Staycation changes?

The Med

We’re due to travel on Queen Elizabeth on one of the 3 night staycations on July 23rd.

I’ve read all the information regarding face masks etc up I’m wondering if there will now be any changes after Boris's relaxing of rules after the 19th.

For example will Cunard now insist on mask wearing in public places or will this be a matter of personal discretion?

Will the breakfast buffet be reinstated or will it still be table service?

Will guests now be allowed to sit with other people at large tables for dinner?

Thanks Hattie.

The rules are due to be relaxed on the 19th July and we sail on the 23rd, so I was just curious as to whether all the staycations would now have more relaxed rules or whether Cunard would stick to their own rules. 

Yes exactly, I wasn’t expecting a definitive answer bearing in mind that Boris only announced it 16 hours ago, it was more a question for discussion, as in what might they do and what would guests prefer they do.

Personally if given a choice I’d probably wear my mask in certain areas but I’d prefer not to sit in a theatre with it on.

Also I don’t relish dressing up to the nines in a gorgeous dress, beautifully applied make up and then stick a mask on top. It rather ruins the effect.

However, I booked the cruise knowing that so I’m not complaining, it’s just that I’d prefer not to.

Also, I do absolutely love the breakfast and lunch buffet. Again, I can understand them not doing it but I will rather miss it.

Having said all that, it will be lovely to be on board again, to dress up and enjoy the cruise experience again.

14 hours ago, The Med said:

Also I don’t relish dressing up to the nines in a gorgeous dress, beautifully applied make up and then stick a mask on top. It rather ruins the effect.

Actually that's about the only advantage I can see in wearing masks - not needing to wear makeup! 

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same, and not surprising really. I am amazed they are still doing priority passport checks, as the numbers will be so great in the top 2 categories of the WC benefits. Perhaps it would be better to forgo the embarkation debacle (as it usually turns out at S’ton) and have extra free wi-fi minutes.

So much better to be safe, and let’s face it, the COVID figures are getting scarily high again!

🤞that Cunard get these staycation cruises underway, as other lines have done.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not really surprised that there is no World Club party or Senior Officers party and think under present circumstances is common sense.

With 65.000 spectators at Wembley stadium, I certainly disagree.

Aside from this:

Be creative: For example Cunard could conduct several smaller parties.

On the Queen Elizabeth 2 it was normal to have not only one big Senior Officers party but several smaller ones  hosted by individual officers at various locations. Thus they could eg. invite one smaller group of guests by the chief engineer, another by the staff captain etc., and keep them socially distanced. This could even be outside, open air.

These parties / receptions are part of Cunard being Cunard.

Keep showing your loyal customers your respect.

3 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Aside from this:

On the Queen Elizabeth 2 it was normal to have not only one big Senior Officers party but several smaller ones  hosted by individual officers at various locations. Thus they could eg. invite one smaller group of guests by the chief engineer, another by the staff captain etc., and keep them socially distanced. This could even be outside, open air.

All for a cheap glass of plonk no thanks not for me and glad they have cancelled them.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Aside from this:

Majority will accept and understand the reason why these have been cancelled temporaily and will respect them even more. Many things in life are tradition have had to change in the last 18 months due to the pandemic.

4 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Don't really understand this as, according to the email received from Cunard, you have to provide a negative test at the terminal as well as proof of vaccination. So all boarding passengers should be covid free. 

Like most vaccines, the Covid vaccine isn't a guarantee that you won't catch it it just makes it much less likely. And unfortunately, there is a lag time between exposure and a positive test result so it is possible that someone could bring Covid on board if for example they were exposed during their trip to the port. These precautions will minimise the chances of this happening though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Don't really understand this as, according to the email received from Cunard, you have to provide a negative test at the terminal as well as proof of vaccination. So all boarding passengers should be covid free. 

Even if an antigen/PCR test is negative, three days later you can test positive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wooltonhill said:

Have received e mail from Cunard re changes for staycation cruises on Queen Elizabeth. No world club party or senior officers party, and no priority disembarcation.

Priority embarcation replaced by priority passport check.

Hi from across the Pond,

We too are Diamond Level with Cunard and your staycation is sort of like the 4th of July sailing NYC/Canada we have in the USA.

We are afforded certain Diamond or WC benefits but not all. Priority Embark/Disemb we can experience but no Captain's or Senior Officers Party or WC Gatherings to name a few. We use to also attend a Wine Tasting Classes to name another benefit.

