suite as the Retreat Deck lacked both a water feature and shade...It did have excellent service and very comfortable sunbeds but certainly did not match the promised offering.

3 hours ago, Sascol said:

We are (hopefully) sailing on the Equinox in late September.  It has been revolutionized.  I know about what this did in the public spaces but what does this mean for the cabins?  Were changes/upgrades made there and if so, what should we expect to see that will be different than before it was revolutionized?  We have an Aqua class cabin if that helps.  Thank you all in advance.  

Hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions in August.  We're scheduled to be on the first 12-night itinerary, let's hope it goes.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Thank you.  For some background, we sailed the Summit bout 8 years ago, shortly after it was 'Solstiscized' and even after that, we found a lot of the areas looking a bit worn and tired.  

If you are expecting no signs of activity on a cruise ship, then perhaps you should wait to book a cabin on the inaugural cruise of a brand new boat. Age and wear are signs of popularity and longevity. Do not discount the beauty and elegance of a mature lady. You'll miss out on what she has to offer.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If you are expecting no signs of activity on a cruise ship, then perhaps you should wait to book a cabin on the inaugural cruise of a brand new boat. Age and wear are signs of popularity and longevity. Do not discount the beauty and elegance of a mature lady. You'll miss out on what she has to offer.  

Not expecting this at all as that would be quite an unrealistic expectation.  Just looking to confirm she's been kept in good shape for a ship of that age.  We have been on some that age and they have looked much older than their years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions in August.  We're scheduled to be on the first 12-night itinerary, let's hope it goes.

Good luck!  We have a 12-nighter schedule for 9/26.  Final payment due in a few days!

1 hour ago, Sascol said:

That one I can give an opinion. The upholstery in Cafe Al Bacio was the only place that I noticed pre-Revolution that looked a bit worn and those are some of the most used (overused?) seats on the ship. Same for the velveteen in the Ensemble lounge, but as Mr. Barwunkel might say, looks just fine in the lower evening lights with a cocktail in hand!

Paint, cleanliness, bright work, decks, pool all looked good. She only showed her age in soft goods as stated and in that the decor to me looks a bit Las Vegas 1990s. I loved the Edge, but it will look 2010s forever - suffers from the same over the top decor that will never be really timeless.

Does it really matter, though?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

That one I can give an opinion. The upholstery in Cafe Al Bacio was the only place that I noticed pre-Revolution that looked a bit worn and those are some of the most used (overused?) seats on the ship. Same for the velveteen in the Ensemble lounge, but as Mr. Barwunkel might say, looks just fine in the lower evening lights with a cocktail in hand!

I totally agree. I sailed on Equinox twice before and once after the Revolution-ization.

Upholstery was freshened up and it was fun checking out "what looks new" but on my earlier cruises I never felt like I was on an old or tired ship. 

• Like 1

Equinox is my favorite!  We did a 10 night right after refurb and I think it is in great shape.   Where I noticed the most wear and tear is the balcony railings.    That's to be expected.   I personally thought it was  great before the refurb.  

Our regular veranda cabin had new carpet, mattress, bedding, drapes, sofa covering, balcony furniture and a very small table.   As someone else mentioned, the TV is new and the shelves are gone.

I am so glad they did not remove the Sky Lounge, it's one of my favorite areas.

They didn't remove the Sky Lounge from Silhoutte at her full refurb, either. I think X got the message that their customers were not happy with the proposed added suits to part of the Sky Lounge area, so dropped the idea altogether. Although, I believe it was the lack of time that caused this not to be done initially on Equinox as above poster noted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Cabins have NEW carpet, NEW mattress with bed skirt, and NEW drapes.  The drapes look like they came from K-Mart.  Big disappointment after the original "classy" ones prior.  Shelves that use to be at the vanity on the wall are gone and you have a bigger TV.  Also 2 new pictures on the walls.  The nicest area for us as far as updates was the Passport Bar on deck 3.

Last February after the revolution there were many, if not most, cabins that did not get new carpeting.  Out veranda cabin didn’t have new carpeting 

4 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

... Shelves that use to be at the vanity on the wall are gone ...

2 hours ago, micheleata said:

... As someone else mentioned, the TV is new and the shelves are gone. ...

Thank you, "CulverCityCruisers" and "micheleata," but may we ask for a clarification?  We are not sure which "shelves" you are referring to.  Are you speaking of the shelves in the little cabinet (with glass doors) in the bathroom -- or some other shelves?  If it is the latter, where were those shelves (specifically)?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, jg51 said:

Thank you, "CulverCityCruisers" and "micheleata," but may we ask for a clarification?  We are not sure which "shelves" you are referring to.  Are you speaking of the shelves in the little cabinet (with glass doors) in the bathroom -- or some other shelves?  If it is the latter, where were those shelves (specifically)?  Thanks.

The small shelves at the vanity  in the room(not the bathroom) next to the mirror.  They were never very useful anyway

10 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

The small shelves at the vanity  in the room(not the bathroom) next to the mirror.  They were never very useful anyway

I think CulverCity was talking shelves next to the television.  I think there were small shelves next to the older smaller television.  Those shelves were removed to make room for a larger television on the Revolutionized Silhouette.

• Like 1