Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

I haven't cruised with Princess since 2019, which was the last time I logged into the website with my email and password. Yesterday,  I was able to login and update my email address but I could not change my username. Which is, you guessed it, my old email addy.

Today, neither the old email or the current one allows me to login. Any advice?

I am really dreading dealing with the app assuming I book a cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txauntiemame said:

How can you tell which version you have?

On your phone, go to Settings and then Apps.  Look up the Princess App in the list and tap on that to open up the details.  The version number will be in there.  Then, go to Play Store and look up the Princess App there.  Tap on the info and it will expand and include the current version number.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

On your phone, go to Settings and then Apps.  Look up the Princess App in the list and tap on that to open up the details.  The version number will be in there.  Then, go to Play Store and look up the Princess App there.  Tap on the info and it will expand and include the current version number.

The data on the app is very questionable 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, Steelers36 said:

If you are not Platinum or Elite level in Captain's Circle, then supposedly you cannot use Dine My Way (DMW) to book dining until after you have made your Final Payment (you can pay early of course).  That said, some folks have reported being able to make reservations in DMW who have not made FP and who are below Platinum level.  Personally, IDK if this is a system bug or if Princess has quietly modified their policy (but I do think some folks have also posted not being able to make a res, but it is hard to tell if they have run into one of the countless system bug-a-boos or if they are being stopped due to not qualified. 

I'm a lowly Gold and have Premier for a cruise in May '24 - I haven't made final payment. Today I was able to go into the app and reserve one of the included specialty dining reservations, and it zero'd out the cost and correctly applied the credit. I wasn't able to reserve our 2nd included SD using a credit - it wanted to charge my credit card. I'll try using my husband's app later and see if I can book the 2nd reservation on his - perhaps it'll make the difference (though it shouldn't). Regardless, I have plenty of time to try to make that 2nd reservation. And as Steelers notes above, I shouldn't actually have access to book SD with my status and being before final payment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

I'm a lowly Gold and have Premier for a cruise in May '24 - I haven't made final payment. Today I was able to go into the app and reserve one of the included specialty dining reservations, and it zero'd out the cost and correctly applied the credit. I wasn't able to reserve our 2nd included SD using a credit - it wanted to charge my credit card. I'll try using my husband's app later and see if I can book the 2nd reservation on his - perhaps it'll make the difference (though it shouldn't). Regardless, I have plenty of time to try to make that 2nd reservation. And as Steelers notes above, I shouldn't actually have access to book SD with my status and being before final payment.

I suspect DMW used both of your credits.  It shouldn't matter is right.  Seems odd for it to do that for cabinmates.  I cannot recall all of what I figured it was doing last Fall... which can be irrelevant now...  but I thought it was just not using other dining companion credits and using all of ours.  It also could be that the SD credits will work a day or two from now.  It's a black box. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I suspect DMW used both of your credits.  It shouldn't matter is right.  Seems odd for it to do that for cabinmates.  I cannot recall all of what I figured it was doing last Fall... which can be irrelevant now...  but I thought it was just not using other dining companion credits and using all of ours.  It also could be that the SD credits will work a day or two from now.  It's a black box. 

That appears to be the case. In my husband's app, in the dining section there's a star and it says he has a dining credit. I'm able to reserve the 2nd night of SD in his app, showing the cost zero'd out. But then it gets the error that others have mentioned where it is unable to complete the reservation due to insufficient information. I'll just give it a try again in a few days. 

• Thanks 2

On 9/19/2023 at 3:03 PM, memoak said:

When did you buy it ? 

I bought my Princess Plus package in mid June 2023 for a cruise in November 2023.
I hope room service is included!  I guess $14.99 isn't all that much, but things add up quickly on board. 

Edited by txauntiemame

16 hours ago, txauntiemame said:

I bought my Princess Plus package in mid June 2023 for a cruise in November 2023.
I hope room service is included!  I guess $14.99 isn't all that much, but things add up quickly on board. 

Ordering thru the Medallion App, Room service and 2 casual dining meals are free with the Plus Package.

Edited by gmcwalker
  • Thanks 1

I just found and enrolled in CruiseCritic, so forgive any show of ignorance.  But I saw the discussion of Princess' Medallion  App, read the first couple pages from years ago and it's STILL the most intrusive app of any that I've seen (not just related to cruises or travel topics but any app for any purpose).  The permissions that it requests (demands, actually!) are pervasive, wanting access to virtually everything.

It requires permission to use SMS not just for updating information but for all their promotions and including their business partners.

I picked my cruise because it offered good destinations and itinerary, but I think afterwards I'll retract permissions and then delete it entirely.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Celcius said:

I just found and enrolled in Cruise Critic, so forgive any show of ignorance.  But I saw the discussion of Princess' Medallion  App, read the first couple pages from years ago and it's STILL the most intrusive app of any that I've seen (not just related to cruises or travel topics but any app for any purpose).  The permissions that it requests (demands, actually!) are pervasive, wanting access to virtually everything.

It requires permission to use SMS not just for updating information but for all their promotions and including their business partners.

I picked my cruise because it offered good destinations and itinerary, but I think afterwards I'll retract permissions and then delete it entirely.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Princess.  I have never had a text from Princess nor another associated party to solicit information.  I do receive marketing emails from Princess as well as other "suggestions" if I have a booking. 

Hope you enjoy the cruise because the crew is wonderful and the on-board experience is great.  Unfortunately, the App tends to leave a a sour taste before you get on the ship.  It is much better there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celcius said:

One doesn't actually have to have or use the app. to sail with Princess. Just arrive at the pier with all appropriate documentation and they will check you in just like they have always done pre-medallion. The medallion itself will function properly onboard without the app - you just won't be able to use the "features" that are app specific. Many people never use those features anyway.

