Covid on Adventure

3 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

After awhile those private charters will add up. Maybe at some point, the cruise lines will tell infected guests to make their own arrangements.

It will end Oct. 31 so people who sail after that date would do well to start thinking about a plan now. I have no reason to believe that these incidents will disappear entirely by then. Without cruise line assistance, people are likely to have to quarantine until a negative test allows them to fly commercially. I, too, would like to know how they were able to return on a charter while still positive for Covid.

38 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Private flight or otherwise you need a negative test to fly back to the US. My husband flies for a private charter company and he has to verify negative tests to bring any passenger back to the US.  

This could be part of the CDC and cruise lines agreements and protocols for heath and port agreements, which would differ from other modes of transportation. I don't think M. Bayley would lie on social media. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

This could be part of the CDC and cruise lines agreements and protocols for heath and port agreements, which would differ from other modes of transportation. I don't think M. Bayley would lie on social media. 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it is a lie. It is just a question because it seems to be contrary to what is known. It may very well be part of the port agreement, but most people don’t know about it, if indeed that is the case.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

All passengers disembarking are tested on Day 6 or Day 7 (depending on when they can get an appointment). That is the only test. 

If it was like last week, many of the unvaccinated passengers did not properly follow mask protocols. 

Contact tracing on the Adventure of the Seas uses a facial recognition system to track people that have been close to the subjects.

Almost all passengers were tested on Day 6 or 7. Close contacts were probably retested. Along with crew (e.g., dining room, buffet, teen club staff, etc) would have to be tested also. And if Royal was doing a good job, they would PCR test close contact crew and isolate them until the results came back. 

So chances are good, more will show up with a postive test tomorrow....I can't think that facial recognition works 100% to clear all the contacts those 2 children came in contact with. Time will tell......

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Protocols worked again.  This is a non-issue.

3 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I am glad that the protocols are working.

Last week, the protocols for unvaccinated passengers were not followed. Unvaccinated passengers were openly disregarding masking requirements despite repeated public reminders. The crew were not ready to enforce those rules. Since the kids congregate together, the symptomatic kid could have passed the virus along to his friends who could become covid-positive by the time they are flying back home. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Babr said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. It is just a question because it seems to be contrary to what is known.

I tried looing back through the CDC guidelines, but can not find the updated part about what to do if a passenger tests positive. I remember seeing this in the media , I think in May. 

The CDC framework requires that cruise lines also have agreements in place with ports and health authorities. These agreements should outline disembarking sick passengers, including having transportation arranged to get them home or to medical care using non-commercial transportation. Passengers who drove to the port can be allowed take their own cars home.

The goal is to get people to medical help or back home while coming in contact with as few other people as possible. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

They tested negative to get on the ship and then positive to get off the ship. So somewhere they contracted Covid. My guess was at one of the ports. But meh... no biggee as the vaxed folks were are protected. 

5 days on average is the incubation period. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

They tested negative to get on the ship and then positive to get off the ship. So somewhere they contracted Covid. My guess was at one of the ports. But meh... no biggee as the vaxed folks were are protected. 

The most likely case is they were infected already when they took the pre-cruise tests, just not enough to test positive.  They were in Cozumel on Tuesday, and that'd be way too fast to show symptoms. Only other place they were was Coco Cay by themselves.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I tried looing back through the CDC guidelines, but can not find the updated part about what to do if a passenger tests positive. I remember seeing this in the media , I think in May. 

The CDC framework requires that cruise lines also have agreements in place with ports and health authorities. These agreements should outline disembarking sick passengers, including having transportation arranged to get them home or to medical care using non-commercial transportation. Passengers who drove to the port can be allowed take their own cars home.

The goal is to get people to medical help or back home while coming in contact with as few other people as possible. 

Thanks for finding that. It still contrasts with provisions in the Royal passage contract. I suppose those terms come into effect when the cruise line assistance plan expires in October.

The passage contract says that positive passengers can be disembarked with a pro-rated refund but no financial assistance going forward. To me that means the passenger is responsible for quarantine and travel expenses.

Maybe this will force people to be more careful about actually reading the contract and their insurance policies - and taking their passports on closed-loop itineraries.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So chances are good, more will show up with a postive test tomorrow....I can't think that facial recognition works 100% to clear all the contacts those 2 children came in contact with. Time will tell......

Well that's what our vaccines are for! 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

After awhile those private charters will add up. Maybe at some point, the cruise lines will tell infected guests to make their own arrangements.

RC and Celebrity's guarantee for sailings through October 31 is to "cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party" if you test positive onboard.

So technically they're not required to fly you home on a chartered private flight. I imagine they're doing that at first for the good publicity of how they're handling positive cases, but eventually that will get too expensive and they'll go with the cheaper route of land quarantine until you test negative then scheduled airline flights home.

