Queuing system for lifts

silversurf

With the current 4 to a lift it would be a good idea to have some sort of system to prevent people jumping the queue. Not sure how they would do it.

I use a wheelchair which my partner pushes and in normal times we can wait a long time for a lift to become available. Then other people rush up and claim the space.  Not only us, but other slower people have this problem.

If there are only 1000 on board Iona in August it shouldn’t be a problem, but if P and O increase capacity it may become difficult.

I’m not asking for priority, just fairness and courtesy.

34 minutes ago, silversurf said:

just fairness and courtesy

The world would be a much nicer place if there was more of that around. Unfortunately I have seen exactly what you describe several times.

There may be changes to these limits by August.

Guest Snaxmuppet

I agree... queue-jumping is a real problem for lifts on cruise ships but it isn't just a problem on ships. Many people are selfish and that will not change. I am not sure how a queuing system could possibly work for lifts. It is a very dynamic space. Just put yourself into a position where your place in the queue is as obvious as possible... not always easy I know 😞 

We never use lift , except on gala nights and my wife has high heels. But now with 4 to a lift would not even think about using one and denying it to others. If they have this trouble with only partial occupancy wait till their full !

With 4 to a lift , P&O needs to put in strict rules or at least guidelines, restricting lifts to those who really can't use stairs. Big notices saying people in wheelchairs and with walking aids have priority.  

Perhaps they should have a stairs are good for you campaign .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We never use lift , except on gala nights and my wife has high heels. But now with 4 to a lift would not even think about using one and denying it to others. If they have this trouble with only partial occupancy wait till their full !

With 4 to a lift , P&O needs to put in strict rules or at least guidelines, restricting lifts to those who really can't use stairs. Big notices saying people in wheelchairs and with walking aids have priority.  

They ought to at least have a member of crew on 'lift' duty for when people come out of shows or talks etc.Some people without mobility aids will need to use the lift but as you suggest something like a 'stairs are good for you' might help a little

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Only a couple of years ago  year we were on the Ventura and would think nothing of 

romping up the stairs from the prom deck up to the Metropolis but now due to a 

heart complaint  I would need to use the lift ,same as possibly other people with other

serious conditions that are not obvious to the observer and they do not have need of 

a walking aid  or wheel chair but yet still have the need of a lift .

• Like 8

On the first sailing, with a 1000 pax, this was a complete non issue.  The only time there was a “queue” was one night midship the first 5 minutes after a theatre show.  
yes, we did organise ourselves into an unofficial courteous socially distanced queue.

I have a hidden disability, so more than 1 flight, pushing it to two, going up or down, is not possible.  The point of equality is not having to prove that my need is less or greater than anyone else’s. So I would not welcome official management of all lifts.

If it really is a problem on your sailing I would ask to speak to someone onboard. 

• Like 2

I have spoken about this issue of lift useage and behaviour previously. Unfortunately, it makes very little difference. Until people stop jumping into a lift irrespective of whether it is going up or down nothing will change. Some are unaware of the illuminated up or down direction of travel indicators. I have heard lift users joking that they are happy to ride the lift up and down until it eventually reaches the floor they want. From my experience, mamy of these lift abusers are able bodied and completely inconsiderate of those who actually need to use lifts. Often, the problem is further excacerbated by refusing to move back into the lift and congregating just inside the doorway thus preventing others from entering. I am now wondering how long it will be before the rule of 4 will be ignored by selfish people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kevboy said:

I have spoken about this issue of lift useage and behaviour previously. Unfortunately, it makes very little difference. Until people stop jumping into a lift irrespective of whether it is going up or down nothing will change. Some are unaware of the illuminated up or down direction of travel indicators. I have heard lift users joking that they are happy to ride the lift up and down until it eventually reaches the floor they want. From my experience, mamy of these lift abusers are able bodied and completely inconsiderate of those who actually need to use lifts. Often, the problem is further excacerbated by refusing to move back into the lift and congregating just inside the doorway thus preventing others from entering. I am now wondering how long it will be before the rule of 4 will be ignored by selfish people.

