Are you going to be giving more & bigger tips on your upcoming cruises?

Just now, jalves said:

If we are getting more/better service, then we will tip more.

Initially I'm expecting service to be well above normal.  With reduced staff to passenger ratios I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

3 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

You got me.

Since I only sail from the U.S. and have no desire to go to Costa Rica or Croatia I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

You are missing out, they are both wonderful countries to visit, especially Croatia.

6 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Canadians have to accept the $2 bill, thete is no $1 bill anymore. Heck, the Euro smallest bill is a 5.

Same in Australia, $5 note is smallest. 

RE tipping, always an interesting thread to read 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vintage1938 said:

If 2$ bills are a problem how about?

three.jpg.90b6f12bb76c5cad31620a2609d685a3.jpg

Well, since that isn't an issue in the US.  And the Bahamas love US dollars.  I know they're 1 for 1, but US dollars are worth more to them so they love getting them.

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

It's hideous.  Buy something at a retail establishment that has run out of fives and end up with 8 dollars in coins in you pocket.

VISA and MC are your friends 

During the covid crisis I went several months never spending cash. Barely do now

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

VISA and MC are your friends 

During the covid crisis I went several months never spending cash. Barely do now

Well I'm not in Canada anymore so I shouldn't be the one complaining. It's not really a problem for me anymore.  I almost exclusively use cards for everything now but just feel weird doing  it for things like a single chocolate bar or a plane drip coffee somewhere when the total is $2 or less.  I still have a jar of loonies and twoonies from my last sojourn north of the 49th parallel.  I should have just stopped and given them to a panhandler before we left.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So is Apple and Samsung pay.

I use apple pay a lot now.  I was agravated lately though as I couldn't use Apple cash with Apple pay at a Jack in the box.  After being declined the server told that Apple cash never works and Apple pay only works with linked cards.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Well I'm not in Canada anymore so I shouldn't be the one complaining. It's not really a problem for me anymore.  I almost exclusively use cards for everything now but just feel weird doing  it for things like a single chocolate bar or a plane drip coffee somewhere when the total is $2 or less.  I still have a jar of loonies and twoonies from my last sojourn north of the 49th parallel.  I should have just stopped and given them to a panhandler before we left.

British Air collects loose change for charity. Always dump the tiny Euro coins. Keep the 1's and 2's for next trip over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I use apple pay a lot now.  I was agravated lately though as I couldn't use Apple cash with Apple pay at a Jack in the box.  After being declined the server told that Apple cash never works and Apple pay only works with linked cards.

I am so spoiled. I use apple pay with every food app or coffee shop app. Order walk in or drive up and just pick up your food or drink.  We have a Deli here that is always crowded. They partnered with Chow Now. I order, pay, walk to the front of the long line and pick up my food.  I wish Royal would come up with something like that for the buffet. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I hate both Loonies and Twoonies!  The weight in your pockets becomes unbearable!  I wish Canada had never gotten rid of the 1 and 2 dollar bills.  

Im canadian and i carry american money with me on a cruise . I hate the coins also because of the weight. I dont even carry them in my pocket back home. Credit card takes care of most purchases.

I do keep some in the car for the pan handlers if they look threatening while stopped at a light.

11 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

We plan on tipping more and spreading it around more since the people making our vacation 1) are dealing with smaller tip pools because of fewer passengers 2) they have probably suffered more with being out of their jobs for 16 months that those of us hopping on ships as soon as we can.

This is the internet, of course I will be giving huge tips when I resume cruising. 

I'll also look like Brad Pitt on my next cruise too. 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I hate both Loonies and Twoonies!  The weight in your pockets becomes unbearable!  I wish Canada had never gotten rid of the 1 and 2 dollar bills.  

The government introduced the loonies and toonies as citizen test. Only tough northerners need apply.  😉

Thank your lucky stars they didn't go with their first choices.  The $1 bill was to replaced by a small hockey puck, and the $2 bill was to be replaced by a uranium nugget from the mines in northern Saskatchewan. Talk about a really hot pocket! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

You are missing out, they are both wonderful countries to visit, especially Croatia.

Same in Australia, $5 note is smallest. 

RE tipping, always an interesting thread to read 😁

I Agree, Croatia is a lovely country to visit.

Dubrovnik especially and Split.

£5 is the smallest UK banknote.

I will do what we always do, pre pay tips and give cash tips for our free loyalty drinks and extra cash tips to any crew member who gives us excellent customer service.

Graham.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

British Air collects loose change for charity. Always dump the tiny Euro coins. Keep the 1's and 2's for next trip over.

Other British airlines also give you paper envelopes to pop any change in for charity and you hand them to the air crew when leaving the plane.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

You and my DH were the same way.

Me on the other hand, well, I paid in cash with exact currency.

Yup call me a studda bubba, with coin purse and all.  Grocery store was my main get-a-way.

Had enough #20s, $10s, $5s and $1s in my wallet and my freshly loaded up coin purse pennies and all.

I went no where else but the grocery store during senior hours.

And it might have taken a few moments, but they got they exact amount of cash.

I have used my credit card tons this year paying for the wedding to get all the  cash back. 

I even learned their is an animal out there called PAY PAL.  She is our friend.

My DD said, yup that is my mom, scared to enter the tech savy generation, but once she is there loves it.  

Take care.

18 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

You got me.

Since I only sail from the U.S. and have no desire to go to Costa Rica or Croatia I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

So if you have no desire to go to Costa Rica or Croatia What about other foreign countries??? I took a cruise just before the shutdown and one of the ports was Costa Rica.
Do you only Cruise to Alaska and Hawaii? I'm confused

• Like 2