Canadians Looking to Sail With Princess...Check The FAQs!

ceilidh1

Supposedly the border with Mexico in San Ysidro is still closed to crossing with the exception of essential workers.  Definitely does not seem it.  There is a lot of pressure from businesses in San Diego to open the Mexican border to legal crossers.  No mention of vaccinations.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  It is the CDC, not Princess who is deciding on the definition of "Fully Vaccinated."  ( See my post at #113.  There is also a link in that post to the article about this.)  Princess is merely implementing yet another mandate being included in the CDC's CSO.  I think you may get better results asking your elected representatives to request that the U.S. Government revise its definition of Fully Vaccinated Persons.

As far as the border goes, so far, the CDC hasn't yet claimed total authority over land crossings so the CSO doesn't yet apply to people crossing the border.  It will be up to the Department of Homeland Security to regulate the border crossings.  Since the U.S. Government isn't checking for vaccination status at our border with Mexico, I would expect they won't have a vaccine requirement at our border with Canada.

Good luck!  I hope it all works out for you.

Good info thanks. Question though, if Princess is only following CDC guidance why are all the cruise lines different? RCI is doing one thing, NCL another, MSC something else. That's what gets me. Its the inconsistency of everything. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry H said:

Daniel A:There is nothing in the article about the CDC defining of Fully

Vaccinated. 

I was boiling down ""Sources have told Cruise Critic on background that the new changes are being mandated by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for voyages leaving U.S. ports of call as part of the CDC's Conditional Sail Order, though not every line has announced this policy." to its essence.  The article cites the CDC as the source for the need to change what is considered 'Fully Vaccinated" by the cruise lines.

Just watched CNN interview with AC and Dr Wen. The discussion surrounded the J&J vaccine which appears not to be efficacious against the Delta Variant. She is recommending anyone who is at risk and who got the J&J (a vector vaccine like AstraZeneca) get a mRNA booster vaccine. She feels it will significantly raise the protection. Dr Hotez earlier said the same thing. 

So mixing seems to be a good idea after all

Over to you CDC and cruiselines ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Just watched CNN interview with AC and Dr Wen. The discussion surrounded the J&J vaccine which appears not to be efficacious against the Delta Variant. She is recommending anyone who is at risk and who got the J&J (a vector vaccine like AstraZeneca) get a mRNA booster vaccine. She feels it will significantly raise the protection. Dr Hotez earlier said the same thing. 

So mixing seems to be a good idea after all

Over to you CDC and cruiselines ....

Dr Wen and Hotez are not the only ones calling for this

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

7 hours ago, XLVIII said:

Thanks for the link. I noted this from your link::

“AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.” 

A copy of my follow up email sent to Jan Swartz this morning:

Good morning Ms. Swartz

I thought I'd follow up with a little more up to date information on mixing vector vaccines and mRNA vaccines. As we would expect, the situation continues to evolve and yesterday a study from the US revealed that the J&J vaccine may not protect against the Delta variant. As a result several eminent Doctors (e.g. Dr Leana Wen, Dr Peter Hotez) are calling for those people who received the J&J to line up for an mRNA booster shot. I also read with interest this morning where Dr Vin Gupta was interviewed on CNBC and had this to say:

“AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.”

As I mentioned in my email on Monday, the only mixing of vaccines with applicable verifiable data that supports its use is Vector+mRNA.

I really hope that this latest information will help convince Princess of the need to re-examine the policy.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

A copy of my follow up email sent to Jan Swartz this morning:

Good morning Ms. Swartz

I thought I'd follow up with a little more up to date information on mixing vector vaccines and mRNA vaccines. As we would expect, the situation continues to evolve and yesterday a study from the US revealed that the J&J vaccine may not protect against the Delta variant. As a result several eminent Doctors (e.g. Dr Leana Wen, Dr Peter Hotez) are calling for those people who received the J&J to line up for an mRNA booster shot. I also read with interest this morning where Dr Vin Gupta was interviewed on CNBC and had this to say:

As I mentioned in my email on Monday, the only mixing of vaccines with applicable verifiable data that supports its use is Vector+mRNA.

I really hope that this latest information will help convince Princess of the need to re-examine the policy.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time.

That is a great note to Princess.   I think the J&J issue, if true is going to become a big issue.   I was talking to my MP yesterday and he encouraged me and anyone I know send a note to their MP.  He said the more people that express their concern, the greater the chance the government will focus time on this issue.  Here is a subset of the note that I sent.

