The Daily for Thursday Jul 15, 2021

richwmn

Today is Be a Dork Day, Cow Appreciation Day, and Tapioca Pudding Day

There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings

Meal suggestion for today - Asian Noodle Bowl

Drink of the Day - John Collins

Wine of the day - McPherson Shiraz - Australia - Red

Destination of the Day - Sitka Alaska US

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay eta today

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 7/15

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0715USA.thumb.png.d5386ff13aafb4420a06a1dee85f4138.png

0715Europe.thumb.png.d8d746b499ea1c417e9207c182eb5e4a.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I love cows, they are so pretty (and useful too).  I haven't had tapioca pudding in ages, maybe I'll make some.

Love that quote!

Not sure about the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

I've heard of a Tom Collins, but not a John Collins, looking forward to seeing that recipe too.  Hope the wine is good.

It looks like we're going to get rain soon, so I'm off to walk the dog.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I doesn’t take much for my inner dork to appear.  Cows are wonderful creatures and deserve their own day.  I love tapioca pudding but hubby not so much.  I recall that Dennis the Menace called it fish eyes in glue!  Today’s meal sounds delicious.  I have a sister who lives by today’s quote.  I can’t wait for 

pictures of today’s port as I have not been yet.  Prayers to all on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event, including cows!

• Like 24

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, not a big pudding fan although I enjoy it.  I appreciate cows and my inner dork is quite close to the surface.  I love the Billings quote.  I think I've been to Sitka twice, first with Rotterdam V in 1997 and I think again on Cruise West (RIP) in 2010.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Hoping for a proper caregiver for Sam
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Marmot@sea’s cousin close to wildfire
bennybear DD(shingles) and DSIL(Infection)

From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery July 20

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Pope Francis out of hospital
Nearing resolution on Durango Scot’s shelter improvements
Promising caregiver for an improving Sam
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Cows are very appreciated.  I learned how wonderful they were on my Uncle’s farm decades ago 😉. Love Tapioca pudding and relied it on it for a bit after my dental surgery.  I try not to be a dork.  I used to be called one in my youth 😉 

5144971B-4078-47CD-937D-1A42F902816A.jpeg.ef5e1f26514a9abddf4304c2744642d7.jpeg

I just love that quote by Billings.  It’s so true of some people.

Meal suggestion is a good one but I think we’ll save it for another day.  Never heard of a John Collins.  Will have to see how it compares to a Tom Collins.

Massive thunderstorm last night.  The lightening was so close to the house it was nearly scary.  Poor Master Marley was quite upset for a couple of hours.

Today is the deadline when HAL wanted our decision on the Eurodam cruise we can’t go on.  We still haven’t heard back from our TA’s request of over 10 days ago to transfer our bookings to another cruise.  I guess I will be bugging my poor TA again today 😔  I’ll figure it out more clearly after more coffee.

053D2C46-A8AF-4DC4-8001-4DC606B51EB1.jpeg.2c0b6a0f156e390388245b0198370853.jpeg

Garden Club participants - just a reminder:

CDDDEFE1-E29B-4CA2-BEEA-BA7B2960EE5B.thumb.jpeg.06b6e26673d9457e09b85664d30fab0e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

06858B97-E38C-4654-A230-84CA5D15373B.jpeg.e7136ae07ba83892aca438f030dd72df.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone.  

Yes, I was a dork in middle and high school.  I can be a dork any day of the week.   So, I will gladly celebrate Dork Day.  

Today's agenda isn't quite as busy as yesterday's was.   Just water fitness later this morning followed by cleaning bathrooms.  

Today's meal comes in many varieties.  Here is one courtesy of Racheal Ray:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/noodle-bowls-recipe-1940594

814969904_NoodleBowlRachealRay.jpeg.3e122bdbf2d404ba8cc1d17222d88e09.jpeg

This one looks really good:  https://iowagirleats.com/asian-noodle-bowls/

Asian-Noodle-Bowls-iowagirleats-03_srgb.thumb.jpg.44b72ca997cafbc3627af2482917ca9c.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

I visited Sitka in 2015 aboard the Westerdam.   We really enjoyed our visit, going whale watching in the morning, enjoying a great lunch, and then some shopping before returning to the ship.  

DSC01870.thumb.JPG.57dc8770294553833e9d61838a20b396.JPG

DSC01872.thumb.JPG.87e28883da1882b289241a68d0460f89.JPG

DSC01876.thumb.JPG.d75db30f25bbee13c059f2680832f584.JPG

We stopped at an island and learned about the edible stuff that gets washed up on the beach.   

DSC01911.thumb.JPG.378f27b6e5d0591824537001c8de9f3e.JPG

And, I loved the volcano!

