Where to stay in Puerto Rico

coz09

Looks like Royal's port is not in the same place as Carnival port? When we went on Carnival out of San Juan we stayed right across the street from port. But if I understand correctly Royal's port is at Pan America? Where is the best places to stay close to there?

14 minutes ago, coz09 said:

Looks like Royal's port is not in the same place as Carnival port? When we went on Carnival out of San Juan we stayed right across the street from port. But if I understand correctly Royal's port is at Pan America? Where is the best places to stay close to there?

Yes, Royal is at the PanAm pier- and nothing is close enough to walk, so you may as well stay someplace nice- like the beach or Old San Juan (depending on what you would like to do).

IIRC, there are two hotels near the convention center- the Sheraton and something else.  Never stayed at either, since we would rather be someplace else.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hyatt place San Juan/city center in 2017 for our Disney cruise. I think that was the Pan Am terminal. Hotel was lovely with a very nice pool, walking distance to a chain Italian (Olive Garden, I think).  The best thing was that they gave us a room facing the port and the kids woke up to see the Disney ship at dock.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hyatt place San Juan/city center in 2017 for our Disney cruise. I think that was the Pan Am terminal. Hotel was lovely with a very nice pool, walking distance to a chain Italian (Olive Garden, I think).  The best thing was that they gave us a room facing the port and the kids woke up to see the Disney ship at dock.

We always stay at the Embassy Suites: like the extra room, manager reception, they're two blocks from the beach where they have towels, chairs & umbrellas and there is a large free-form pool. On site Outback [at least before covid] several fast food/local eateries within easy walking distance.

• Like 1

We have always stayed at the Sheraton Old Town....a great location and a quick, easy, cheap taxi to the Pan American pier. We'll be staying there again pre-cruise March 2022. Prices are a bit high right now but checking often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMIMarine said:

We always stay at the Embassy Suites: like the extra room, manager reception, they're two blocks from the beach where they have towels, chairs & umbrellas and there is a large free-form pool. On site Outback [at least before covid] several fast food/local eateries within easy walking distance.

The Outback is no longer in the hotel.  The last time we ate there, they only had probably 50% of the menu and the steak they did have was inedible.  We’ve stayed there 3 times and am trying to find a different hotel for our cruise in December.  

We found the hotels in OSJ pricey, and, since we arrived 4 nights before our cruise, opted for the Condado area. Very happy we did.

There was a local bus right in front of our hotel, which took us to OSJ for a mere 0.75$ pp. We enjoyed mingling with the locals.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-in-san-juan/best-western-plus-condado-palm-inn-suites/propertyCode.71023.html

• Like 1

I echo the suggestions to stay outside OSJ to save big bucks.  In fact, we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde, which is almost to the airport.  Lots of restaurants within walking distance, as well as several car rental agencies.  Short taxi ride from the airport and only about 15 minutes or so from the hotel to the port.  The day we explored OSJ, we caught a local bus there and back

• Like 2

We've cruised out of San Juan many times and have stayed at multiple places prior to our cruises. We also love the Embassy Suites but our favorite is the Intercontinental in Isla Verde. They have multiple restaurants on site and there are also several others within walking distance. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They have a gorgeous pool with a swim up bar.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, sellwingri said:

The Outback is no longer in the hotel.  The last time we ate there, they only had probably 50% of the menu and the steak they did have was inedible.  We’ve stayed there 3 times and am trying to find a different hotel for our cruise in December.  

Have you made a decision as to where to stay?