Princess Cays Noob question - Do they have umbrellas or just the clamshells for rent?

CruiseMrB

I've never been to Princess Cays but have been to RCI Coco Cay a while ago. I noticed that in the blerb about features, Princess does not mention the availability of umbrellas. It does mention beach clamshells available for rent at $40 per day. Just trying to get a clear picture. No umbrellas, only clamshells. Is this correct?

I would need to know to make sure we sign up for clamshell (or possibly cabana) in advance if no umbrellas are generally available as skin cancer is an issue. It's not an option to guess. 

Also, We're the crazy ones on the beach with hat, neck gators , UPF rated long-sleeve shirts and long pants. For swimming, it's UPF rated shorts and rash guards and then get back under the umbrella / clamshell ASAP.

Thanks

No umbrellas to rent in my experience, just the clam shells.  But there are many permanent shade structures such as this scattered about the various beach areas.  We were also able to park under some palm trees all day for ample shade, which allows for breeze -- something you can't get under the clam shells.  I can relate to your sun issues -- we are the same way and take all available precautions 🙂  You might Google Princess Cays images for more examples of the shade structures.  This is just a small example. Your Ultimate Princess Cays Travel Guide - The Rendezvous Spot

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2

There are the pavilion roof covers,  which might fill up fast.

And if you are not down on the water, there are loungers under palm trees that can provide some shade.

So, either one of those two options or a clamshell.

There is great video of Princess Cays on youtube!

As someone who beat melanoma, I understand your concerns.  We tried the clam shells and honestly they are so hot with no breeze at all.  After half an hour, we gave it to some kids.  Get there early and try to find lounges in the shade…they do fill up quickly.  We stopped getting off the ship at private islands a few years ago and we just enjoyed the quiet on board and the many lounge chairs in the shade.  Stay safe!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

As someone who beat melanoma, I understand your concerns.  We tried the clam shells and honestly they are so hot with no breeze at all.  After half an hour, we gave it to some kids.  Get there early and try to find lounges in the shade…they do fill up quickly.  We stopped getting off the ship at private islands a few years ago and we just enjoyed the quiet on board and the many lounge chairs in the shade.  Stay safe!

Thank you! Sounds like great advice. At least the first trip there, we would try either the lounge in the shade or go all the way up to a cabana. I concur about treating some of the shore days as if they were sea days because I can control exposure better.

Quite often on private islands, I would be one of the first off the ship early, then go back on the ship for the midday sun, then possibly go back for an hour or so later in the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

Thank you! Sounds like great advice. At least the first trip there, we would try either the lounge in the shade or go all the way up to a cabana. I concur about treating some of the shore days as if they were sea days because I can control exposure better.

Quite often on private islands, I would be one of the first off the ship early, then go back on the ship for the midday sun, then possibly go back for an hour or so later in the day.

We booked a cabana the last time at Princess Cays.  Loved it. Will rent one again.  Would advise booking early as they do usually sell out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

Cabana is the way to go!  I hope you get one…..so much fun and it will keep you safe and worry free.  Let us know how it goes!

20 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

Also, We're the crazy ones on the beach with hat, neck gators , UPF rated long-sleeve shirts and long pants. For swimming, it's UPF rated shorts and rash guards and then get back under the umbrella / clamshell ASAP.

not all that crazy. So are we. I have a red head kiddo who is practically transparent, so we are super careful with the sun.

They don't have umbrellas, but if you get to the beach early enough, you can get a spot in the shade - PPs already covered it. Try to get one in the middle of the "pavillion" because the sun moves.

Princess cay is an enjoyable beach location. When you get tired of the sun, go to the little pier and feed the fish and the crabs off of it - it has a roof. People usually snorkel right next to it to see all the fishes.

Our other MUST for Princess Cays is water shoes. There are many sharp rocks in the water and on the beach itself, so we always end up hurt. One time my kid sliced his foot pretty badly on the rock on Day 1 of the cruise and refused to get into any water for the rest of it - be it the shower or the ocean. So, now we bring water shoes whenever we have Princess Cays on the itinerary.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, diane.in.ny said:

I saw a picture of the clamshell with the back part lifted up ... so very possible to get a breeze through there. Has anyone tried that?