DSC01903.thumb.JPG.2507e8e100f87e607a8d2799642a7f0c.JPG

We're supposed to go back in September.  I sure hope we go.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Nice selection of drinks and food.

My late mam was a cook supervisor on the school meals and we often got Tapioca at lunch time at school then dinner time at home.

We have never been to today's port.

We left home early and drove to Gretna outlet village.

We then drove down to Lake Derwentwater near Keswick and then we went to the Borrowdale hotel for lunch.

It is 77°F and sunny today.

Take care everyone and prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

16263490921497301842487508087056.jpg

IMG_20210715_093605.jpg

IMG_20210715_114634.jpg

IMG_20210715_120341.jpg

IMG_20210715_114422.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Well here’s to the Dorks at Hal who are removing wine stewards! Just wonder what’s next?

I do believe that only two weeks in almost two years away from my house is finally taking it’s toll! I’m sure many of you feel the same way. Phew!!

Okay I feel better now! Got that off my chest!

Thanks for the Daily and all your contributions.😁

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Nice selection of drinks and food.

My late mam was a cook supervisor on the school meals and we often got Tapioca at lunch time at school then dinner time at home.

We have never been to today's port.

We left home early and drove to Gretna outlet village.

We then drove down to Lake Derwentwater near Keswick and then we went to the Borrowdale hotel for lunch.

It is 77°F and sunny today.

Take care everyone and prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

16263490921497301842487508087056.jpg

IMG_20210715_093605.jpg

IMG_20210715_114634.jpg

IMG_20210715_120341.jpg

IMG_20210715_114422.jpg

Great photos, I want to go to lunch with you two!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning to all!  It's such a pretty morning here.  I hope all of you enjoy your day and avoid ferocious thunderstorms like @kazuhad last night.

Thank you @richwmnfor today's Daily.  Also, thanks to @rafinmdfor publishing our list today so that we may pray for those in peril and cheer our celebrants.  @bennybeardo you have an update on how your DD and DSIL are doing?

Interesting set of days today.  My favorite is Cow Appreciation Day (otherwise known as Chick-Fil-A Cow Appreciation Day).  A day when those who dress up as cows get free food at Chick-Fil-A.  I read they are not observing it again this year due to Covid.  Has anyone noticed if their local Chick-Fil-A has their dining room open yet?  I thought ours did but perhaps I'm wrong.  Tapioca is something my mother used to make when I was young but I must not have enjoyed it because I have never made it in my life!  Dork Day, well perhaps I was a dork as a teen.  I always made sure I did my homework and was prepared for tests, and never skipped school or partied like some teens did. So perhaps that qualifies as being a dork.

One of our last cruises was on Amsterdam on the 14 day Alaska cruise in September 2019.  We celebrated our actual 50th wedding anniversary date that day in Sitka.  We had a nice visit there and I would be happy to show some photos later.  I'm being called away right now.  

Later!

• Like 24

After looking at @dfish's report on the meal of the day I'm ambivalent.  For an alternative I'm going to break a bit of new ground.  On days when I've been on a HAL ship I've always picked my meal off a HAL menu.  Today's suggestion is Rack of Lamb and Carrot Cake as served on VIA Rail's Canadian on July 15, 2018:

dishes15.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I had a lovely visit with my grandson yesterday. He told me that when he returns to college in the fall he will share a suite with 5 young ladies.

Today we have a busy schedule. The OT is coming for the first time, I am having a haircut in my garage, the lady who cleans for us is coming and I have a telemedicine session with my physician. We are having some grab bars out into both our bathrooms.

We visited Sitka several years ago on a cruise. I recall a tour to see Russian dancing which we enjoyed.

July is half over already. It was 88:degrees yesterday and is supposed to go up to 90. I had planned to go to the pool, but it might be too hot and uncomfortable to breathe.

Have a good day everyone.

Carol

• Like 28

1 minute ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I had a lovely visit with my grandson yesterday. He told me that when he returns to college in the fall he will share a suite with 5 young ladies.

Today we have a busy schedule. The OT is coming for the first time, I am having a haircut in my garage, the lady who cleans for us is coming and I have a telemedicine session with my physician. We are having some grab bars out into both our bathrooms.

We visited Sitka several years ago on a cruise. I recall a tour to see Russian dancing which we enjoyed.

July is half over already. It was 88:degrees yesterday and is supposed to go up to 90. I had planned to go to the pool, but it might be too hot and uncomfortable to breathe.

Have a good day everyone.

Carol

Carol, does the new caregiver seem like a good fit?

Roy

• Like 8

Good morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

Like several others, I have not had tapioca pudding in a long time. The quote of the day is, unfortunately, quite true. Great meal suggestion.

Stay safe.

• Like 14