The Daily for Thursday Jul 15, 2021

richwmn

Just now, summer slope said:

DH is at the pharmacy right now picking them up.  It doesn't itch, is just very sore.

Glad you jumped on it quickly -- as you have to do.   I had shingles and the meds worked right away.  My doc said to get the shingles vaccine even though I've had them already, because future outbreaks would be less severe, which I did do.  For me, they only appeared the one time.

I hope things go very well for you, too.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I couldn't like your post.  I'm sorry about the shingles.  Hope he gave you a prescripton for the antivirals that have helped others.  Take care.

Lenda

Prescription is for Valacyclovir. Horse pill. 3x a day. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Glad you jumped on it quickly -- as you have to do.   I had shingles and the meds worked right away.  My doc said to get the shingles vaccine even though I've had them already, because future outbreaks would be less severe, which I did do.  For me, they only appeared the one time.

I hope things go very well for you, too.

I can get the shingles vaccine in a year she said. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Hopefully caught in time. If the itch starts it will drive you insane. I had the shingles shot 5 years ago, the single dose, so when I got them in May it was milder than it could have been. I want to get the two dose shinrix but I have to wait for a year. Take it easy.

• Like 8

My cone flowers are blooming and we even have some white ones . The yellow ones are rudbeckia and some coreopsis. The cosmos in the back yard are going crazy but we have three colours, pink, white and a maroon colour.

AB23A6D4-0916-41F7-8DF5-3593C4BD99E6.jpeg

771709F5-0CAD-46B8-B550-E9B17EE8271F.jpeg

222AF44D-43FC-48CB-95CF-45A5E5C5C9C0.jpeg

• Like 27

27 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I was told the same thing.  We victims have to wait a full year to avoid it causing the shingles to come back, apparently (I’m putting this in simple terminology).  DH could give you fancy language 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Yes, we thought it was good.  I'll add that when we've been, we've had the Alaska Tour Saver Book, with coupoons that had buy one get one free entrance fees..  Lately, it doesn't see to have as many southeast Alaska coupons (Inside Passage), and we've done the ones we're interested in.  I just checked and the coupon book is on sale now for half price.  You might want to Google it and see it you could save enough on attractions to make it worthwhile.  They also have an app.

In 2015, the Rapto Center was $15/pp, which is not bad.  I don't mind paying the entrance fee, as I fully support their work in rehabilitating injured raptors and keeping or finding homes for the ones who can't survive in the wild.

The Fortress of the Bears, which was not in the coupon book the last time I looked, does the same for bears.

When the shuttle drops you off at the Ceremonial/Visitor Center there will be Tribal Shuttles that for a fee will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center.  It is a one loop ride, but you can see the bears, be picked up and then see the raptors.  The local bus is a good way to see the area, but IIRC it drops you off a ways from the Raptor Center and it's an uphill walk to the center.

We went inside St. Michael's Cathedral in 2010, and it was free.  The last time we were in Sitka in 2018, there was either an $5 fee or they wanted a donation.  Since we'd been inside, we didn't go back in, but it is worth one visit.

Lenda

Thanks Lenda.  Great information.  I wasn't aware of the Fortress of the Bears part of it.  Sounds exciting!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

It's a really nice place, and you can walk there through the park.  We have been there three times.  We've been to Fortress of the Bears once, and enjoyed it very much, but it was one and done for us.  We keep going back to see the birds.

I just looked it up on map because I didn't realize it was so close to everything, I might have gone sooner had I known that.  Sounds like a lovely walk.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I just looked it up on map because I didn't realize it was so close to everything, I might have gone sooner had I known that.  Sounds like a lovely walk.

It really is a nice walk.  Not sure about limitations there with Dear Dad, or how you're getting around, but if it is manageable, the route is delightful.  I don't think a lot of folks realize just how close it is.  There are even little stencils on the sidewalk to point you in the right direction.

Sitka is maybe my favorite Alaska port of call.  Just walking around, there's plenty there to make a great day.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

DH is at the pharmacy right now picking them up.  It doesn't itch, is just very sore.

Have you had a shingles shot?   I've heard even if you come down with it after the shot it's supposed to be less severe.  I hope you don't have a bad case.  What a shame.

