Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With or Without the Princess Plus Pacakage

Jeter02

Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With or Without the Princess Plus Pacakage  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With the Princess Plus Package or Cruise fare ONLY?

• Princess Saver (Cruise fare ONLY)
    • Princess Plus Package (gratuities, wifi, drink package)

2 minutes ago, southamptoncruisers said:

Yes, we live life on the edge. Treading that fine line between good and bad.

at least you know what could happen

does your husband also wear shorts to the mdr on picture night ? 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

and risk having your entire beverage package(s) revoked and no refund ???

2 hours ago, southamptoncruisers said:

Yes, we live life on the edge. Treading that fine line between good and bad.

Not at all likely to happen. The bartenders know that both of you have the package and don't really care about "that sort" of sharing. One night I was in Skywalker's quite late and ordered a drink before going to bed. They advised me I had hit the 15 drink limit. I remembered I had gotten a Grand Marnier earlier on my account and taken it to my wife who had retired to the cabin earlier. The bartender simply asked if I would like them to put the drink on my wife's account. Not an issue at all. (I opted for a San Pellegrino instead and went to bed.)

If the bartenders know you and know you aren't a drunk or a jerk they have no problem "bending" the rules slightly. It's not like you are sharing your drinks with someone who doesn't have a drink package. It was a 28 day cruise and most nights I'd hit Skywalker's quite late. Usually there was nobody there but me and the crew and they would end up closing "early" because there was no business. I had sat and talked with them many nights.

The "rules" say only one drink at a time but the bartenders on every cruise where we have had the drink package consistently pour me doubles as I often drink Scotch neat. They charge me twice of course but don't have any issue at all pouring the drink as a double. Be a nice person. Treat the bartenders and servers well. (No, I don't mean bribe them with a bunch of tips. I mean treat them like you would want to be treated. yourself. Be a nice person. They see enough of the other type of person to appreciate folks who are nice to them.)

On the other hand, if folks do "share" the drink package with someone else who doesn't have a drink package so therefore has no right to the drinks then that person is acting as a thief and I have no sympathy if they get caught and have their drink package rescinded. (I'm not real tolerant of thieves...)

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Not at all likely to happen. The bartenders know that both of you have the package and don't really care about "that sort" of sharing. One night I was in Skywalker's quite late and ordered a drink before going to bed. They advised me I had hit the 15 drink limit. I remembered I had gotten a Grand Marnier earlier on my account and taken it to my wife who had retired to the cabin earlier. The bartender simply asked if I would like them to put the drink on my wife's account. Not an issue at all. (I opted for a San Pellegrino instead and went to bed.)

If the bartenders know you and know you aren't a drunk or a jerk they have no problem "bending" the rules slightly. It's not like you are sharing your drinks with someone who doesn't have a drink package. It was a 28 day cruise and most nights I'd hit Skywalker's quite late. Usually there was nobody there but me and the crew and they would end up closing "early" because there was no business. I had sat and talked with them many nights.

The "rules" say only one drink at a time but the bartenders on every cruise where we have had the drink package consistently pour me doubles as I often drink Scotch neat. They charge me twice of course but don't have any issue at all pouring the drink as a double. Be a nice person. Treat the bartenders and servers well. (No, I don't mean bribe them with a bunch of tips. I mean treat them like you would want to be treated. yourself. Be a nice person. They see enough of the other type of person to appreciate folks who are nice to them.)

On the other hand, if folks do "share" the drink package with someone else who doesn't have a drink package so therefore has no right to the drinks then that person is acting as a thief and I have no sympathy if they get caught and have their drink package rescinded. (I'm not real tolerant of thieves...)

Couldn't agree more with you on treating the crew members with the outmost amounts of kindness. Big pet peeves if nine, as they work so incredibly hard. 

• Like 4

Based on my current booking (Emerald March 2022) it was a no brainer to go for plus. The price increase worked out to a couple drinks a day which is a deal compared to other cruise lines.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I feel like some, BUT "not all," are pretty much saying: "Here's $280 just so I will not receive a bill at the end of my cruise." 🤷‍♀️ To each his own.

👏👏👏 I agree. 

• Like 1

I choose the Princess Plus. At $40pp/day more than Saver it saves me money in the long run. When I factor out the normal gratuity of $14.50pp/day that means I’m only spending $25.50pp/day more.

Two glasses of wine at dinner at an average $10 each +18% gratuity is $23.60.  I will always have at least 1-2 more alcoholic beverages (beers, mixed drinks, etc) than just the aforementioned two glasses of wine in a day, plus a bottle of water or two and at least one latte, so if billed by the beverage I’d spend well in excess of $25.50/day.  Same with any companion I’d travel with. 

