Accomplished Check In Without Ocean Medallion No App Needed

cruzsnooze

5 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

My experience as well.

Drive-By and Hit-and-Run contractors*.

*Not all of course. . . .
Regardless, whatever style Princess' contractors are -- as well as Princess personnel and management responsible for analysis and specifications through implementation -- they certainly appear not to be doing a good job!

---

The specifications can make a big difference. Of course none of us have seen them and thus can only speculate how detailed and accurate they were.

As an example, this is where using contractors can be a problem if they are not very familiar with how dining works in the real world on a cruise ship.

Hopefully the specs did not say start allocating all people to tables for two (unless the person indicated they were part of a larger group) and when tables for two were all assigned, start allocating them to tables for four. Yet that is what the app appears to do since it does not allow you to select a table size. And of course the programming has to deal with different ships that have 2, 3 and 5 dining rooms.

I once spoke with a government contractor who did software projects. He would receive the specs, then write his interpretation of them in his bid so the evaluators could be sure he understood them. But knowing the original specs would never result in a working system, he submitted low bids. Then he built the software exactly to what was specified and of course it did not work although the software was exactly as specified. That is when he made the big $$$, charging high prices to change what the government specified into software that would actually work.

• Like 4

---

And then there's obviously the problem with Medallion Class testing.

Or rather in the case of this app, severe lack of.

How can a client like Princess allow this app to be rolled out in crippled spurts like we have been seeing for months and months? . . .  And with very basic functionality still missing?

For example, once a medallion order gets to the Check Out step, I am unable to delete a medallion from the cart. . . .

-- Oh, perhaps Cart item Delete wasn't in the specs.  😏

---

Such a cr*p app we're seeing at this stage.  Princess really should be ashamed of this product right now.

----

• Like 6

CRUZSNOOZE  Thanks for posting this.  I have taken a screen shot of your post for my file.  I have a new smart device (first time for me) and am having some success navigating the app.  However, if my cruise gets close and there are still things that I cannot do, I will certainly use this number and your information to facilitate what is left.  My cruise is not until Feb. 2022 so I have time.  Thanks very much.

• Like 1

While I get that Princess would like to have one system (the Medallion) that everyone would use, it  seems that they did not step back and look at what customers want.   

Much of their clientele is older and were quite happy with a stateroom card that allowed drinks and other items to be charged to the card, as well as opening the stateroom.   For many of us, we don't need to be able to locate travelling companions (we figured out other ways to set up meeting locations), watch a movie in our stateroom and then our tablet, and have a schedule available electronically.  This is especially true since the hassles have not been worth the supposed conveniences.

It seems that a group of staff got together and thought up a list of things that would be cool to have on the system without thinking about the experience that the majority of cruisers want, and without providing a backup system that people can use if they don't wish to use the Medallion system.

On my cruise if I see  that  a magician will be in the Explorers Lounge at 1:00 PM I want to just be able to turn up there, if I decide to, and not have to make a reservation and be held to a schedule.  That sounds too much like being in a workplace!

• Like 12

My major concern is the patter or the elimination of it. I suspect they will still have them at the guest services desk (remember the term purser) but won't be delivered nightly with turn down. Oh wait there won't be turn down! The reason I suspect they will have limited copies is because not everyone will be ocean ready like myself. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

While I get that Princess would like to have one system (the Medallion) that everyone would use, it  seems that they did not step back and look at what customers want.   

Much of their clientele is older and were quite happy with a stateroom card that allowed drinks and other items to be charged to the card, as well as opening the stateroom.  

And the Medallion can be used for exactly these same things and other things the card was used for such as getting on and off the ship.

No reason to use them for any other reason onboard unless you want to.

The problem is the requirement that an app is required pre-cruise to enter needed information for the cruise. And all these app problems have nothing to do with basic Medallion use on board.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

The problem is the requirement that an app is required pre-cruise to enter needed information for the cruise. And all these app problems have nothing to do with basic Medallion use on board.

Good point!   As you say, if we could just enter the information via computer it would be so much better.

• Like 6

On 7/14/2021 at 7:16 PM, downsmead said:

In the U.K. they do not mail the Medallion, we have to collect it at the terminal, so it will be interesting to see how it works here.

Have you been able to check on using the app? We have just gone round and round in circles, getting nowhere.

I am pretty good with technology, have a new iPhone 11 Pro and yet we cannot get the app to work. Calls to Princess in the U.K. are a huge waste of time. They just say it doesn’t work, keep trying.