Our voyage is the last one, leaving Southampton 1st October. All passengers have to be double jabbed, UK citizens only and pass a Covid test prior to embarkation at the port.

We have just been told whilst talking to a Cunard rep that we cannot get off the ship at the Ports visited unless we are on a Cunard Excursion. This cruise is over 2 months after all restrictions in the UK have ended. Cunard stated originally they would change their policies as Covid restrictions evolved. Why then are they continuing placing this restriction? We can travel anywhere in the UK without problems, why would Cunard think keeping us on board  if we don't pay for their excursions will stop Covid from being brought on board when they will be taking bus loads of folk off the ship themselves and bringing them back too! Covid does not differentiate between those on Cunard excursions and those who want to walk around in the fresh air themselves away from a crowded  Cunard bus!

1 hour ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Our voyage is the last one, leaving Southampton 1st October. All passengers have to be double jabbed, UK citizens only and pass a Covid test prior to embarkation at the port.

We have just been told whilst talking to a Cunard rep that we cannot get off the ship at the Ports visited unless we are on a Cunard Excursion. This cruise is over 2 months after all restrictions in the UK have ended. Cunard stated originally they would change their policies as Covid restrictions evolved. Why then are they continuing placing this restriction? We can travel anywhere in the UK without problems, why would Cunard think keeping us on board  if we don't pay for their excursions will stop Covid from being brought on board when they will be taking bus loads of folk off the ship themselves and bringing them back too! Covid does not differentiate between those on Cunard excursions and those who want to walk around in the fresh air themselves away from a crowded  Cunard bus!

P&O and Princess are doing exactly the same and there is no logic to the reasoning. Princess will not let you off independently in Liverpool because of covid risk but are happy to sell you an excursion at $100 to transfer you to Cheshire Oaks Outlet Centre where you can then shop at your will mixing with more people than you would at Liverpool independently. So the only reason for them to insist on booking excursions or you cant get of the ship is money. It is so they can make loads of money and profit on the expensive excursions and there is no logic behind it. 

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

P&O and Princess are doing exactly the same and there is no logic to the reasoning. Princess will not let you off independently in Liverpool because of covid risk but are happy to sell you an excursion at $100 to transfer you to Cheshire Oaks Outlet Centre where you can then shop at your will mixing with more people than you would at Liverpool independently. So the only reason for them to insist on booking excursions or you cant get of the ship is money. It is so they can make loads of money and profit on the expensive excursions and there is no logic behind it. 

You are so right. Who would want to pay $100 to go to Cheshire Oaks! It is truly madness. I will not go on any excursion if this is the case. I have already done this cruise in 2019 on QV so have visited all towns we are stopping at, both on that cruise or whist travelling independently at other times.

As I said, who wants to sit on a bus with groups of other travelling miles to visit a particular "place of interest", when you  are far more safe taking yourself off for a walk in the fresh air, using your own judgement on risks and safety.    

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

These restrictions were part of Cunard's Sailing with Confidence protocols.

They might change again before you sail in October but nobody can be certain now as things are changing very quickly.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence

Hattie yes, they were part of the Confience portocols but I was told by the Cunar rep they are NOT changing until the end of the year. This is what Cunard's website also says about Summer Staycation voyages in the UK :   "....From uninterrupted sea days to unwind against the backdrop of ever changing scenery, to time ashore in some of the UK’s best loved cities, a British Isles voyage will give you the freedom to relax and indulge in the things you most enjoy....."   Note it states "TIME ASHORE" not time ashore on an excursion"

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Edited by SALAD MUNCHER
  • Like 1

Just for info I posed the question to Cunard on their Fb page and got this response:

"Hi there, in line with the approved health protocols all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators who will be subject to regular COVID-19 testing and ongoing guidance. Additional guest health screening may be required prior to boarding the ship after time on shore. organised excursion.
We are currently working on a new programme that will be available including options at a lower price and available to purchase via My Cunard up to eight weeks prior to departure. The new programme will ensure that we have options available for all guests to travel ashore. We are constantly monitoring guidance on this and will update guests if any changes are necessary.."

Note it says "The new programme will ensure that we have options available for all guests to travel ashore.."   It remains to be seen if their options include allowing all passengers to go ashore alone if they so wish!

We are cruising to the Canaries .. looking at local web cams right now and it’s all very relaxed with only a very small minority wearing masks.  
We would be very disappointed if these excursion restrictions remain in place.  Particularly if they don’t allow any free time.