Regatta cabins

ak1004

Hello all,

We are considering taking a cruise on the Regatta.

Usually we take the inside or OV cabin simply because we spend very little time in the cabin. However, we took a cruise on Azamara ship 2 years ago in the inside cabin and it was really tiny, especially the bathroom. My understanding is that Azamara ships are the same R class as the Regatta.

I'm looking at the Regatta and it shows inside and OV cabins are 160-165 sqft and veranda cabins 216 sqft. However, I assume that 216 sqft includes the balcony, so the cabin itself is around 175 sqft, which is not much larger than the inside/OV. Are the bathrooms in veranda cabins tiny too, similar to inside cabins? How veranda cabins feel compared to the inside? Is it worth to upgrade to PH?

Thank you everyone for your input!

Veranda cabins seem larger because of the view.  Bathrooms are the same.  PH solves all the problems:  cabin is 25% wider, so lots of room to manuever around the bed, and the bathroom is much bigger.  However there can be noise issues from the deck above.

• Thanks 1

I have not done an inside on O  but the veranda & OV are the same size basically  including the W/C

The extra sf  for 165-215 is the balcony

If  you find the cabin size too small then upgrade for sure

The OV  (deck 4)  or  A , B  cabin are not a problem for us 

YMMV

• Thanks 1

I remember the main issue for me was the bathroom, specifically the shower.. But if veranda has the same washrooms, then I'm not sure it's even worth it to upgrade..

Regrading PH - all of them have noise issues? I see some are below the spa, or I'm wrong?

47 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I remember the main issue for me was the bathroom, specifically the shower.. But if veranda has the same washrooms, then I'm not sure it's even worth it to upgrade..

Regrading PH - all of them have noise issues? I see some are below the spa, or I'm wrong?

The PH  will have a larger  W/C

Some complain about the chairs being dragged around  under the pool area

I believe the forward port side  PH are under the computer/card room

location is everything 😉

59 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We have stayed in PH on all 4 smaller ships and have not had any real issues with noise - we like to be back by rear stairway and so are under front of Terrace and covered area of pool.  Chairs around pool are generally put away by late afternoon and so little movement in evening and night.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Hello all,

We are considering taking a cruise on the Regatta.

Usually we take the inside or OV cabin simply because we spend very little time in the cabin. However, we took a cruise on Azamara ship 2 years ago in the inside cabin and it was really tiny, especially the bathroom. My understanding is that Azamara ships are the same R class as the Regatta.

I'm looking at the Regatta and it shows inside and OV cabins are 160-165 sqft and veranda cabins 216 sqft. However, I assume that 216 sqft includes the balcony, so the cabin itself is around 175 sqft, which is not much larger than the inside/OV. Are the bathrooms in veranda cabins tiny too, similar to inside cabins? How veranda cabins feel compared to the inside? Is it worth to upgrade to PH?

Thank you everyone for your input!

We had a lovely sail on Regatta during a trans Pacific in 2019.  We were in a veranda on Deck 7.  We saw while visiting new friends in their PH, the differences in the bathroom.  We booked a PH on Sirena as a result.

A thorough search on this forum will reveal the treasure of the 8000/8002 PH3’s on the R class. Above the card room - past the lifts, apparently quiet, if you are brave enough to sail that far forward.

I am and the gods of covid willing I will be in March next year on Sirena. 

I'm a real newbie to this and am getting twitchy about luggage space. We have a week split between Vancouver and Seattle before picking up the Regatta, for the 7 Alaska cruise in June '22, and have the Conceirge veranda cabin.

For a fortnight away we'd have 4 cases, making reasonable use of BA's business class allowance. Do I need to radically rethink things? It's our first cruise (delayed from 06/20) and I really don't want to make any rookie mistakes if I can avoid them. A quick google gave me a couple of utube videos and the cabins looked tiny (compared to what we usually have on terra firma).

Advice from you seasoned experts will be gratefully received. 

4 minutes ago, DJP31 said:

I'm a real newbie to this and am getting twitchy about luggage space. We have a week split between Vancouver and Seattle before picking up the Regatta, for the 7 Alaska cruise in June '22, and have the Conceirge veranda cabin.

For a fortnight away we'd have 4 cases, making reasonable use of BA's business class allowance. Do I need to radically rethink things? It's our first cruise (delayed from 06/20) and I really don't want to make any rookie mistakes if I can avoid them. A quick google gave me a couple of utube videos and the cabins looked tiny (compared to what we usually have on terra firma).

Advice from you seasoned experts will be gratefully received. 

