Carnival Details Their E-Muster

sunonfire

On 6/26/2021 at 3:44 AM, ontheweb said:

They possibly can know it was shown on your tv, but how can they possibly know that you actually watched it?

Perhaps calling an Extension whereby the Automated System asks you to enter in your Sea Pass Folio# and be asked a few questions about the video like a quiz! Those who check in get a Free Drink as incentive! For those who do not checkin this way then they will be required to go to their Muster Station before their Onboard Account  or Drink Packages gets activated.

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t buy this argument. do you literally not bring your phone with you? Not sure how you get to port but even if it was ‘off’ the whole cruise, I would still have it on on the way for directions/traffic updates/airplane tickets/etc. The e-muster happens before the ship leaves port. You can leave your phones on for an extra hour to do that without sacrificing your no phone rules.

As far as no smart phone people. I’ve never met someone who tried a smart phone and didn’t like it. I’ve only met people who haven’t tried it.

I drive to the port, I know exactly where it is, and I can use other sources for traffic.  So if I didn't want to bring my phone, I could easily make it happen.

As for never meeting someone who didn't like a smart phone after using one: you've never met my Mom. She was terrified and overwhelmed by them. She is starting to warm up to the idea, but balks at the cost, both for the phone and the monthly phone/data charges.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t buy this argument. do you literally not bring your phone with you?

And that's great for you.....but believe it or not, we have a whole generation (me included) who have managed to survive 65 + years without it.  

It's a choice......doesn't make us stupid cause we don't use it.  Maybe your life is easier with it, but I get by just fine without it and that's my choice.

• Like 6

On 6/26/2021 at 8:20 AM, ontheweb said:

How well does the Carnival hub app work? If you read the Princess boards, you will find many, many posts that the Princess Medallion app is terrible, does not work well, or often at all.

I’ve used both and found princess’s to be great.  We were on inaugural sky princess sailing at it was awesome.  The carnival hub app has gotten a LOT better.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love being Mimi said:

I have my phone.  But when I get on the ship, my phone goes in the safe. 

Ok. But would doing an emuster on your phone before you put it in the safe actually be a big deal? There is a window of probably at least an hour between when you get on the ship and get to your room to put your phone in your safe anyway…

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I drive to the port, I know exactly where it is, and I can use other sources for traffic.  So if I didn't want to bring my phone, I could easily make it happen.

As for never meeting someone who didn't like a smart phone after using one: you've never met my Mom. She was terrified and overwhelmed by them. She is starting to warm up to the idea, but balks at the cost, both for the phone and the monthly phone/data charges.

ok. So going to that port you feel comfortable. What about going to a different port. What about flying across the world and going to a place you’ve never been. I’ve done it both ways; using a map map vs a cell phone map. We still laugh about a time we visited Rome and were trying to navigate using a paper map. For some reason we would enter one street and end up in a completely different place than we expected. Compared to navigating in in Tokyo using smart phone maps. Like going from the Stone Age to the Industrial Age. 

as far as your mom. It sounds like she didn’t ‘not like’ it. Sounds like she had a longer adjustment time to a new technology and didn’t think it was worth pursuing. 

34 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

And that's great for you.....but believe it or not, we have a whole generation (me included) who have managed to survive 65 + years without it.  

It's a choice......doesn't make us stupid cause we don't use it.  Maybe your life is easier with it, but I get by just fine without it and that's my choice.

and there are tons of 65+ people that have embraced new technology. Not saying you are stupid. My mom refuses to a smart phone. She also complains when she returns from a trip w husband about the fights they got in getting lost and having trouble navigating off printed Google maps. SMH. 

I think that whether you retired pre-smart phones probably makes a big difference and why future generations will all be proficient. My dad and stepmom both retired post smart phones and embrace them. My mom didn’t work during smart phone era and stubbornly believes she is just fine without one. I still work and couldn’t possibly do my job without one. I use texting, directions, and web browsing on it all the time. I often put it in airplane mode on trips when i don’t need maps. But use it as my primary camera on a trip. If you carry a pocket digital camera traveling, a smart phone is around the same size, has a better quality camera, and came get you out of a jam in an emergency.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is amazing news. This is almost exactly the process I have been asking for years lol. The old process was absolutely awful. Annoyance aside, little to no one had any clue what was actually going on. Too much noise. The most important thing is just knowing where to go. Having actual legible directions on your TV and/or smartphone will allow at least some people to know what is being said.

