Interesting change to new policies on carnivals website

AtoZgirl

6 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

You are exactly right.  Vaccines are not 100% effective.  I know a family that had J&J  In January and they all contacted COVID last month.  The issue is going to be finding a travel policy with COVID coverage as I'm not sure all travel policies will offer that or exclude COVID.  Time will tell.

That doesn't mean the vaccine was not effective.  The vaccines are meant to prevent death and/or hospitalization.  To help lower the level of symptoms and slow down the spread.  Not to prevent getting Covid.  Yes, people who are vaccinated can still get COVID.  Just like folks who get the flu shot vaccine can still get the flu.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

You don't have to wear a mask everywhere.  I understand indoors but no reason to wear one outdoors unless you just believe it is fashionable.  Some people do it for that.   I have not worn a mask since early May - thankfully.  We got rid of them at work, over 2500 people in the building, back in early May.  Hope the masks mandates at ports will go away by the time we cruise.

At least 2 out of 3 of my ports require masks in public and idk about the 3rd. Not thrilled with masks at mahogany bay to shop around the port area. Very few shop keepers, and if I dont have covid there is no sense me wearing one.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

You are exactly right.  Vaccines are not 100% effective.  I know a family that had J&J  In January and they all contacted COVID last month.  The issue is going to be finding a travel policy with COVID coverage as I'm not sure all travel policies will offer that or exclude COVID.  Time will tell.

Most policies now cover Covid as any other illness. If you don’t want to buy the Carnival policy, just read carefully any policy you are considering. Make sure it does not specifically exclude Covid related expenses. You could consult a travel insurance broker who could also help you file a claim should that be necessary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

At least 2 out of 3 of my ports require masks in public and idk about the 3rd. Not thrilled with masks at mahogany bay to shop around the port area. Very few shop keepers, and if I dont have covid there is no sense me wearing one.

Remember that a lot of these ports are “developing countries” where covid vaccination rates and availability are much lower.  I definitely will get off the ship where allowed & buy the usual junk we don’t need.  Would wear a mask if required.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yeah, we would stay on the ship or just get a taxi over to the west side of the island and hang out at the resort over there.  I am not going to wear a mask outside. If that is the rule for the port, I will respect it and stay on the ship unless I find an alternative place to go at port.  Screw the masks! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Wonder why residents from NY and PR are excluded from purchasing Carnival Protection insurance ? 

Probably has to do with state laws regulating insurance in those places. PR is not a state but may be exempt for similar reason.

21 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

So is Carnival still paying for the evacuation and medical expenses of vaccinated people who test positive for Covid?  Or is that on your dime but you just aren't compelled to buy insurance for it?

I have bought cruise insurance for all 18 of my cruises...I don't think of it as optional. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah, we would stay on the ship or just get a taxi over to the west side of the island and hang out at the resort over there.  I am not going to wear a mask outside. If that is the rule for the port, I will respect it and stay on the ship unless I find an alternative place to go at port.  Screw the masks! 

I feel the same way.  I will cooperate and wear one in a taxi or shuttle, but there is just no way we are wearing masks outside in the heat.  We will just stay on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jfunk138 said:

So is Carnival still paying for the evacuation and medical expenses of vaccinated people who test positive for Covid?  Or is that on your dime but you just aren't compelled to buy insurance for it?

What's wrong with that? They did the right thing.

• Like 1

I wondered about that, too, but I can’t find anything on the website to indicate that they will provide assistance. Some cruise lines have limited plans in place.

I think vaxxed have the option to purchase travel insurance. Unvaxxed MUST have it.

1 minute ago, sailingships said:

I think vaxxed have the option to purchase travel insurance. Unvaxxed MUST have it.

Even before Covid and all the new protocols, TAs asked you to sign a waiver if you did not buy travel insurance saying that it had been offered and you had turned down the opportunity to purchase it.

• Like 1

I have an annual travel insurance plan and would never travel without coverage.  Then again, I also have a passport and fly to the port city a day early.  We love our cruises and do everything possible to minimize issues.  I think it's a good thing for unvaccinated people to be required to purchase travel insurance. Health issues and expenses that arise for a passenger during a cruise should always be the responsibility of the passenger unless the cruise line is to blame.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tiffy0728 said:

If you are fully vaccinated you can still catch and spread covid (at a low rate) however the possibility is still there. The vaccination is to protect you from becoming seriously ill but not from catching it. Vaccination or not I still wear my mask everywhere and still follow the proper guidelines. 

We have a half dozen or so people out at my company with Covid and they are all vaccinated. They are all pretty sick. I work in occ health. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

We have a half dozen or so people out at my company with Covid and they are all vaccinated. They are all pretty sick. I work in occ health. 

Well that would entail some pretty interesting odds for sure.  At the very least a data set worth looking into with having a cluster of vaccinated individuals who are unrelated working at the same company all catching COVID and all being pretty sick from it. Interesting indeed. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

Don’t most people insure their cruise anyway? I always do. 

I used to only insure when it was over a year out but now with so much up in the air i insure every one

Just now, tkportersat said:

Not buying trip insurance regardless of Covid is not the right thing.  

I long ago stopped buying travel insurance. I always have medical including evacuation, however. One time when I had insurance, and a covered reason to skip the cruise, I went on the cruise anyway and have never looked back.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I long ago stopped buying travel insurance. I always have medical including evacuation, however. One time when I had insurance, and a covered reason to skip the cruise, I went on the cruise anyway and have never looked back.

I agree the medical portion is of more importance to me given the cost of hospitalization and or repatriation.  I am covered for up to 5 million under my health care plan but i still get the Carnival vacation protection plan . Maybe a bit of overkill i know.

5 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I agree the medical portion is of more importance to me given the cost of hospitalization and or repatriation.  I am covered for up to 5 million under my health care plan but i still get the Carnival vacation protection plan . Maybe a bit of overkill i know.

The medical evacuation is most important to me.  I've heard of people having a medical evacuation and it costing a ton of money. I've never had to use my travel insurance but I like having the security.

• Like 1

This is a first purchasing travel insurance in 14 cruises. If it wasn't for the state of things I would have probably skipped it again. I did get noro on our last cruise, sickest I have ever been in my life. I ended up with a $800 bill from the medical department on the cruise.