We stow our suitcases under our bed - and they are the large ones

• Like 2

Let me share a few thoughts. We had numerous people on the Princess Covid disaster sailings from our community and if I ever had to spend two weeks quarantined in an inside stateroom, I would have to be sedated or a lot of chill pills.  We have always had a veranda stateroom, “Happy wife happy life”, and would not give one up. We did have a friend give up his A veranda on a 30 day Dubai to Capetown cruise but received $12,000 from Oceania to do so.  An overbooked situation that O rectified.

We have probably sailed 55% A or B level and 45% PH or better and working with your TA will preclude a potentially noisy room. We have NEVER had a noisy room since we normally book back of mid ship or even back of the rear elevator.  Even when we have had rooms near the elevators and stairs, it is only when shows get out or at breakfast times that there may be louder foot traffic. The potentially noisiest rooms on any deck will be between the fore and aft elevators, just based on the time of day and foot traffic flows, ie. drinks or dining traffic. If you are concerned about noise from above, Deck 10 PH’s on O ships are always quiet because there are staterooms above, as are those between 6 and 9 for veranda rooms. R class ships are similar for corresponding decks, just look at the deck maps and you will not have issues. Again, TA’s that understand the O ships will help make correct location decisions.
On O you will not have the loud screaming kids nor the falling down drunk guests, you normally have responsible, mature guests who are being courteous of others. This is not to say guests can’t be a little loud after some adult beverages but this is our experience only. What was the old tag line, “There are 8,000,000 stories in the naked city and this is one”, or something similar. 
Ciao,

Bonnie and Gerry 

4 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

On O you will not have the loud screaming kids nor the falling down drunk guests, you normally have responsible, mature guests who are being courteous of others.

You would think

There are exceptions 😉

Last cruise  one guy was drunk every night  they had to get a wheelchair  to get him to his cabin  from the bar

39 minutes ago, DJP31 said:

Cases will fit under your bed

Not sure what you are packing but might  be good idea to reassess  your packing

We have done 30+ days with a 26" case each with temps from 30C to below 0C

JMO

Depending on suitcase size, you may have to slightly lift the bed /frame a bit for the case to clear  the frame but 4 suitcases fit easily when pushing under the bed. My wife will usually push them under from each side of the bed while I lift the bed an inch or two. If you are unable to lift the bed, just ask your room steward or Butler, because they will do it for you. Depending on your room, if a PH it is about 50% larger and the walk in closet can afford you some extra space as well if you need it.  On some cruises when we have needed more space for single use clothing, like Alaska when viewing the glaciers from the upper decks, we have stored heavy coats or boots back in the suitcases rather than taking up the minimal closet space.  
Just a thought.

Gerry

We generally take longer cruises and pack 4 cases, two checked size and 2 carry ons, +2 personal items. It's amazing how much stuff you can take when you pack well. We put the smaller ones inside the larger ones and then stuff it all under the bed. One thing I've learned over a few years of traveling is that good luggage is worth it's weight in gold. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Agree with this - mix & match 😀

• Like 1

Never pack less than you think you may need.  Worst case, unpack the most likely items into the closet and drawers; put two closed suitcases under the head of the bed; put the other two suitcases open under the foot of the bed and pull them out as extra drawers if you need that stuff.

O tempora! O mores!  Where are the days of steamer trunks and maids/valets???  😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Cases will fit under your bed

JMO

That’s impressive and we will definitely have to be more clinical than we normally are. It’ll be helpful to have the laundry service as that’ll enable us to recycle stuff we’ve worn earlier in the trip. 

Really helpful comments from others too, I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in a hotel where under the bed is an option, so it never crossed my mind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJP31 said:

That’s impressive and we will definitely have to be more clinical than we normally are. It’ll be helpful to have the laundry service as that’ll enable us to recycle stuff we’ve worn earlier in the trip. 

There is one laundry room on the R ships  & free to use  as well

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

There is one laundry room on the R ships  & free to use  as well

Because we are often in port for several days before the cruise, the laundry room is my friend. We are usually in our cabin between 1 and 2  in the afternoon and the laundry room is my first stop. As some else mentioned, mix and match when it comes to wardrobe. DH and I have done 32+ day cruises with one large case and roll aboard each.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Self service laundry may not be available for a while - certainly isn’t on P&O at the moment. 

That said PH’s get a few free bags of laundry.

Yes  I guess it depends when Regatta starts sailing again what the circumstances will be at that time

Concierge " A"  cabins  on Oceania also get the 3 free bags of laundry

• Thanks 1