Yes, but when the first arguments on the cc boards started about the proposed virtual muster drill all the experienced mariners who post argued that the drill was really for the crew. It was the only time the crew actually had the experience of "herding" the passengers. How is the virtual drill for passengers going to give them this experience? And what effect will that have if there is a real emergency? I hope we never find out!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beave8920 said:

Leave it to the Beave to get this perfect.😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, but when the first arguments on the cc boards started about the proposed virtual muster drill all the experienced mariners who post argued that the drill was really for the crew. It was the only time the crew actually had the experience of "herding" the passengers. How is the virtual drill for passengers going to give them this experience? And what effect will that have if there is a real emergency? I hope we never find out!

Training and drills don’t necessarily mean emergencies will go well or as planned. Remember the Concordia? Chaos, confusion, no communication… and let’s not forget the timeline for when the captain disembarked. 

8 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Training and drills don’t necessarily mean emergencies will go well or as planned. Remember the Concordia? Chaos, confusion, no communication… and let’s not forget the timeline for when the captain disembarked. 

Many of the passengers on the Costa Concordia had not yet had a muster drill. The regulations for having them for everyone tightened up after that disaster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

At the time I heard that…. And what I still

think… is how far a muster drill

with bored passengers from an actual emergency with scared passengers. I still see no reason they can’t take 15 minutes between cruises to run a fake muster where half the crew herds and half the crew pretends to be scared passengers. I think that would make for a much more realistic ‘herding’

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

At the time I heard that…. And what I still

think… is how far a muster drill

with bored passengers from an actual emergency with scared passengers. I still see no reason they can’t take 15 minutes between cruises to run a fake muster where half the crew herds and half the crew pretends to be scared passengers. I think that would make for a much more realistic ‘herding’

Half the crew is not nearly the number equivalent to passengers.

And where are you getting this 15 minutes. They are already very, very, busy between cruises getting the ship ready for the next set of passengers to embark. And now with even stricter cleaning protocols, there will be even more of a priority to get everything done that needs to be done.

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Half the crew is not nearly the number equivalent to passengers.

And where are you getting this 15 minutes. They are already very, very, busy between cruises getting the ship ready for the next set of passengers to embark. And now with even stricter cleaning protocols, there will be even more of a priority to get everything done that needs to be done.

you can control whatever ratio you want based on the people available. If you need 3 to 1, then only open a certain number of muster stations. And even if fewer, they could be much better quality. My job deals with emergency situations. We exclusively use co-workers for scenarios and training situations. Because co-workers role playing can provide much better training.

why? Because they know how to behave right. And by that I mean behaving wrong…. People don’t behave right in emergency situations.

and then you can have actual training. Like this week we are doing ship on fire. This week we are doing collision. You can’t fake that stuff w passengers onboard. 

Edited by sanger727

7 hours ago, Beave8920 said:

Ya know.....I'll bet Mr. Sanger doesn't even know who "The Beaver" is !!!!!!!!

He could find out if MeTV is on his cable station. The show is on every morning right before Perry Mason.

5 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

How can they know if you paid attention in the old mister?

If the drill is really for the crew as our experienced mariners in these groups have said, it does not matter. They have said what the passengers need to do is show up and shut up.

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

This was always a poor argument. Are we saying the people in charge of an emergency scenario only get their training by practicing with customers? I don't think I need to go too far into why that is silly. 

• Like 1

RCL is using a similar system for muster drills.  And as others have mentioned, the CCL HUB app is great for looking at menus, seeing what's going on around the ship, deck plans, open/close times for venues/restaurants, weather, etc.  Almost everything that is listed in the activities sheet that's placed in your cabin is included in the app.  IMO those activities sheets may eventually end - another way for the lines to save $$$ and one less thing for the cabin stewards to deal with.  Believe me - I miss the days of turning off my phone COMPLETELY, placing it in my cabin safe, and not seeing it again until disembarkation day, but I think those days are gone since the lines will be doing more that force us to use them.  I don't even bring a separate camera anymore since my phone takes far better photos than my little point-n-shoot that I was using.  Just my $0.02.  But bottom line: whatever it takes to get us cruising again - count me IN!  🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

This was always a poor argument. Are we saying the people in charge of an emergency scenario only get their training by practicing with customers? I don't think I need to go too far into why that is silly. 

What our experienced mariners have said over and over is that it is their ONLY chance to practice with real passengers.