I appreciate the time that you spent with me to discuss the situation that I am in.  Below is a summary:

On March 13, I took the initial dose of Astrazeneca(AZ) when it was first made available to Ontario residents in the 60 to 70 age range. While at the time, I would have preferred PFizer or Moderna, the recommendation was to get a shot as soon as possible.  So I opted for Astrazeneca as it was the only one available at that time for my age group.

Once the issues with blood clotting became known, Ontario, taking the advice of NACI, started administering PFizer or Moderna as second doses to Astrazeneca.   As you know, the current preference by NACI continues to be to take an mNRA vaccine over Astrazeneca as your second dose, and first doses of AZ are not being administered anymore.

Prior to last week, the cruiselines treated an individual as vaccinated, as long as they received two approved vaccines.  Late last week, they updated their vaccine protocols to reflect further restrictions to their vaccine requirements.  For example, Celebrity Cruises(subsidiary of Royal Caribbean) changed the requirement.  Their requirement now is that mixed dose of an mRNA is fine, but a combination of AZ and Pfizer is not an approved vaccine combination.   In talking to the company, they stated they are following the guidelines as laid out by the CDC.  I have had a similar discussion with Princess Cruises as well(subsidiary of Carnival Corp.)

I have a cruise that is booked for the end of September, which I will need to cancel unless something can be done.   It is disappointing that the Canadian and US government would not have worked through the approved vaccination protocols before this.   Furthermore, as you know, Canada has announced the opening of the border to the US on August 9 to vaccinated US citizens.  If the US agrees to do the same only for vaccinated Canadians, I am sure that I will not be able to go to the US, as they will use the same definition CDC provided to the cruiselines.

This issue is creating a two tier system, where the vast majority of the population will be able to travel freely and those Canadians who has a combination of AZ and Pfizer, will be restricted.   This is completely unfair as I followed the federal government(NACI) and provincial guidelines.  I am looking to the federal government to come up with a solution immediately that will put us back on the same footing with the rest of the internationally recognized vaccinated Canadians.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tert333 said:

That is a great note to Princess.   I think the J&J issue, if true is going to become a big issue.   I was talking to my MP yesterday and he encouraged me and anyone I know send a note to their MP.  He said the more people that express their concern, the greater the chance the government will focus time on this issue.  Here is a subset of the note that I sent.

I appreciate the time that you spent with me to discuss the situation that I am in.  Below is a summary:

On March 13, I took the initial dose of Astrazeneca(AZ) when it was first made available to Ontario residents in the 60 to 70 age range. While at the time, I would have preferred PFizer or Moderna, the recommendation was to get a shot as soon as possible.  So I opted for Astrazeneca as it was the only one available at that time for my age group.

Once the issues with blood clotting became known, Ontario, taking the advice of NACI, started administering PFizer or Moderna as second doses to Astrazeneca.   As you know, the current preference by NACI continues to be to take an mNRA vaccine over Astrazeneca as your second dose, and first doses of AZ are not being administered anymore.

Prior to last week, the cruiselines treated an individual as vaccinated, as long as they received two approved vaccines.  Late last week, they updated their vaccine protocols to reflect further restrictions to their vaccine requirements.  For example, Celebrity Cruises(subsidiary of Royal Caribbean) changed the requirement.  Their requirement now is that mixed dose of an mRNA is fine, but a combination of AZ and Pfizer is not an approved vaccine combination.   In talking to the company, they stated they are following the guidelines as laid out by the CDC.  I have had a similar discussion with Princess Cruises as well(subsidiary of Carnival Corp.)

I have a cruise that is booked for the end of September, which I will need to cancel unless something can be done.   It is disappointing that the Canadian and US government would not have worked through the approved vaccination protocols before this.   Furthermore, as you know, Canada has announced the opening of the border to the US on August 9 to vaccinated US citizens.  If the US agrees to do the same only for vaccinated Canadians, I am sure that I will not be able to go to the US, as they will use the same definition CDC provided to the cruiselines.

This issue is creating a two tier system, where the vast majority of the population will be able to travel freely and those Canadians who has a combination of AZ and Pfizer, will be restricted.   This is completely unfair as I followed the federal government(NACI) and provincial guidelines.  I am looking to the federal government to come up with a solution immediately that will put us back on the same footing with the rest of the internationally recognized vaccinated Canadians.  