We sail in less than a month and are still at square one. Can’t input passport details, can’t choose embarkation time, can’t select dining options. It’s so frustrating,

Princess UK are totally useless and can’t or won’t help at all. We also spoke to Princess in the USA but they could t help either.

Any advice for us Brits would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Princess UK are totally useless and can’t or won’t help at all. We also spoke to Princess in the USA but they could t help either.

Any advice for us Brits would be much appreciated.

You didn't speak to the right Princess USA apparently.

If you have any questions or comments, please call 1-844-525-0942. This email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.
Thank you,

On 7/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, cruzsnooze said:

Princess CruisesI was able to give them all my information and get a boarding time. . I also need to bring my vaccination proof to the port at check in. I will use the medallion as the boarding pass to get inside to check in and then go get a regular card on board at guest services  No app needed. I used this phone number 844-525-0942

Great News Karen!

Your OceanMedallion order OCEAN-00000 for your upcoming Princess MedallionClass vacation has been received.

You requested to have your order shipped to your home. Your Medallion® devices and any products you ordered will be shipped 10 to 20 days before your Princess MedallionClass vacation. Please be sure to wear your Medallion® device to your port of embarkation to allow for an expedited, contactless arrival experience.

We will send a follow up email to notify you when your order is being shipped. Please note that taxes and fees are estimates and will be finalized at the time of shipment, when you will receive your transaction receipt.

Please save your order number for future reference. We hope you enjoy your fabulous MedallionClass vacation.

Hero Banner

If you have any questions or comments, please call 1-844-525-0942. This email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.
Thank you,
Ocean Medallion Fulfillment, Ltd.
© 2021 Carnival Corporation
Privacy Statement Terms of Use

Good to know, thanks!

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

You didn't speak to the right Princess USA apparently.

Thank you,

There are numbers for other countries to call:

• United States (toll free): 1-844-525-0942
  • United Kingdom: 0344 3388 663
  • Australia (toll free): 13 24 88
  • New Zealand (toll free): 0800 780 717
  • Australia and New Zealand guests (calling internationally): +61 2 8362 4400

5 hours ago, caribill said:

In the UK call

That IS the number I called. They offer NO help whatsoever. There is no telephone support in the U.K. for Medallion app problems. That is the problem. 

No matter who you speak to their answer is yes, the app doesn’t work and we hope to have it sorted by the time you cruise (3 weeks?). They will not help you upload anything. All they will do is suggest you write an email which may not be answered for several days or even weeks.

So at the moment we have reached an impasse. I’d just like to know if any U.K. citizens have been successful doing check in via the app or have been able to find their boarding time, or choose their dining. Princess say nobody can. But is this a fob off?

It seems to be totally different in the USA.

We cannot call the USA on our mobile phone as it is very expensive, and anyway they say they can’t help unless we are US citizens. I spoke to the USA after the U.K. office had closed as it automatically went to the American site.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

Ellie1145;  maybe you could call the UK number and have them patch you through to the USA number. Someone above mentioned that the medallion tech is being done by a company under contract to Princess;  so the Princess vacation reps don't know any more than you.  I have an iphone 11 too and I've had no issues here in Cincinnati, OH.  I sail 4 Oct and as of now I am green to go.  

Edited by AF-1

cruzsnooze;  that is wonderful and encouraging news you brought  to this forum.  For those who continue to have issues with the medallion class app,  you've  made them  happy and de-stressed.  Have a perfect weekend.  Cheers

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, AF-1 said:

cruzsnooze;  that is wonderful and encouraging news you brought  to this forum.  For those who continue to have issues with the medallion class app,  you've  made them  happy and de-stressed.  Have a perfect weekend.  Cheers

Thank You

It seems this issue using the Non functional and semi functional app keeps coming up so this post needs to keep coming to the first page.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, mtnesterz said:

This caught my eye. There are port fees and taxes, as with any cruise. But does mean they tax the Medallion itself and charge a fee for mailing it? Did you buy wrist straps and such that are taxable? What are the fees mentioned?

I was not charged mailing fee as I did not purchase accessories. But there was a $10 shipping fee on my last 2 medallion cruises (2019) if I added a $6 clip. Deleted that

On 7/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Ombud said:

It is unfortunate that so many posts are pinned but IMHO this post with the helpful phone numbers should be pinned. 

I agree. There is so much confusion that could be cleared up.

Here's the Ocean Ready Medallion phone number again for those that can't read through all the posts

Thank you,
Ocean Medallion Fulfillment, Ltd.

• 2 weeks later...