But under the current guarantee if someone tests positive they can't just kick them off the ship and tell them to pound sand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks for finding that. It still contrasts with provisions in the Royal passage contract. I suppose those terms come into effect when the cruise line assistance plan expires in October.

The passage contract says that positive passengers can be disembarked with a pro-rated refund but no financial assistance going forward. To me that means the passenger is responsible for quarantine and travel expenses.

Maybe this will force people to be more careful about actually reading the contract and their insurance policies - and taking their passports on closed-loop itineraries.

The Adventure cruises out of Nassau are different because every passenger has to have and pay for the Bahamas Travel Visa ($40 and up, depending on length of stay). The Visa fee covers the mandatory health insurance, which may be part of Royal's health agreement with the port of Nassau. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well, it could be a “biggee” if they unwittingly exposed someone in port or one of their contacts on the ship who in turn carried it home, as they are doing. At least they know they are positive now and can take the necessary steps.

The part that I’m happiest about is that the media hasn’t really given this case, or the case in the Millennium, a lot of air time. I guess it’s because there’s no drama, mass quarantining, ships stranded at sea, deaths, etc, so it’s not “news worthy”. 

In my humble opinion, it’s a good thing that these cases are occurring, because they prove that the protocols do work, and hopefully that will make the media loose interest. Seeing how it’s all being handled may also ease the fears that some passengers adamant about booking their next cruise may be having. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The most likely case is they were infected already when they took the pre-cruise tests, just not enough to test positive.  They were in Cozumel on Tuesday, and that'd be way too fast to show symptoms. Only other place they were was Coco Cay by themselves.

They were also in an airport, on a plane, and in Nassau to board the ship.  Many places (within the incubation period) where they could have been exposed between the pre-cruise and post-cruise tests.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The part that I’m happiest about is that the media hasn’t really given this case, or the case in the Millennium, a lot of air time. I guess it’s because there’s no drama, mass quarantining, ships stranded at sea, deaths, etc, so it’s not “news worthy”. 

In my humble opinion, it’s a good thing that these cases are occurring, because they prove that the protocols do work, and that may ease some of the fears that passengers adamant about booking their next cruise may be happen. 

Agreed. and people are tired of covid, covid issues, covid quarantines, covid, covid, covid. Bottomline is it's old news and the media has now moved on to hyping the opening up, the states w/ low vaccines and the variants in an effort to hit 70%. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I did not say he lied. I said a negative test was required to reenter the US even on a private charter flight.  It is.  Apparently positive COVID cases can be transported back into the US on private “medical” flights under specific circumstances and conditions designated by the CDC. Smokeybandit linked the provisions above.  Is RCI going to go through this bureaucratic process and (significant) expense for each positive case on future cruises?  I think this will wear thin after a while and folks will be left quarantining until they test positive.  JMO.  

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I did not say he lied. I said a negative test was required to reenter the US even on a private charter flight.  It is.  Apparently positive COVID cases can be transported back into the US on private “medical” flights under specific circumstances and conditions designated by the CDC. Smokeybandit linked the provisions above.  Is RCI going to go through this bureaucratic process and (significant) expense for each positive case on future cruises?  I think this will wear thin after a while and folks will be left quarantining until they test positive.  JMO.  

Royal’s covid assistance plan ends Oct. 31. At that time, people have to rely on their on resources if they find themselves in this situation. I think Royal is going above and beyond for now to give people every assurance in order to get them to feel comfortable about sailing.

The pampering will end. That is the time people will have to have intimate knowledge of the passage contract and their insurance.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Since we never heard from the two flown off the Millie, do you thing RCG is making the positive cases sign an NDA in exchange for private charter home?

I read that those people were Dutch. Perhaps there was news that never got back to us. I don’t think non-disclosure would be necessary. They’d probably like for passengers to say how well they were treated.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Unfortunately, the building collapse in Florida has the attention of the press more than these two positive Covid results.  

38 minutes ago, Tapi said:

In my humble opinion, it’s a good thing that these cases are occurring,  because they prove that the protocols do work, and hopefully that will make the media loose interest. Seeing how it’s all being handled may also ease the fears that some passengers adamant about booking their next cruise may be having. 

Agreed. I also feel/think these are the true test cruises compared to the ones from FL right now. Hopefully the kids didn’t pass it along to many others along the way.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Last week, the protocols for unvaccinated passengers were not followed. Unvaccinated passengers were openly disregarding masking requirements despite repeated public reminders. The crew were not ready to enforce those rules. Since the kids congregate together, the symptomatic kid could have passed the virus along to his friends who could become covid-positive by the time they are flying back home. 

That’s disappointing that protocols for unvaccinated passengers were not being followed. You would think at the beginning they would have been on top of it. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

That’s disappointing that protocols for unvaccinated passengers were not being followed. You would think at the beginning they would have been on top of it. 

You would think. My guess is they will be now.  And certainly out of US ports. 

• Like 2