Note I don’t mention internet as I don’t factor that into the cost/benefit analysis. As an elite I used to get minutes so it was irrelevant to any pricing evaluation. Also the Elite minibar, while a nice perk is limiting in my social enjoyment of my cruise ex-stateroom, so therefore also not included in my analysis. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I choose the Princess Plus. At $40pp/day more than Saver it saves me money in the long run. When I factor out the normal gratuity of $14.50pp/day that means I’m only spending $25.50pp/day more.

Two glasses of wine at dinner at an average $10 each +18% gratuity is $23.60.  I will always have at least 1-2 more alcoholic beverages (beers, mixed drinks, etc) than just the aforementioned two glasses of wine in a day, plus a bottle of water or two and at least one latte, so if billed by the beverage I’d spend well in excess of $25.50/day.  Same with any companion I’d travel with. 

Note I don’t mention internet as I don’t factor that into the cost/benefit analysis. As an elite I used to get minutes so it was irrelevant to any pricing evaluation. Also the Elite minibar, while a nice perk is limiting in my social enjoyment of my cruise ex-stateroom, so therefore also not included in my analysis. 

Sounds like you're definitely making out well with the princess plus.

I'll be honest with all the medallion cruises I have taken which is well over 10 plus I've always just kind of paid the discounted 25% off of the internet just because with those free minutes we were getting with elite back in the day with the old internet system the minutes used to be chewed up because you couldn't even log out because the system was so slow with the bandwidth. I know the internet is free with the plus which is lovely and now they're charging 50% off for elite members. I'll be happy just to Shell out $30 for the unlimited access no biggie. For the mini bar setup I always enjoy switching that out for my case of water and I'm a happy cruiser.

Wife and I are not big drinkers, but I like the idea of not having to even calculate costs while on the cruise, and just getting what you might feel like getting, without regard to costs.  She likes specialty coffee drinks, so that's a bonus too. I also need to stay in touch with work a bit, and like to be able to reach out to family and friends, so the internet is a big deal.  gratuities must be paid regardless, so why not get that over with before the cruise.  The plus plan with Princess seems like the best value of the prepackages on mainstream cruise-lines.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, brovol said:

Wife and I are not big drinkers, but I like the idea of not having to even calculate costs while on the cruise, and just getting what you might feel like getting, without regard to costs.  She likes specialty coffee drinks, so that's a bonus too. I also need to stay in touch with work a bit, and like to be able to reach out to family and friends, so the internet is a big deal.  gratuities must be paid regardless, so why not get that over with before the cruise.  The plus plan with Princess seems like the best value of the prepackages on mainstream cruise-lines.

Enjoy it 😊

The only value my DH would get from the plus is the crew incentive.  He drinks only  water with a rare Sprite and we get the free minibar.  Yes, I know water is part of the drink package, but he will drink the tap water or can get a glass at the buffet or a bar.  If Princess allowed one person in the cabin to purchase plus without both having to, I might, although my drinks would only be sodas and chai tea.  My internet consists of occasionally a checkin with the house sitter and line to my sister to let her know we are still alive.  Plus is pretty much worthless to us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roamerfromtexas said:

If Princess allowed one person in the cabin to purchase plus without both having to,

A much discussed point, Princess used to get Kudos for not insisting that both passengers get the Beverage Package. At times DW was the only one out of four, two cabins, that did not have it and on one occasion we bought Beverage package for DW just for convenience when ordering. I am sure forcing both passengers to be Plus or Savers is part of the pricing model. I was surprised it was a s low as $40 and included Gratuities.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roamerfromtexas said:

The only value my DH would get from the plus is the crew incentive.  He drinks only  water with a rare Sprite and we get the free minibar.  Yes, I know water is part of the drink package, but he will drink the tap water or can get a glass at the buffet or a bar.  If Princess allowed one person in the cabin to purchase plus without both having to, I might, although my drinks would only be sodas and chai tea.  My internet consists of occasionally a checkin with the house sitter and line to my sister to let her know we are still alive.  Plus is pretty much worthless to us.

And this is EXACTLY the market demographic Princess was considering when they created the difference between Plus and Saver, and why I applaud their two tier pricing structure.  Not everyone will get benefit from the Plus package, and that's just fine.  It's there for those who will.