Enjoy your cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

How do you dispose of your Medallion when you get back environmentally friendly. It's got a battery in it and has a magnet plus it has your name on it. You can't just throw it in the rubbish bin as not allowed to put batteries in with the normal rubbish. You are supposed to recycle batteries, there are recycling points in most supermarkets. But you can't put it in there as it's not just a battery but has a magnet on it, plus as I said it has your names on it.  Before anyone says , no I don't want to use as a fridge magnet or keep as a momento, just more for the kids to get rid of when we are no longer here ( Haha I was going to say when we pop our clogs, but wasn't sure if other nationalities would understand that one 😀

Edited by amajaa
Typo
  • Haha 1

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in October of 2024. Every time I try to add this booking to the app it states No Booking # found. Has anyone else had this problem with the new Sun Princess bookings? The booking does show up when I sign into my Princess account so I know the booking number is correct. Any information is appreciated before I try calling Princess.

4 hours ago, amajaa said:

How do you dispose of your Medallion when you get back environmentally friendly. It's got a battery in it and has a magnet plus it has your name on it. You can't just throw it in the rubbish bin as not allowed to put batteries in with the normal rubbish. You are supposed to recycle batteries, there are recycling points in most supermarkets. But you can't put it in there as it's not just a battery but has a magnet on it, plus as I said it has your names on it.  Before anyone says , no I don't want to use as a fridge magnet or keep as a momento, just more for the kids to get rid of when we are no longer here ( Haha I was going to say when we pop our clogs, but wasn't sure if other nationalities would understand that one 😀

We put them in battery recycling all the time no problem

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in October of 2024. Every time I try to add this booking to the app it states No Booking # found. Has anyone else had this problem with the new Sun Princess bookings? The booking does show up when I sign into my Princess account so I know the booking number is correct. Any information is appreciated before I try calling Princess.

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in February 2024. The name of the ship isn't showing up on the app, but only with minimum further information. When I try to go into the booking on the app, it is defaulting to my next cruise at the end of this month. Is it frustrating? Yes! But does it work once on board? Yes! The main feature I wish they would fix is making the specialty dining reservations as we don't like waiting to get on board to do that since, depending on the cruise, reservations can get filled pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in February 2024. The name of the ship isn't showing up on the app, but only with minimum further information. When I try to go into the booking on the app, it is defaulting to my next cruise at the end of this month. Is it frustrating? Yes! But does it work once on board? Yes! The main feature I wish they would fix is making the specialty dining reservations as we don't like waiting to get on board to do that since, depending on the cruise, reservations can get filled pretty quickly.

You do realize that this ship is still benign built ?

6 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Don't try to log into the app using your Booking Number. It won't work. Log in with user name and password. Any time you try to "link your booking" whether in the app or the online version it doesn't work. It's just one more example of absolutely horrible programming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Don't try to log into the app using your Booking Number. It won't work. Log in with user name and password. Any time you try to "link your booking" whether in the app or the online version it doesn't work. It's just one more example of absolutely horrible programming.

Thanks Thrak. I tried your suggestion but it didn’t work. Maybe it’s a result of the ship not being completed as yet but with all the problems that have occurred since the start of the medallion app nothing surprises me anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Never attempt to add or link a booking to the App.  It is very annoying that IT keeps this there as it has no function and doesn't work.  IDK if they intended it for something - if so, it's a mystery.

Your bookings with a deposit are automatically linked to the App after a day or two from creation in POLAR. 

If you cannot login to the App with UserId/Pswd, but you can login to Princess.com that way, then there is a data issue between the two systems that needs to be corrected.  You could try a "Forgot Pswd" option in the App and see if that allows you to reset.  UserId/Pswd should be the same for web version and App.  If that doesn't work, do a password reset at Princess.com and see if that sync up with the App.  Otherwise, you need to inform the tech team and they need to identify and fix whatever the data corruption issue is.

The other way to sign in is for a specific voyage.  You use Name, Birthdate, and Booking Number.  This option exists for both web version and App.  This should always work in both environments.  If it doesn't then either booking not populated yet in App, or there is some sort of data issue.

• Like 3

Good morning

I live in the UK. On the 26th August I booked The Catch and the Crown Grill.  I went on the app yesterday to cancel the 2 bookings and re-book on different  days. I managed to re-book The Catch but when I went to book the Crown Grill, I got an error message although there are times available. I have tried turning my phone off, re-installing the app, using different cards, tried on another phone but I still get the error message.  Any ideas please?

On 9/22/2023 at 1:59 PM, Thrak said:

I was not able to log in to the app with my username and password and had to login using my booking number. I also could not book my cruise from my computer ( error after submitting payment). My sister had the same issue from her own computer. Tried multiple times over two days before needing to phone princess. Their website and app seem terrible with many glitches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronanc said:

I was not able to log in to the app with my username and password and had to login using my booking number. I also could not book my cruise from my computer ( error after submitting payment). My sister had the same issue from her own computer. Tried multiple times over two days before needing to phone princess. Their website and app seem terrible with many glitches. 

What you say is true and some users run into bugs and others not.  This seems to point to bad data more than program code.

Logging in with Name, BD, Booking Nbr should get you to the cruise if Id/Pswd doesn't work.

• Like 1

Eh, as a software engineer, it seems to me that it's mostly the software. There are a lot of ways to do things and that makes their system complex which leads to bugs. You can log in with username/password or booking # so that's two ways to log in. That could lead to data integrity problems but those problems happen because of problems with the software. I doubt the app and the website share a lot of code either which means double the chance for bugs.

• Like 4