Interesting change to new policies on carnivals website

AtoZgirl

Rcl is doing this also. A way to discourage unvaccinated adults it is said. 

Adventure OTS had two unvaccinated test positive and right after that rcl said the unvaccinated had to pay for insurance. Fyi the two guests were flown home from one of their ports on rcl dime in a chartered plane. Now the pax pays. Adventure is out if Nassau and pax all are tested before cruise ends. Bahamas or maybe its required to fly back to usa. Rcl ain't paying for it to fly you home if you are unvaccinated and catch covid .. carnival ain't either.

• Like 4

People should be getting some type of travel insurance anyway-IMO.  

What scares me- even if you are fully vaccinated you can still get Covid.  So if I contract Covid from a unvaxed  guest- who pays the bill?  IMO, we would all be safer if everyone is vaccinated, less chance of getting it.  If I am not mistaken HAL is requiring vaccines.  I realize there is no vaccine approved for pre 12 yr olds. so this causes additional issues.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lee Cruiser said:

What is really interesting is that it says, "Florida-Based Ships"

I wonder if there is about to be some change of policy on the vaccine requirement there.

Exactly, the wording is specific! 

13 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

What scares me- even if you are fully vaccinated you can still get Covid.  So if I contract Covid from a unvaxed  guest- who pays the bill?  IMO, we would all be safer if everyone is vaccinated, less chance of getting it.  If I am not mistaken HAL is requiring vaccines.  I realize there is no vaccine approved for pre 12 yr olds. so this causes additional issues.

You could also get covid when you get off of the ship at one of the ports, while traveling by plane to get to the cruise, etc.  There will always be a risk.

• Like 8

This certainly is strange.  They are not requiring it out of Galveston, but only out of Florida.  If they are sailing fully vaccinated as they say, then why would there be a need for this out of Florida and not Galveston?  It certainly makes it seem like changes are coming to abide by the Florida law, similar to what RCI is doing.

I am not vaccinated and booked on a cruise from Galveston in December. Do I need to purchase travel insurance?

It’s always a good idea to purchase travel insurance. However, the travel insurance requirement for unvaccinated guests only applies for sailings out of Florida which we have announced as part of our restart phase.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is doing this also. A way to discourage unvaccinated adults it is said.

The difference is RCL changed their policy of requiring the vaccine out of Florida.  Carnival was still saying it was required, so why the need for this insurance requirement unless something is about to change in Florida?

41 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The difference is RCL changed their policy of requiring the vaccine out of Florida.  Carnival was still saying it was required, so why the need for this insurance requirement unless something is about to change in Florida?

Maybe it's about to change in Texas, too?

I highly doubt Carnival changes from what they know is working. Cruise lines have to be careful right now so they don't get shut down again. I realize all the Unvax are gonna try and spin this and get excited but Carnival will stand pat at least for the next few months. 

• Like 4

I don't care how Carnival sails the Mardi Gras on August 21st, as long as it sails.  If they make extra hoops to jump through for unvaccinated people, that's fine by me.  I think it's fair that unvaccinated passengers should be required to purchase travel insurance.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Banditswife said:

If you are vaccinated and get covid from a guest, you will be fine.  You might have a sniffle.  No need to pay for anything.

Anyways, I agree with you about travel insurance.

• Like 2

If you are fully vaccinated you can still catch and spread covid (at a low rate) however the possibility is still there. The vaccination is to protect you from becoming seriously ill but not from catching it. Vaccination or not I still wear my mask everywhere and still follow the proper guidelines. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

So, to get this straight, unvaccinated children won't need the insurance?  That is kinda odd.

Exactly, and children were the majority of the exemptions. it certainly appears Carnival is about to make changes  (probably much like RCL's policies) to Florida cruises because of the Florida law.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Exactly, and children were the majority of the exemptions. it certainly appears Carnival is about to make changes  (probably much like RCL's policies) to Florida cruises because of the Florida law.

Will be interesting to see what happens.  I hope they don't make kids wear masks onboard but I bet they will.  Masks probably doesn't do anything beneficial for the kids or people around them.  We will see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tiffy0728 said:

If you are fully vaccinated you can still catch and spread covid (at a low rate) however the possibility is still there. The vaccination is to protect you from becoming seriously ill but not from catching it. Vaccination or not I still wear my mask everywhere and still follow the proper guidelines. 

You don't have to wear a mask everywhere.  I understand indoors but no reason to wear one outdoors unless you just believe it is fashionable.  Some people do it for that.   I have not worn a mask since early May - thankfully.  We got rid of them at work, over 2500 people in the building, back in early May.  Hope the masks mandates at ports will go away by the time we cruise.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, tiffy0728 said:

You are exactly right.  Vaccines are not 100% effective.  I know a family that had J&J  In January and they all contacted COVID last month.  The issue is going to be finding a travel policy with COVID coverage as I'm not sure all travel policies will offer that or exclude COVID.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Banditswife said:

If you get sick enough to require medical attention, you will pay for it unless Carnival has some kind of Covid assistance plan in place for these early sailings. Several cruise lines do, but I don’t know about Carnival. I haven’t looked into it.

32 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

So, to get this straight, unvaccinated children won't need the insurance?  That is kinda odd.

Children who are ineligible for the vaccine.

• Like 1