Questions For AmaWaterways cruise

AF-1

We are looking to book a cruise with Ama on AMA Certo for July 2023. Have some questions and hopefully we can get answers

1. What is the main difference between BB and BA Cabin?  Both are same square footage and both have French and outside balconies

2. What difference between cello and violin decks?  Does one have a better view between decks?

3.  How is the weather on the Rhine and Moselle rivers in July? 

I may have a few more questions but for now that is all.  Thank you for your help.  Cheers

Looking at the staterooms on the website, I'd say the difference between BB & BA are the deck levels. Cello deck is just over water level (probably 3-4 feet), the Violin deck is overtop of that.  Views would be about the same, it's how close you wish to be to the water.

I've only sailed on Avalon, but we loved being closer to the water, as we enjoyed watching the swans swimming alongside the boat, and cleaning it off!  We didn't hear any noise from the floor above (soundproofing was really good with Avalon, didn't even hear the people next to us) so I would imagine that AMA is the same.

Can't comment on the weather, but if you check out AccuWeather for the time you are looking to go, you will get a good idea, and they also have historical data online as well.  Of course, with weather, you never know what it's going to be like until you open the door. 

Really hope you finally manage to go this time, wish you the best and hope you enjoy it.

20 hours ago, AF-1 said:

We are looking to book a cruise with Ama on AMA Certo for July 2023. Have some questions and hopefully we can get answers

1. What is the main difference between BB and BA Cabin?  Both are same square footage and both have French and outside balconies

2. What difference between cello and violin decks?  Does one have a better view between decks?

3.  How is the weather on the Rhine and Moselle rivers in July? 

July of 2023 will give you plenty of time to do your homework and get the answers you need. 

The cabins would be the same but as Daisi noted the AA would be on the Violin deck and BBs on the Cello. Personally, I'd prefer to save a few $$'s and stay on the Cello deck. The views to the shoreline aren't very much different. 

The weather can be warm but the views along the Rhine and Moselle are fantastic. You've picked my two favorite rivers. Have fun and ENJOY!!!

Paul

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I consider AB the sweet spot on AMA ships [larger layout, convenient and quiet middle deck].  Between the two categories you're considering I would choose BB, preferably 203-206.

Yes, those would be my choice too; middle deck and close to all the reception area, lounge and restaurant. 

39 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I consider AB the sweet spot on AMA ships [larger layout, convenient and quiet middle deck].  Between the two categories you're considering I would choose BB, preferably 203-206.

Thank you very much for this info.  One other question.  Which month do you prefer to sail and when is the weather cold or rainy?  We plan to book next week to take advantage of a 5% discount from AMA; discount runs out end of June.  

Edited by AF-1

54 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

July of 2023 will give you plenty of time to do your homework and get the answers you need. 

The cabins would be the same but as Daisi noted the AA would be on the Violin deck and BBs on the Cello. Personally, I'd prefer to save a few $$'s and stay on the Cello deck. The views to the shoreline aren't very much different. 

The weather can be warm but the views along the Rhine and Moselle are fantastic. You've picked my two favorite rivers. Have fun and ENJOY!!!

Paul

Paul thanks for this advice.  We plan to book next week so we can take advantage of a 5% discount from AMA

We did AMA from Amsterdam to Basel in early September.  We had one shower in Amsterdam during the canal boat ride (which was covered) and no other rain.  But it was so hot in Strasbourg that we thought we were going to melt into the fiberglass of the canal boat (which was totally exposed to the sun).  We generally prefer to travel in May and September, because the weather is generally good and not too hot and the crowds are smaller.  I'll let others here (especially notamermaid) give you detailed info about weather and water levels.

BTW I see that AMA has three or four itineraries that would fit your definition of 'Rhine and Moselle.'  My favorite among them would be the Rhine and Moselle Splendors wine cruise from Trier to Basel on July 11 because it packs a tremendous amount into 7 nights.  You miss Amsterdam [which you can pick up on a Tulip Time cruise another year!] and Cologne – but you skip a long stretch of not very scenic cruising on the Rhine from Amsterdam to the Moselle.  I would start in Paris (DIY but get the AMA transfer to Trier) and go from Basel to Lucerne and Zurich (the AMA extension is worth it for all the sightseeing and hand-holding or you can DIY with great Swiss train service). 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We generally prefer to travel in May and September, because the weather is generally good and not too hot and the crowds are smaller.  I'll let others here (especially notamermaid) give you detailed info about weather and water levels.

