Price drop 1 day after booked!??

ronmar22

We booked a Neptune Suite on New Amsterdam for an August sailing on July 1.  Noticed same category suite is now being offered at a substantial amount less.   Like $359.00 per person less.  We have cruised 9 or 10 times in the past but not for 10 or so years and never before on HAL.  When I noticed this last night, I immediately attempted to reach HAL only to get the message that they are closed for holiday weekend.  Any thoughts on what I can expect when I contact them on Tuesday?  Any chance for a price adjustment?  Of course paid in full. 

I hope that I am wrong but you are within the Final Payment date period. In the past that meant that prices were locked. But worth a try to see if they will adjust the price, or compensate in another way..

2 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

We booked a Neptune Suite on New Amsterdam for an August sailing on July 1.  Noticed same category suite is now being offered at a substantial amount less.   Like $359.00 per person less.  We have cruised 9 or 10 times in the past but not for 10 or so years and never before on HAL.  When I noticed this last night, I immediately attempted to reach HAL only to get the message that they are closed for holiday weekend.  Any thoughts on what I can expect when I contact them on Tuesday?  Any chance for a price adjustment?  Of course paid in full. 

My suggestion is to take a print screen shot of the pricing you see just in case you need to prove that amount to them on Tuesday.  I don't know if that will help with HAL but in the past it's helped me to show my travel agent a low price.  

• Like 2

OP - you might be seeing the “Best Price” pricing (without perks).  I have found it tends to pop up first.

If you have the “have it all” with perks, you might want to double check the reduced pricing you saw - you’ll want to compare apples to apples.

• Like 3

Ha Ha.  OK I'm going to apologize to all you kind folks.  As I said, even though we cruised before, it's been awhile.  And, of course, it was rather late in the day when I "thought" I had seen a price drop. ( after an adult beverage or two) As kazu suggested, I did indeed see and use the "best price" pricing for what I thought was a price drop.  Thank you for all your responses and I do have egg on my face.  As I remembered from years ago, the folks on these boards will usually have good answers and , as in this case, will advise of possible mis thinking.  Thanks again all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

Ha Ha.  OK I'm going to apologize to all you kind folks.  As I said, even though we cruised before, it's been awhile.  And, of course, it was rather late in the day when I "thought" I had seen a price drop. ( after an adult beverage or two) As kazu suggested, I did indeed see and use the "best price" pricing for what I thought was a price drop.  Thank you for all your responses and I do have egg on my face.  As I remembered from years ago, the folks on these boards will usually have good answers and , as in this case, will advise of possible mis thinking.  Thanks again all.

Nobody is perfect - we all have made mistakes.   You are forgiven!  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

OP - you might be seeing the “Best Price” pricing (without perks).  I have found it tends to pop up first.

If you have the “have it all” with perks, you might want to double check the reduced pricing you saw - you’ll want to compare apples to apples.

This is exactly what happened with us with our Canada New England cruise. The new lower price was not only without the perks, but ‘Best Price’ has no cancellation options. If you cancel, they keep anything you’ve paid them. The saving is only worthwhile if you wouldn’t normally use a drink package anyway. We don’t, so our TA made the change for us.

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The saving is only worthwhile if you wouldn’t normally use a drink package anyway. We don’t, so our TA made the change for us.

I really wish that the HAL site showed the Advantage Fare.  It’s fully refundable without the perks.  It worked better for us for our Norway/British Isles cruise.  I couldn’t get the math to work on Have It All thanks to their wine by the glass choices 😉 

• Like 3

Just now, kazu said:

I really wish that the HAL site showed the Advantage Fare.  It’s fully refundable without the perks.  It worked better for us for our Norway/British Isles cruise.  I couldn’t get the math to work on Have It All thanks to their wine by the glass choices 😉 

I’m with you there! There must be an easier way, but the only way I can get Best/ Advantage/ and Have it All to all show up for comparison purposes is to do a dummy booking. Then it will show you the three options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m with you there! There must be an easier way, but the only way I can get Best/ Advantage/ and Have it All to all show up for comparison purposes is to do a dummy booking. Then it will show you the three options.

Interesting.  I couldn’t see the Advantage Fare when I did a dummy booking.  Had to call my TA/HAL to get the amount.

Thanks on that.  I’ll take a harder look next time.

10 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

How did you manage that? I'm with @kazu Couldn't see the Advantage Fare when doing a dummy booking. I tried 3 ways just now - not logged in, logged in as me and logged in as DH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

How did you manage that? I'm with @kazu Couldn't see the Advantage Fare when doing a dummy booking. I tried 3 ways just now - not logged in, logged in as me and logged in as DH.

I’ve never been able to see the advantage fare and I look at the hal site a lot.  Looking forward to the poster letting us know how it works.

I realize the OP figured out what was going on but if it were to truly happen then I would call.  The first rule of negotiations is to speak up. I spoke up about a cruise next year and they threw in a bunch of freebies.  What costs us money may be peanuts to them.   So speak up. 

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I realize the OP figured out what was going on but if it were to truly happen then I would call.  The first rule of negotiations is to speak up. I spoke up about a cruise next year and they threw in a bunch of freebies.  What costs us money may be peanuts to them.   So speak up. 

It’s a good idea to call.  That said, to get them to give you a peanut is like a million dollars to them especially lately.  What might have worked a year plus ago might not be the same now.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.  I used to think the world of pcc but I find her to be very short with me when I ask any sort of reasonable question.  

Edited by Florida_gal_50

5 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

If no adjustment, ask for OBC or FCC.  It doesn't hurt to ask.  

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s a good idea to call.  That said, to get them to give you a peanut is like a million dollars to them especially lately.  What might have worked a year plus ago might not be the same now.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.  I used to think the world of pcc but I find her to be very short with me when I ask any sort of reasonable question.  

That’s too bad.  My TA is pretty good but I have taught her a few tricks.   We always have a back up suggestion which they usually accept.   It may only be of $25 value but it takes the sting out of whatever is bothering you 

• Like 1

I only get 2 fare options on the HAL site, but if I look at one of the travel online agencies I can get all three.  Recent example, for an Ocean view, non-refundable was the least expensive, the Advantage $100 pp more, and the Have it all $380 more than the non-refundable.  Same difference (almost) in the other categories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

This is one of the most humble and gracious posts I have seen in a long time. Thank you for being transparent and vulnerable. Your example is extraordinary. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

It’s like Brigadoon. You stumble around in the mist for a while, and suddenly there it is. But once you leave, it takes a hundred years to find it again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I only get 2 fare options on the HAL site, but if I look at one of the travel online agencies I can get all three.  Recent example, for an Ocean view, non-refundable was the least expensive, the Advantage $100 pp more, and the Have it all $380 more than the non-refundable.  Same difference (almost) in the other categories.

Thanks for the tip/explanation. Will keep it in mind.