The Daily for Friday Jul 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is I Forgot Day, World UFO Day, and World Sports Journalists Day

I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them. - Phyllis Diller

Meal suggestion for today - Spinach and Cheese Flatbread

Drink of the Day - Boozy Grinch Punch

Wine of the day - Coppo Barbera d'Asti Camp du Rouss - Italy - Red

Destination of the Day - Mgarr (Victoria) Gozo Malta

At Sea Gulf of California
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 7/6

At Sea Ionian Sea
Eurodam destination Piraeus GR eta 7/4

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam drifting off Baja California
Westerdam destination La Paz MX eta 7/3
Zuiderdam drifting off Baja California

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0702World.thumb.png.afce1a6106fe3425dc8c43999b4cd13e.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll salute journalists, ponder UFO's and try to forget the other day.  Great Diller quote.  I've been to Valetta but nowhere else in Malta.  I'm going a bit into fantasy on the next 4 days alternate meal selections.  I sailed MS Zaandam Skagway to Vancouver with a Canadian tour group July 2-7, 2002.  I wasn't blogging then and don't have the menus but I'm using 2018 Statendam menus as a substitute, and at that time was just beginning to tackle diabetes so this is what I would likely have chosen.  For July 2 it was Tossed Seasonal Greens, Braised Game Hen, and NSA Vanilla ice cream.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
Additional indigenous graves found
Mamaofami rehab center problems
wandb sister-finished with aggressive chemo and awaiting cat scan results
Bennybear DSILrecovering from surgery for aggressive cancer
Surfside, Florida
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Miss Camila about ready to move to NICU closer to family

Dfish in Michigan

CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania

HorizonChaser1857 visiting DS in Okanagan

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A happy day here!  We're going for our second jabs this morning.

P1010316s.jpg

Good luck today Melanie and Jim.

Hopefully you have no side effects.

62°F and sunny here this afternoon.

We have been to a Yorkshire designer outlet this morning.

We have stayed in Malta and visited Valletta several times in a cruise.

It is a very scenic cruise in.

Gozo is a little island next to Malta.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham. 

IMG_20210702_114035.jpg

IMG_20210702_114619.jpg

• Like 28

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll salute journalists, ponder UFO's and try to forget the other day.  Great Diller quote.  I've been to Valetta but nowhere else in Malta.  I'm going a bit into fantasy on the next 4 days alternate meal selections.  I sailed MS Zaandam Skagway to Vancouver with a Canadian tour group July 2-7, 2002.  I wasn't blogging then and don't have the menus but I'm using 2018 Statendam menus as a substitute, and at that time was just beginning to tackle diabetes so this is what I would likely have chosen.  For July 2 it was Tossed Seasonal Greens, Braised Game Hen, and NSA Vanilla ice cream.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
Additional indigenous graves found
Mamaofami rehab center problems
wandb sister-finished with aggressive chemo and awaiting cat scan results
Bennybear DSILrecovering from surgery for aggressive cancer
Surfside, Florida
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Miss Camila about ready to move to NICU closer to family

Dfish in Michigan

CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania

HorizonChaser1857 visiting DS in Okanagan

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, thanks for the two lists.  Have a great Independence weekend.

• Like 7

Good morning, everyone from beautiful Midland, Michigan.   Stayed with my sister in Midland last night and we will join the northern migration today and head for the Traverse City area - Kewadin, to be specific.

Today's meal sounds good.  A little carby for me, but it would be a nice dinner with a green salad to go along with it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/spinach-and-cheese-flatbread-recipe-1973893

Spinach and Cheese Flatbread.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite the combination of days. It is a lovely morning here. There is a cool breeze that is almost “long-sleeves worthy”. Once the sun crests the trees, that will change quickly. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! The meal sounds good, though more as a shared appetizer. Drink sounds interesting.  
A busy morning for me. Zumba, mani/pedi, and hopefully some decent, rainless walks. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Coppo Barbera d'Asti Camp du Rouss 2016

This red from Italy has excellent ratings and a decent price. I found it for as low as $17.99 online. You might find it for less. 

Vinous: 90 Points

Coppo's 2016 Barbera d'Asti Camp du Rouss is a big, exotically ripe Barbera endowed with tons of richness. Exotic and flamboyant to its core, the 2016 flows across the palate with super-ripe red cherry, raspberry jam, kirsch, sweet spice, mint and new leather. There is no subtlety here, that is pretty obvious - then again, we are talking about 2016. I would prefer to drink the 2016 sooner rather than later.

