What makes ''the beach'' so great too you I know what is is for me.

dolittle

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Never disregard the smell of the ocean.

When I was young ,after a long and in those days hot ride you would get near the bridge and that smell would hit you and you knew you were there. A cheer and a big long sniff of that oh. so great fresh air and that relief that we made it.

7 hours ago, dolittle said:

When I was young ,after a long and in those days hot ride you would get near the bridge and that smell would hit you and you knew you were there. A cheer and a big long sniff of that oh. so great fresh air and that relief that we made it.

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Never disregard the smell of the ocean.

I agree!  There is something special that this landlubber loves when I inhale sea air,  

On 6/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, getting older slowly said:

Do enjoy a beach in winter to walk along

like the one below... runs for about 4.5 km   and a lot of the time you can walk up and back and see nobody .....

That is one of the things I generally like about Australia.  Not too many people in a huge space.  Even fairly close to the cities, the population falls off relatively quickly based on my memory.  Of course that is simply my perception based on living in Southern CA and others may view the big urban areas of Australia as completely overrun.

BTW - I would be hard pressed to find a 2.75 mile run on an empty beach close to where I live anytime of year!  Maybe at 1 or 2 in the morning.  

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

That is one of the things I generally like about Australia.  Not too many people in a huge space.  Even fairly close to the cities, the population falls off relatively quickly based on my memory.  Of course that is simply my perception based on living in Southern CA and others may view the big urban areas of Australia as completely overrun.

BTW - I would be hard pressed to find a 2.75 mile run on an empty beach close to where I live anytime of year!  Maybe at 1 or 2 in the morning.  

Our experience in parts of  Australia and in Southern Thailand.....finding an empty beach during the day is the norm.  Our first visit with friends in NSW we saw one person on the beach as far as our eyes could see.  Our Ozzie host commented that it was a busy day on the beach!.   That is why we spend winters in both place.

My parents rented a beach area apartment in 1945 and 1951.Aside from those 2 years I spent time at a beach every year till 1960 .I loved being on the subway train heading to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn,NY and seeing the beach and ocean as the train was getting to the beach station.

I also loved the smell of the ocean.

I'm heading to our local (town) beach in about 10 minutes -- it's on Long Island Sound, not the ocean, but there is still the smell of sea air - and about five or so miles across to LI, with a decent cooling breeze out of the south, making the effective temperature about 70-75, rather than the 90+ here.

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I'm heading to our local (town) beach in about 10 minutes -- it's on Long Island Sound, not the ocean, but there is still the smell of sea air - and about five or so miles across to LI, with a decent cooling breeze out of the south, making the effective temperature about 70-75, rather than the 90+ here.

In the early to mid 80’s we often spent time in Old Saybrook and spent some time on the beach there.