BTW I see that AMA has three or four itineraries that would fit your definition of 'Rhine and Moselle.'  My favorite among them would be the Rhine and Moselle Splendors wine cruise 

We have been on the Rhine in mid-July, late July and early August and enjoyed good weather each time. Keep in mind we're from TX so our idea of good weather may differ from yours. 😉

I think Hot Jazzbeau's suggestion to select the Rhine and Moselle Splendors is excellent. I love Amsterdam but missing the lower Rhine to spend more time on the Moselle and middle/upper Rhine is worth the tradeoff. We enjoyed two similar itineraries and loved them both. 

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We did AMA from Amsterdam to Basel in early September.  We had one shower in Amsterdam during the canal boat ride (which was covered) and no other rain.  But it was so hot in Strasbourg that we thought we were going to melt into the fiberglass of the canal boat (which was totally exposed to the sun).  We generally prefer to travel in May and September, because the weather is generally good and not too hot and the crowds are smaller.  I'll let others here (especially notamermaid) give you detailed info about weather and water levels.

BTW I see that AMA has three or four itineraries that would fit your definition of 'Rhine and Moselle.'  My favorite among them would be the Rhine and Moselle Splendors wine cruise from Trier to Basel on July 11 because it packs a tremendous amount into 7 nights.  You miss Amsterdam [which you can pick up on a Tulip Time cruise another year!] and Cologne – but you skip a long stretch of not very scenic cruising on the Rhine from Amsterdam to the Moselle.  I would start in Paris (DIY but get the AMA transfer to Trier) and go from Basel to Lucerne and Zurich (the AMA extension is worth it for all the sightseeing and hand-holding or you can DIY with great Swiss train service). 

Thank you for this great advice.  We were looking at the 10 night Rhine & Moselle Delights.  What do you think about that.  Do you think the extra three nights on the river verses 7 nights is worth it?  

49 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you for this great advice.  We were looking at the 10 night Rhine & Moselle Delights.  What do you think about that.  Do you think the extra three nights on the river verses 7 nights is worth it?  

I think that's a great idea if you have the time. If possible you may also want to spend a few extra days in Amsterdam. There are so many things to see and do. It's a great city!

The Rhine & Moselle Splendor is a very nice itinerary I find. I would rate this more attractive than a 7-day Amsterdam to Basel river cruise, if you have the time add on days. Question is: how to get to Luxembourg. Fly straight into Luxembourg city? Take the train from Paris? Take the train from Cologne? Take the train from Amsterdam even? All three are possible and have their merits. Both Paris and Amsterdam are big international airports, Cologne is a minor international one but still connects well in Europe, and all are great cities to explore. Difficult choice unless you go with what AmaWaterways has as the standard offer. Personally I would fly into Amsterdam, spend two days there, take the train to Cologne as a stopover of a few hours for city and cathedral if that fits into the timeframe, then go to Trier/Remich/Luxembourg for embarkation.

@AF-1 I see from the Rhine thread that you seem to have made up your mind about which river cruise to take, but perhaps my comments are of help to you or others.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

@AF-1, that cruise looks really good, especially if you fly into Zurrich, maybe a day there to see a bit if you can, then train to Basel to board the ship.  Amsterdam is a great place to end the cruise as you could possibly spend a couple of days there just wandering around or seeing sights within an easy train trip.  We really enjoyed our time in Amsterdam, took a train up to Enkhuizen to see the Zuiderzee museum.  

One thing I will mention... skip the excursion for the coffee in Rüdesheim and go to the Museum.  Coffee is similar to a Spanish / Irish Coffee, the museum is one of a kind!

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you still have time to spend several days in Switzerland at the end, this is a very nice itinerary.  It's easy to fly into Amsterdam, and you are right there [as opposed to getting to Trier].

But if you are time-limited, I would spend those 3 extra days in Lucerne and Zurich at the end of the trip.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our travel agent just booked us on the 10 night Rhine & Moselle Delights cruise.  July 8, 2023.  He booked us in AB 207 cabin.  Thanks for your help

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Our travel agent just booked us on the 10 night Rhine & Moselle Delights cruise.  July 8, 2023.  He booked us in AB 207 cabin.  Thanks for your help

Good choice.

• Like 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Questions For AmaWaterways cruise