I wish we had a pound for every time we have got into an empty lift ,stood to the back and 

someone gets in on the next level ,stands to the front looks at the lifts panel ,see's we are 

going up to level 15 for example .They look at us and say "I want level 12" with an expectant

look on their face . Do they think we are going to press the button for them ? :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

I wish we had a pound for every time we have got into an empty lift ,stood to the back and 

someone gets in on the next level ,stands to the front looks at the lifts panel ,see's we are 

going up to level 15 for example .They look at us and say "I want level 12" with an expectant

look on their face . Do they think we are going to press the button for them ? :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

Yep, experienced that as well.  I just couldn't believe the rudeness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

They look at us and say "I want level 12" with an expectant

What do you say to them?

37 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But P&Os passenger demographic has a high percentage of lift users.

Which means  more of a reason that those of us who are easily able to walk up a few flights of stairs should do so.I rarely use the lifts on P and O unless travelling up more than 5 flights though on our last Cunard cruise there was often no one waiting at the lifts so if that was the case I would catch it up a few flights

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kalos said:

I used to do that .

So did I Kalos till that  ^"*^* dodgy lift door in Rome en route to cruise smashed my ankle/leg to bits and left in hospital for a month and using a stick. .   Its so frustrating.  Strange though, I'm not scared of lifts.

I must say that when I managed to go on Oceana everyone was so kind, I was amazed. Hopefully it will be the same on Iona.

• Like 1

Interesting that despite all this critisism aimed at inconsiderate lift users that nobody posts anything in their defence or gives an explanation for their behaviour .  C`mon you that are accused, say something.There are enough of you so some of you must be reading this. 

Perhaps one lift per bank could be allocated for people with disabilities only and operate with a card given to all disabled people when they fill in the pre-cruise P&O form. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, kevboy said:

Interesting that despite all this critisism aimed at inconsiderate lift users that nobody posts anything in their defence or gives an explanation for their behaviour .  C`mon you that are accused, say something.There are enough of you so some of you must be reading this. 

The lifts are available for all to use, or has a law been passed I don't know about. The problem is  more to do with basic good manners. or the lack of.

Avril

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Perhaps one lift per bank could be allocated for people with disabilities only and operate with a card given to all disabled people when they fill in the pre-cruise P&O form. 

Just like those blue badges that folk put in their car window to park in disabled bays. They are never abused.🤔

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The lifts are available for all to use, or has a law been passed I don't know about. The problem is  more to do with basic good manners. or the lack of.

Avril

A couple of incidents remind me that some people don't know how to work a lift. I entered the lift lobby and all the lifts were on higher decks. No problem someone had already pressed the down button so we got in the lift and I selected my lower deck. Consternation, why is the lift going down they said, we wanted to go up so pressed the down button to call a lift down, don't work like that though.

Another one was on the old ex Costa Thomson Dream. someone was stabbing the buttons and angrily cursing them for not working. Being helpful I pointed out he was actually pressing the indicator lights, got a uncomplimentary reply. Maybe it was a Costa thing  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:29 PM, Pink-belle said:

On the first sailing, with a 1000 pax, this was a complete non issue.  The only time there was a “queue” was one night midship the first 5 minutes after a theatre show.  
yes, we did organise ourselves into an unofficial courteous socially distanced queue.

I have a hidden disability, so more than 1 flight, pushing it to two, going up or down, is not possible.  The point of equality is not having to prove that my need is less or greater than anyone else’s. So I would not welcome official management of all lifts.

If it really is a problem on your sailing I would ask to speak to someone onboard. 

Myself and my wife may well have been in that queue when someone walked up to the front and was just about to step in a lift when everyone shouted "there is a queue" He shrugged his shoulders and said oh I didn't realise. Well the lady at the front gave him what for and asked did he think we were all standing there of the good of our health.

I like you Pink have a hidden disability that means even going up one flight of stairs is out the question so how would I prove this to the lift police? 

We are adults and should act like it.