Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

2 minutes ago, Sheila W. said:

Sorry to hear about the Sky July 10 Covid predicament. If everyone aboard is fully vaccinated, I'm puzzled by this “vaccine breakthrough case” which is considered by the CDC to affect only a small percentage. Sounds like someone was not fully vaccinated. This has now put others on the ship in a precarious position, as well as those of us who have already left or are leaving tomorrow for the July 17 departure. When I talked to our travel agent, she did not know about this. She called her Viking contact who told her decisions were being made minute to minute, and that the July 17 sailing was set to go. No explanation how. So, if you are aboard, please keep posting factual updates. Thanks so much!

No...it does not mean that someone was not fully vaccinated. When the statistics show that there are a small percentage of breakthrough cases that means a small percentage of the entire universe of vaccinated persons and any vaccinated individual could fall into that category. It doesn't matter that the positive case was sailing on a ship with only a few hundred passengers when they tested positive, it just means that sometime, likely in the 14 days preceding the positive test, the individual came into contact with someone carrying the virus and contracted it. The contact could have happened anywhere that individual was in the last 14 days.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

This is sarcasm!  

It's unbelievable that Viking didn't visit every village and ask, "if one person on board tests positive for Covid, even though that person has been vaccinated, do you think passengers, wearing masks and maintaining social distancing, should be allowed to come ashore?" Moreover, why didn't the Icelandic government think to do this?

I would not be at all surprised if someone actually did ask this question, and the villagers, anxious for tourist money, said "oh, that'll be okay". Then when reality hit, they did some reconsidering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USI said:

Wow you all are really dumping on this site which you purport to have nothing to do with and oh-so disdain,  on this man, the administrator of the site, who is, from all reports, actually salt of the earth and a really nice guy. Geesh! A cult? Seriously? 

Thank you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eldercruser1 said:

And what is in store for those scheduled to board Saturday?  So far "Crickets" from Viking.

Passengers will disembark on 7/17, with their negative COVID tests in hand and head home,  the ship will be sanitized as stated in the Viking FAQs. The new passengers will board on the 17th and hopefully will experience a fantastic and uneventful cruise.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The contact could have happened anywhere that individual was in the last 14 days.

I suspect the contact likely happened at the airport/on an airplane.  The airports are very crowded, and for most flights, there is no need to be vaccinated or tested.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No...it does not mean that someone was not fully vaccinated. When the statistics show that there are a small percentage of breakthrough cases that means a small percentage of the entire universe of vaccinated persons and any vaccinated individual could fall into that category. It doesn't matter that the positive case was sailing on a ship with only a few hundred passengers when they tested positive, it just means that sometime, likely in the 14 days preceding the positive test, the individual came into contact with someone carrying the virus and contracted it. The contact could have happened anywhere that individual was in the last 14 days.

Has the possibility of a false positive been ruled out?

No matter the origin of the positive test, I'm glad that Viking and Iceland are taking what I feel are proper steps in stopping the spread of Covid. Yes, it's unnerving and disappointing and expensive, but as adults we should be able to accept disappointments with grace. Look to Clay as a shining example.

• Like 12

Just now, KarNog said:

Has the possibility of a false positive been ruled out?

No matter the origin of the positive test, I'm glad that Viking and Iceland are taking what I feel are proper steps in stopping the spread of Covid. Yes, it's unnerving and disappointing and expensive, but as adults we should be able to accept disappointments with grace. Look to Clay as a shining example.

I plan on throwing a tantrum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

Passengers will disembark on 7/17, with their negative COVID tests in hand and head home,  the ship will be sanitized as stated in the Viking FAQs. The new passengers will board on the 17th and hopefully will experience a fantastic and uneventful cruise.

I wonder if the departing cruisers can stay in Iceland at a hotel and enjoy the rest of their time there? 

3 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

That is good news, if true.  Do you have an official Icelandic and/or Viking source for that information? 

5 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

How do you know this?

6 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

And, I bet all the passengers arrive home to an envelope from Viking with a voucher and an apology letter. 

9 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

I totally agree with you !  All this bizarre speculation is doing nothing good!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eldercruser1 said:

That is good news, if true.  Do you have an official Icelandic and/or Viking source for that information? 

I follow a press person who is on this sailing. There are approximately 25 of them on board. She posted the letter from the Chairman of Viking that will be given to guests.

2 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

I follow a press person who is on this sailing. There are approximately 25 of them on board. She posted the letter from the Chairman of Viking that will be given to guests.

Well, that's just great.  Perhaps it would be nice if Viking and the Chairman could share that letter in an email to those flying out tonight and tomorrow night.  Perhaps you could suggest that to your press person

Sorry to hear that you all could not cruise as planned.  Clay has the right attitude and I want to thank him again for all his postings.  

hope you all stay healthy and have safe, hassle free flights home.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

Thank you. Would you share the name of this press person who is posting info so that the rest of us can follow their postings too, please?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

Would she like another follower?

The fact only a couple of cases have been reported is nothing short of miraculous given the number of cruisers.  It is a tribute to the cruisers and Viking. There are a lot of opportunities to get infected especially on a plane or at an airport.

The news out of Israel, which has the highest percent of vaccinated citizens, is sobering. Close to 50% of people infected with the Delta variant are vaccinated. https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-50-of-delta-variant-cases-vaccinated-severe-2021-6

I assume if Viking let’s a cruise take place they are reasonably confident of success. They have done everything within their control. Sadly, it’s the things out of their control that can mess with a cruise.

In the meantime self-quarantine and wearing a KN95 mask at the airport and on the plane is prudent. Best of luck! Thinking of you and hoping for even greater success. I’m still hoping to cruise in December!

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 1