NCL is Suing the State of Florida over the State's Covid Policy

donaldsc

I think they are wasting there time. Just do what other cruise lines are doing to get around the Florida law. 

They are asking the guest if they would like to show proof of vaccination. If they do not, they are considered non-vaccinated. Simple. If a person is vaccinated, why would you not want to show proof? It is not mandatory that you prove you are vaccinated, so no fine.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think they are wasting there time. Just do what other cruise lines are doing to get around the Florida law. 

They are asking the guest if they would like to show proof of vaccination. If they do not, they are considered non-vaccinated. Simple. If a person is vaccinated, why would you not want to show proof? It is not mandatory that you prove you are vaccinated, so no fine.

Except other lines are still letting unvaccinated board and NCL wants 100% vaccinated, so would have to turn people away.

• Like 5

Just now, JamieLogical said:

Except other lines are still letting unvaccinated board and NCL wants 100% vaccinated, so would have to turn people away.

It is their right to do so. It is not mandatory by the CDC. maybe indicating vaccinated will only be able to book a cruise. leave it in the TAs hands. No booking on line with the cruise line itself.

4 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

It is their right to do so. It is not mandatory by the CDC. maybe indicating vaccinated will only be able to book a cruise. leave it in the TAs hands. No booking on line with the cruise line itself.

But it's not their right to do so according to the FL law... that's the whole problem.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't see much downside for NCL in this.  If they win, great.  If they lose they still have the same options as they have now.  I suppose it would be awkward to defy the law after a court rules upholds it, but on the other hand losing in court is a justification if they have to change the 100% vaccinated policy.

• Like 1

I have a NCL cruise booked for next year and I question how ridiculous they are operating. Make in voluntary just like other cruise lines. If you fail to volunteer the information, you will be stuck with all of these extra expenses, restrictions, and ability to enjoy your vacation. Price it so high they will opt not to go. Put that little caveat in the decision that unvaxxed have to get an exemption, there is no guarantee of exemption, and denial could come as far as 24-hours prior to the cruise. 

Stop playing games and get to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

My guess is the lawsuit happened because NCL and the state of Florida could not reach a compromise.  In my opinion, NCL has gone off the rails.

• Like 4

Let's try not to get this thread locked like the previous one. Remember that debating about vaccine efficacy, vaccine mandates, COVID mitigation measures, and politics is in violation of CC's new policy. We need to stick to the topic at hand, specifically the details of the lawsuit against the state of Florida by NCL. It is good information for people to have that this lawsuit was filed and we can monitor its progress, but delving too far into personal opinion will get us locked again.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Let's try not to get this thread locked like the previous one. Remember that debating about vaccine efficacy, vaccine mandates, COVID mitigation measures, and politics is in violation of CC's new policy. We need to stick to the topic at hand, specifically the details of the lawsuit against the state of Florida by NCL. It is good information for people to have that this lawsuit was filed and we can monitor its progress, but delving too far into personal opinion will get us locked again.

Well said.  But, I suspect, in vain.

18 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It would probably be a good idea if the moderators restored the banner they had up a few weeks ago regarding their Covid discussion warning.  It was only up for a few days.   Some posters probably don't even know it existed.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

I won’t be going on a cruise anytime soon unless I can be sure that 100% of pax and crew are fully vaccinated. For the same reason I won’t be going to Florida or most other US states anytime soon. There are many safer and more attractive alternatives out there. If that’s what the governor wants, so be it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Thank you!

• Like 1

This is from the lawsuit filed by Norwegian Cruise Lines against Florida:

”7.   NCLH is duty-bound to protect the health and safety of it’s personnel and passengers, as NCHL can and will by requiring proof of vaccinations…..”

Norwegian believes that it’s duty of safety to it’s passengers overrides Florida law, and is in keeping with Federal requirements. 

In a free country, a cruise company must have the right to impose a higher public safety standard than required by Florida.  

Edited by Rblum100
Clarity of thought and to insure that it meets Cruise Critics standards.
  • Like 3

These links were kindly provided by @dswallow on the locked thread. I'm moving them here (hope he doesn' mind) Anyone interested in the case should read.....it appears to me there are a lot of CC members who are very confused about what this lawsuit is (and isn't).

Complaint:
1_051023578437_Complaint.pdf (2150.com)

Motion for Preliminary Injunction:
3_051123579830_MotionForPreliminaryInjunction.pdf (2150.com)

3-1_051123579831_AffidavitDeclarationOfFrankDelRio.pdf (2150.com)
3-2_051123579832_AffidavitDeclarationOfOlgaVieira.pdf (2150.com)
3-3_051123579833_AffidavitDeclarationOfDrJukkaLaitamaki.pdf (2150.com)
3-4_051123579834_AffidavitDeclarationOfDrStephenOstroff.pdf (2150.com)

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

One paragraph caught my attention:

"The upshot places NCLH in an impossible dilemma as it prepares to set sail from Florida: NCLH will find itself either on the wrong side of health and safety and the operative federal legal framework, or else on the wrong side of Florida law."

Florida can easily argue that other cruise lines are adhering to both the CSO and Florida Law.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

One paragraph caught my attention:

"The upshot places NCLH in an impossible dilemma as it prepares to set sail from Florida: NCLH will find itself either on the wrong side of health and safety and the operative federal legal framework, or else on the wrong side of Florida law."

Florida can easily argue that other cruise lines are adhering to both the CSO and Florida Law.

So far.. but it's still not clear if FL's law will kick in if/when anyone actually gets turned away because ships are over their 5% non-vaccinated capacity.

And it's mostly moot, because by the time this makes it to court, cruise lines will no longer be required to adhere to the CDC orders when sailing out of Florida.

Edited by JamieLogical

You choose who's more reliable: Science and the facts around the new Covid variant and vaccines, NCL and their attention to Caution to sailing on their ships, or the State of Florida with 16000 new Covid variant cases today.

Sorry Florida, I chose Science and NCl.

• Like 12