Whoops I can see this has all been discussed.  Hard to keep up with our rapidly growing Daily some days.😆

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

It really is a nice walk.  Not sure about limitations there with Dear Dad, or how you're getting around, but if it is manageable, the route is delightful.  I don't think a lot of folks realize just how close it is.  There are even little stencils on the sidewalk to point you in the right direction.

Sitka is maybe my favorite Alaska port of call.  Just walking around, there's plenty there to make a great day.

It would be tuff on Dad, we'll have to take the shore excursion shuttle for sure.  If it were just me it might be doable.  

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was told the same thing.  We victims have to wait a full year to avoid it causing the shingles to come back, apparently (I’m putting this in simple terminology).  DH could give you fancy language 😉 

I've had shingles twice now 😞 .  They've never offered me the vaccine though.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I do appreciate cows. I don't think I've ever had tapioca; mainly rice pudding.

Good quote.

I like the meal and wine.

I have been to Sitka on the Ryndam in 2009.

It's sunny here today, with possible rain the next 4-5 days. The tile is being grouted today; it looks nice. The last part will be getting the kitchen painted. I normally do all my painting, but lately have some balance issues so I prefer not getting on a ladder.

Ugh, my right eye is inflamed today. I'm putting in hourly drops. If I can't clear it in 24 hours I have to call the eye doctor and my surgery might have to be postponed. I sure hope not!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list. 

Stay safe everyone.

Approaching Sitka. The Amsterdam was also there.

1885862029_0352-8_19.09Sitka.thumb.JPG.0ab4c8937b4df541fa1f610b10bcf761.JPG

1245539458_0354-HALAmsterdamanchoredatSitka.thumb.JPG.59a7661968ad8b9f98404512a6d3cc2a.JPG

St. Michael's Cathedral

0359.thumb.JPG.275ce2627bea004ae81f2a105d8dec1f.JPG

368824453_0361-InteriorofStMichaels.thumb.JPG.d6fb9321ab417213f4da8aec3c197dac.JPG

0364.thumb.JPG.af0d4fce8042a643afdfa959cedebec8.JPG

0367.thumb.JPG.18057b5e3891796a8068b25a6a29d892.JPG

Totems in the Sheldon Jackson Museum

0373.thumb.JPG.2feb6d8db6411566e38f486a7769aedf.JPG

Totem in front of the Alaska Pioneers Home

1650613955_0388-TotemSitka.thumb.JPG.5e870f1f53d0de3aa79bb3562437c334.JPG

Ships and tenders

2027036615_0414-Cruiseshipsandtenders.thumb.JPG.1021c736c78f241a3781c7e98627727c.JPG

Bear outside a store in town

1588850116_0398-Bearoutsideastore.thumb.JPG.7b7d1e4002ca7bb3abc8e76df25c4946.JPG

🤞I hope your eye inflammation clears quickly so your eye op can go ahead.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I've had shingles twice now 😞 .  They've never offered me the vaccine though.

Wow!

I’ve had it twice too.  I thought once I got it I was immune.  Apparently not. Yes, the vaccine is available - at your pharmacy or at your doctor’s.  Shingrix.  Just wait a year after your last shingles episode to get it.

I got the “lecture” to get the vaccine 😉 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

We stayed at the La Quinta Resort & Spa, which is now a Waldorf Astoria.  DH and I were talking about how just because of various events -- weddings, corporate trips, leisure travel -- we've stayed in every kind of accommodation they have there, and we have never had a bad experience.  It's just a beautiful and unique property, with all the Spanish style casitas and some 40-odd pools, and all beautifully landscaped.  The Palm Springs area has always been a nice and quick getaway for us, so we've stayed lots of different places, but La Quinta Resort is still our very favorite.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay there, but we can't always get nonstop flights during the summer and we don't necessarily want to rent a car and drive from Ontario (airport), so we'll head to the Phoenician in Scottsdale instead.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow!

I’ve had it twice too.  I thought once I got it I was immune.  Apparently not. Yes, the vaccine is available - at your pharmacy or at your doctor’s.  Shingrix.  Just wait a year after your last shingles episode to get it.

I got the “lecture” to get the vaccine 😉 

🤣 Yes, I've gotten the talk to about a number of things I keep putting off.  Always seems like people either never get it or get it repeatedly.🤔

• Like 5

Good afternoon, all! I was once a dork (probably still am, but don’t care), so the day fits. And a GOOD tapioca pudding is hard to beat on a hot day. The quote is so true of so many people! An Asian noodle bowl sounds good for tonight, but so does the lamb. There’s no reason not to have lamb with a noodle bowl, so there we are. I’ve been to Sitka twice and loved it. No pictures near to hand, though.