FYI to all - before booking a Saver fare direct with Princess check with a knowledgeable TA - either local or online.  TA promotional/speculative group space auto-combines with the Plus perks (in most cases) and often is lower than the saver fare.  Even if you don't use the beverage package inclusions or internet, the savings on the gratuities (crew incentive) is worth booking this way for many.  Now in some cases the TA group space may not save money vs the Saver fare, but when it does it's a nice benefit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, roamerfromtexas said:

Just in case if you're not aware, you can switch your mini bar out for a case of water. Or you can customize it whether it be a few water bottles and then like a can of sprite here and there

22 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

A much discussed point, Princess used to get Kudos for not insisting that both passengers get the Beverage Package. At times DW was the only one out of four, two cabins, that did not have it and on one occasion we bought Beverage package for DW just for convenience when ordering. I am sure forcing both passengers to be Plus or Savers is part of the pricing model. I was surprised it was a s low as $40 and included Gratuities.

This unfortunately seems to be industry-wide everywhere. I applaud princess for holding out as long as they did on it.

15 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

And this is EXACTLY the market demographic Princess was considering when they created the difference between Plus and Saver, and why I applaud their two tier pricing structure.  Not everyone will get benefit from the Plus package, and that's just fine.  It's there for those who will.

FYI to all - before booking a Saver fare direct with Princess check with a knowledgeable TA - either local or online.  TA promotional/speculative group space auto-combines with the Plus perks (in most cases) and often is lower than the saver fare.  Even if you don't use the beverage package inclusions or internet, the savings on the gratuities (crew incentive) is worth booking this way for many.  Now in some cases the TA group space may not save money vs the Saver fare, but when it does it's a nice benefit!

I personally he's a personal travel agent versus booking directly with a cruise line as I get a lot more perks. Between specialty rates and more importantly a boatload of extra onboard credit, amongst some of the perks I receive

37 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

This unfortunately seems to be industry-wide everywhere. I applaud princess for holding out as long as they did on it.

Referring to both passengers needing to be Plus or Savers. I do think it is just mathematics / pricing and to some degree preventing people gaming the system by sharing. When we re-boarded I would stop for a beer while DW returned to cabin. I would take a glass of white wine back to cabin for her. We both had the Bev Package so I was not Sharing, don't know if they could tell from my card that DW had package too. But it showed how easy it was to share.

As has been said before, the Package worked for me with four to five drinks over a day, not so for DW with 1 wine before dinner, 1 wine with dinner and maybe a drink at the show. Add specialty coffee and bottled water for her and the number got close enough for DW that we bought her the Package for convenience. Then she would try an exotic cocktail before dinner, perhaps but did not drink anymore than normal. I think this math worked for a lot of passengers and so making Package price more attractive, inducing both pax to sign up is part of the equation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Referring to both passengers needing to be Plus or Savers. I do think it is just mathematics / pricing and to some degree preventing people gaming the system by sharing. When we re-boarded I would stop for a beer while DW returned to cabin. I would take a glass of white wine back to cabin for her. We both had the Bev Package so I was not Sharing, don't know if they could tell from my card that DW had package too. But it showed how easy it was to share.

As has been said before, the Package worked for me with four to five drinks over a day, not so for DW with 1 wine before dinner, 1 wine with dinner and maybe a drink at the show. Add specialty coffee and bottled water for her and the number got close enough for DW that we bought her the Package for convenience. Then she would try an exotic cocktail before dinner, perhaps but did not drink anymore than normal. I think this math worked for a lot of passengers and so making Package price more attractive, inducing both pax to sign up is part of the equation.

Agreed

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

FYI to all - before booking a Saver fare direct with Princess check with a knowledgeable TA - either local or online.  TA promotional/speculative group space auto-combines with the Plus perks (in most cases) and often is lower than the saver fare. 

However the TA promotional/speculative group space discount also applies to savers fares and makes that rate even better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caribill said:

However the TA promotional/speculative group space discount also applies to savers fares and makes that rate even better.

Yes or does!!!!!!! It's funny I've been working with my same agent for 15 plus years with my cruises. She's so trained that she now thinks like I do when calculating the price of a cruise and what's the better deal. I love my little deal hunting travel agent for that. As we always account for all the extra discounts and onboard credit that we get through promotions or group discounts and so on. It's a beautiful thing!

I just priced a 10 day Caribbean cruise for Dec 2022. Plus fare is $500 more then one without perks. Since changes to elite benefits I will book without perks. Pay 50 percent for internet. Not booking until deposit drops. Deposit is $960 for two in a deluxe balcony now!