You could try it, but I doubt if it would help much.  We really hated them and would never get one again, even for free.  I would prefer to just move lounge chairs around to shady spots.  You could just wait around for vacant clam shells, as they seemed to be abandoned quite early on.

11 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

You could try it, but I doubt if it would help much.  We really hated them and would never get one again, even for free.  I would prefer to just move lounge chairs around to shady spots.  You could just wait around for vacant clam shells, as they seemed to be abandoned quite early on.

WIth clam-shells, I think one really, really wants to be in the lead dog. (front row)

(an image I googled)

Princess-Cay.jpg?progressive=1&quality=7

Where's Arlene?  She always used to call the people in the clam shells

"baked clams".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Does anyone check you have paid for one?

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

WIth clam-shells, I think one really, really wants to be in the lead dog. (front row)

(an image I googled)

Princess-Cay.jpg?progressive=1&quality=7

Where's Arlene?  She always used to call the people in the clam shells

"baked clams".

Baked clams.  lol That is funny. 

And thanks for the picture. Note how the second one in the first row is lifted off the sand. I've seen pictures where it is lifted like that, even more, so a breeze can come through.

17 minutes ago, diane.in.ny said:

We were given a ticket onboard and then we had to find the clam shell guy who got one for us.  We could put it in any available spot.  This was years ago, so maybe they are now free.  They should be!

Note that by afternoon, the sun is going to be shining into those clamshells, so they are facing the wrong way for shade purposes - but of course they are all setup to face the water. 

There is a small amount of palm tree cover.  There are several structures like an open gazebo with a roof overhead.  However, tricky to get a spot that remains in shade if that is your objective.  

I would say that PC is a spot I don't mind getting off for in the morning, but after a short while am ready to get back on the ship.  My wife likes the beach time.  We both want shade, however.

This aerial view of part of the beach gives you an idea of the gazebo type structures.  Not very many of them.  The large dark blue one on the very left is the picnic table eating area.

Princess Cay Beach | www.brook-ward.com/blog/2017/8/11/princ… | Flickr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diane.in.ny said:

In the morning, they are all closed.

You need one of the beach attendants to open it for you.

(when they will check your receipt)

I guess later in the day, you could look for one that has been vacated...

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Note that by afternoon, the sun is going to be shining into those clamshells, so they are facing the wrong way for shade purposes - but of course they are all setup to face the water. 

There is a small amount of palm tree cover.  There are several structures like an open gazebo with a roof overhead.  However, tricky to get a spot that remains in shade if that is your objective.  

I would say that PC is a spot I don't mind getting off for in the morning, but after a short while am ready to get back on the ship.  My wife likes the beach time.  We both want shade, however.

This aerial view of part of the beach gives you an idea of the gazebo type structures.  Not very many of them.  The large dark blue one on the very left is the picnic table eating area.

Princess Cay Beach | www.brook-ward.com/blog/2017/8/11/princ… | Flickr

Wow! Thanks for the picture. I would guess, if the back can be opened, might be able to scoot the lounger back, more into the shade.  But I know just the morning will be more than enough for DH  🙂

I love love love getting a cabana/bungalow at Princess Cay.  Honestly it is worth the price for the private loungers and the ability to eat in air-conditioning!!  Clamshells look great but in my experience have been awful heat traps.

22 minutes ago, amanda384 said:

I love love love getting a cabana/bungalow at Princess Cay.  Honestly it is worth the price for the private loungers and the ability to eat in air-conditioning!!  Clamshells look great but in my experience have been awful heat traps.

I would not waste my money on a clamshell.  As for the cabanas, well that is a personal call, but I certainly would want to think I was staying the whole day with the pricing they charge.  

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would not waste my money on a clamshell.  As for the cabanas, well that is a personal call, but I certainly would want to think I was staying the whole day with the pricing they charge.  

Oh yeah, I drop anchor. I am there as early as possible and stay as long as possible.  It is always my favorite beach day of the trip!

• Haha 1