The cherries are all processed, the jam is made, the cherry pitter is washed and bleached and back in the crawl space for next year. Today is a take it easy day. Other than catching up on correspondence that got neglected to process fruit. Oh well.

We have finally decided to cancel our November land trip to Africa. The news on both the virus and the rioting in South Africa is very bad and getting worse. The odds of things proving enough to make travel there enjoyable or even possible four months from now are slim to none. We are still in the no penalty stage, so no loss other than disappointment.

Meanwhile, the weather here has cooled to normal perfect summer weather. We’ll take it while we can!

Happy Thursday, all, and congratulations to all those boarding a BHB later this month!

17A3B4B5-273C-4558-821D-288BEC86B8AC.thumb.jpeg.448aad1348a78b1c63d331b46bac8125.jpeg

• Like 21

After DH and DD both had shingles and suffered badly (pre-antivirals) we got the single shingles vaccine and then Shingrix.  DD and I had quite severe reactions to the second dose of Shingrix, but hopefully we're all protected now.  So sorry for those suffering, just don't pass it around this thread, please! 🙃

When Pat came back from golf this morning, he said we should go out to Butchart's for lunch, so we raced out there, and boy, was it crowded!  Everything seems to be back to the way it was, I was rather nervous.  The big parking lot was pretty full, no masks, kids racing around everywhere, people bumping into each other.   It's all very colourful, but we had a quick lunch in the coffee shop (they said the Blue Poppy won't reopen until Christmas) walked around a bit, had a gelato in the Italian Garden and came away.  

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

After DH and DD both had shingles and suffered badly (pre-antivirals) we got the single shingles vaccine and then Shingrix.  DD and I had quite severe reactions to the second dose of Shingrix, but hopefully we're all protected now.  So sorry for those suffering, just don't pass it around this thread, please! 🙃

When Pat came back from golf this morning, he said we should go out to Butchart's for lunch, so we raced out there, and boy, was it crowded!  Everything seems to be back to the way it was, I was rather nervous.  The big parking lot was pretty full, no masks, kids racing around everywhere, people bumping into each other.   It's all very colourful, but we had a quick lunch in the coffee shop (they said the Blue Poppy won't reopen until Christmas) walked around a bit, had a gelato in the Italian Garden and came away.  

Wow, Ann.

You are so far ahead of us with opening.  but most provinces are.

We have been more open than many provinces all along with salons, restaurants, etc but we are all still masked and certain protocols are in place.  We are on day 9 of no cases and the goal is to re-open completely by NB Day if not sooner.  We are on stage 2.

We will not fully re-open until at least 75% (or is it now 80%?) are fully vaccinated.  We are at 80% 1st dose and over 50% full vaccinated.  NB is really chugging on the vaccines now that we have them.

And the people are getting them 👍 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, kazu said:

😱 I wish we could send you some of our rain. A number of streets were flooded last night and the fire crews were out to pump the water.

4A1FD99F-5283-474E-925A-ED473E74F9BC.thumb.jpeg.0c5794c7e983e00f6499ea6c0281d0b1.jpeg

I feel for your poor farmers 😔. Try to stay cool and safe.

Oh my! I’d take some rain off your hands, too. We haven’t had any rain for a long time, which isn’t good for a rain forest. The big leaf maples and western red cedars are particularly stressed. The fire hazard is only at Extreme because there is no higher classification.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, atexsix said:

It would be tuff on Dad, we'll have to take the shore excursion shuttle for sure.  If it were just me it might be doable.  

Double check about the Tribal Shuttle that is at the drop off point of the shuttle from the ship.  As I mentioned, for a small fee, it will take you to see the bears, then on their next loop, pick you up and drop you off at the Raptor Center.  When you're ready, the Tribal shuttle will be back to return you to the starting point.  I can't remember if it had other stops..  It's a good option if walking is a problem for your dad, and you would rather not take a ship's tour.

Sitka is an easy DIY port.  If you just want to see the area without a tour, the city bus has three loops.  We rode a couple loops in 2018, just to see different places.  I think they had a day pass.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great day.

Lenda 

• Like 13