James Suckling 90
A juicy Barbera with lots of burnt orange peel and dark fruit. Full body, light tannins and a savory, fruity finish.
Wine Enthusiast 90
You'll find alluring aromas of black-skinned fruit and exotic spice on this full-bodied red. On the structured palate, fine-grained tannins support dried cherry, blackberry and clove while a hint of coffee bean closes the finish.
Wine Spectator 90
Bright and polished, displaying black cherry, raspberry, floral and oak spice flavors. Fluid and harmonious, with a long, resonant finish.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from downeast, Maine. Yesterday we visited Portland, Maine, an occasional port call for Holland America. Portland features a rather high area overlooking the port and surrounding area. Many very large homes occupy the streets. 

Prior to Portland, we really enjoyed Ogunquit, a very small coastal town with a popular draw, it's Marginal Way walkway along the Ocean.

20210701_113706.jpg

20210701_114358.jpg

20210701_115132.jpg

20210701_115144.jpg

20210701_115344.jpg

20210701_115548.jpg

20210701_115929.jpg

20210701_121306.jpg

20210701_121310.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Bright sunny day with rain moving in.  We need it.  Most days are I forget days for me.  I like the Diller quote.  Will pass on the meal.  Have never been to Malta, looking forward to the photo's.

Happy for all the safe travels, first and second jabs, and improving health issues.

Stay safe, keep your distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Boozy Grinch Punch:

Ingredients (for 12 servings)

1 (0.13-oz.) packet Kool-Aid Lemon Lime mix
4 c. water
4 c. ice
3 c. lemon-lime soda
2 c. pineapple juice
2 c. vodka
1 c. ginger ale
Lime wedges, for rimming
Red sanding sugar, for rimming
Directions

In a large pitcher combine Kool-Aid and water.
In a large punch bowl, combine ice, kool-aid, soda, pineapple juice, vodka, and ginger ale.
Use a lime wedge to rim glasses and dip in sanding sugar to coat. Pour punch into glasses to serve.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.51.52 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning   and  thanks  to  Rich,Roy,Jacqui  and  the  Food  and  Beverage  department. I  had  a  good  chuckle  yesterday  about  the  seeds  that  turned  from  peppers  into  tomatoes. I  forgot  day  is becoming  more  frequent  in  this  household. I  am  not  sure  about  UFO's  but  I will  certainly  celebrate  their  day. DH  will  cheer  for  sports  journalists. We  have  not  been  to  Malta  but  look  forward  to  pictures.

I  would  enjoy  the  recipe for  a  meal  but  DH  would  wonder  where  the  rest  of  his  dinner  was.

Today  we  have  leftover  "birthday  brisket  " to  finish  so  kitchen  duties  will  be  minimal.

The  good  news  continues  about   baby  Camilla. She  is  expected  to  transfer to  a  NICU  closer  to  mama  and  dad either  today  and  tomorrow. The  NICU  staff  are  very  pleased  with  her  progress  thus  far. We  feel  so  blessed. I  will  see  Camilla's  Grandma(DN) on  Monday  when  we  start  our  visit  to  Massachusetts  and  the  Cape.

On  the  NY  front our  Tana  is  again  having  some  medical  issues  but  so  far  has  been  able  to  remain  home. She  has  oxygen  there when  she  needs  it intermittently. We  are  all impressed  with her  ability  to  maintain  a  positive  attitude when  faced  with  such  up  and  down  situations. I  really  admire her  strength.

Terry

• Like 29

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Friday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days. Not sure if it’s due to age or the pandemic but I forgot days have gotten more common for me as of late. I’ll let DH celebrate the sports journalists and I will celebrate all journalists.

LOL on the Phyllis Diller quote.  A good one for sure 😂 

That “meal” suggestion is an interesting one with accompaniments.

Feels like our humidity may be dropping.  Hope so for the dogs’ sake as well as mine 😉. My gardens need a lot of work thanks to all the heat and humidity.

@smitty34877 good to hear such promising news on Baby Camilla 👍 

@puppycanducruisecongratulations on getting the 2nd jab today!

Still smiling at the story of the.peppers that turned into tomatoes yesterday  LOL 😆 @bennybearhere are a few pics of some of the black pearl chiles so you can compare.

In the circle, the one closest is a Serrano and next to it is a Black Pearl.  

FEB80C97-B7F9-4DC0-B17B-862C2E2110A2.thumb.jpeg.35ffcaa05192010324dfde246fe77298.jpeg

The problem is the black pearl is so dark it is hard to see next to the earth.

ED3EF8F8-5B80-4E8B-BE2C-362A2C50BC8E.thumb.jpeg.ee136410345948ee8f8db7ca1f49bcdc.jpeg

I have chilies everywhere in various planters.  A black pearl is in this one.

B115A6AB-49FC-4A08-86FC-391E1DFABD4B.thumb.jpeg.618cf3a5ffead8610728de0059e8c010.jpeg

Now, they are not that tall yet but they are more bushy than other chilies.  The pics don’t really show how tall they are so to put it in perspective here is one of the planters.  The chilies are at the back and I have circled one so you can gage it.  The Black Pearl is just about 1” shorter than the Serrano so far.  Most of the plants aren’t in flower yet as they were all by seed but I suspect they will be in a week or two 🤞 

CA5DE085-C320-49E8-ACCC-3B14612CE2C2.thumb.jpeg.9207039ebd124530e2b25e48850f7308.jpeg

My big mistake was planting some of the Cheyenne peppers in this planter.  I put them in the back and the cosmos aren’t letting them get enough sun.

99881C7B-B9A9-4955-8EC8-4A05AA82EDB7.thumb.jpeg.c3db4767fd32a9b94160287215839265.jpeg

Oh well, lesson learned.  Hang in there Brenda.  I’m betting in a month we will both be amazed by our chilies - at least, I sure hope so.  FWIW, DH thinks they are looking great.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone!  Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31

Good morning all!  It looks like rain is on its way here from the north today.  I have to go out for my hair appointment in a bit and looks like I will get caught up in it unfortunately.  I just heard Elsa is officially a hurricane now so I will have to keep an eye on the weather because we can end up with high winds and tons of rain from them.

I have been in Mgarr, Malta in 2017 on a 22 day Westerdam cruise from Barcelona to Venice.  It was HOT!  We still enjoyed it though.  Here is the view as we approached the island of Gozo.enhance

Everything is so spread out so we decided to take a Hop On-Hop Off bus ride to see some of the sights.  From the top of the double decker bus we saw thisenhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Homes and businesses along the streets we rode on.  Lots of balcony space.enhance

Decorative lights above the streets in the capital, Victoria.enhance

enhance

Along the coastline there is a spot called Fungus Rock where divers like to go. enhance

enhance

We had a short stop at Ta Pinu Basilica.  Very pretty.enhance

enhance

Some green space in the cityenhance

Heading back to the port, you can see the Westerdam at anchor far off in the distance.enhance

It's an interesting place but I would probably only need to see it once.  The next day was Valletta , and that was an awesome stop along our cruise.  In fact, we docked in Valletta the same evening after leaving Mgarr, and seeing it lit up at night is part of the wonder of the city.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  So many days during this pandemic have been I forgot days - they've all melded together.  Not sure about UFO's, but it is interesting hearing about pilots seeing things that mystify them.  DH's attitude is he doesn't believe in them until he gets to kick the tires and check the oil on one.  The sports journalists have had to expand their horizons this past year, trying to keep people entertained.

Another hot day in the offing here on the "frozen tundra" with our predicted high to be 39C (102F), so we're doing things early in the morning and then heading indoors.  I'll be watering all the pots around the yard, while DH will mow both front and back lawns.   We'll likely have to re-fill the fountain a couple of times throughout the day from both the birds splashing in it, and evaporation.

It was wonderful actually having people in to our house yesterday - the first time we've had guests since this whole pandemic began.  Our friends were as excited at going out as we were having them, so they brought gifts for us - grilling spices, wine, and chocolates.  Spending an evening together with old friends really does something for your spirits; we look forward to the time when we can have more than just 1 couple in for a visit.

@puppycanducruise congrats on getting your 2nd jab today!!

@AncientWanderer I loved your pepper/tomato story!

Interesting dinner suggestion - as someone else has mentioned, DH would be wondering where the rest of the meal was.  BTW, I made the Lemon Garlic Salmon in the air fryer/toaster oven yesterday and our friends loved it as much as we do.  We have leftovers from yesterday's barbecue, so it'll be pork chops, dilled potatoes and Greek salad on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow. 

Love the planter box. I’m going to try planting mine with more plants.

Thanks. 🙂 It’s new this year.  Cedar (Cedar Craft).  I was concerned it wasn’t solid, but once it got wet and the wood expanded and the earth went in, it is just fine.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I made the Lemon Garlic Salmon in the air fryer/toaster oven yesterday and our friends loved it as much as we do. 

I am starting to think I have to get an air fryer with all your great reports.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks. 🙂 It’s new this year.  Cedar (Cedar Craft).  I was concerned it wasn’t solid, but once it got wet and the wood expanded and the earth went in, it is just fine.

Hmm. I believe they made ours. From Canada, right? Ours is a distressed grey color and is on casters. From Costco.

• Like 6