Great note and to your point, I am seriously considering a 3rd shot (another Pfizer) the minute the talk about boosters starts up. If land travel to the US is possible then in early October I am planning on a road trip to the US (an hour away) where I'll cross, hit up a Walgreens, get a Pfizer and heading home, after a wee bit of shopping.

• Like 2

Just now, nbsjcruiser said:

Great note and to your point, I am seriously considering a 3rd shot (another Pfizer) the minute the talk about boosters starts up. If land travel to the US is possible then in early October I am planning on a road trip to the US (an hour away) where I'll cross, hit up a Walgreens, get a Pfizer and heading home, after a wee bit of shopping.

Same here.   Do you know if Walgreens will provide Canadians a vaccine?  The other issue we will need to deal with, is to get the results of the test updated back in the Canadian database.

31 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Same here.   Do you know if Walgreens will provide Canadians a vaccine?  The other issue we will need to deal with, is to get the results of the test updated back in the Canadian database.

Yes, they will give you a vaccine. It may cost but they will. 

Are you referring to the 72 hour PCR Test nonsense the government put in for travellers returning to Canada? If so, according to Blair (another dandy), you can do the test before you leave Canada (thus making it completely useless for why they claim they need it) upload it via the ArriveCan app, leave for your day trip, get the vaccine, return and go on about your life.

5 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Are you referring to the 72 hour PCR Test nonsense the government put in for travellers returning to Canada? If so, according to Blair (another dandy), you can do the test before you leave Canada (thus making it completely useless for why they claim they need it) upload it via the ArriveCan app, leave for your day trip, get the vaccine, return and go on about your life.

Thanks may have to try that once the border opens.

Great News!.  Here is the updated Vaccine requirements on Celebrity.  Mixed Doses with Astrazeneca first can now go on European cruises.  It appears the European countries understand the efficacy around the mixed dosing.  For any Princess Cruisers in Europe, lets hope they follow the same standards.  Lets hope the CDC sees the light!  🙂

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am so disappointed.......I foolishly thought as a fully vaccinated Canadian that I might be able to cruise from Seattle to Alaska, albeit my cruise date is in September........

This rollercoaster ride of emotions is very uncomfortable......

The news release states that the borders will remain closed until at least August 21st......my cruise date would be September 12th

Nothing is booked......no money is involved.......financially, no worries.........emotionally, I am not a happy cruiser

As someone who so enjoys planning and packing early for a much anticipated cruise........isnt that half the fun.......not being able to control the present outcome,  is not something I am enjoying at the moment

As a senior lady of 74, being able to express some deep dissatisfaction with the ongoing border closing, is much appreciated on a day I had hoped for a more positive outcome

Good health and kindness to all

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, seaside sally said:

I am so disappointed.......I foolishly thought as a fully vaccinated Canadian that I might be able to cruise from Seattle to Alaska, albeit my cruise date is in September........

This rollercoaster ride of emotions is very uncomfortable......

The news release states that the borders will remain closed until at least August 21st......my cruise date would be September 12th

Nothing is booked......no money is involved.......financially, no worries.........emotionally, I am not a happy cruiser

As someone who so enjoys planning and packing early for a much anticipated cruise........isnt that half the fun.......not being able to control the present outcome,  is not something I am enjoying at the moment

As a senior lady of 74, being able to express some deep dissatisfaction with the ongoing border closing, is much appreciated on a day I had hoped for a more positive outcome

Good health and kindness to all

You can fly from Canada to the US, but can not drive.  Also, I believe that you can go by rail as well.   The more difficult situation is the vaccine requirements.  I am sorry you may not be able to make the cruise.  There is a chance the US will loosen the requirements.  I encourage you to write your MP and let him know how you feel!  You can get his email on his website.

When you say you are fully vaccinated, what are your vaccines?

6 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Yes, it is a joke.  For the fully-vaccinated.  It's all about punishment - not science.

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Great News!.  Here is the updated Vaccine requirements on Celebrity.  Mixed Doses with Astrazeneca first can now go on European cruises.  It appears the European countries understand the efficacy around the mixed dosing.  For any Princess Cruisers in Europe, lets hope they follow the same standards.  Lets hope the CDC sees the light!  🙂

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Ah, but there is a catch for Canadians.  Our governments implemented a huge delay, beyond the science and any other country.  How many Canadians got their mRNA shot within 12 weeks of AZ?  Might not have been possible in many provinces if you were among the earlier vaccinations.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Ah, but there is a catch for Canadians.  Our governments implemented a huge delay, beyond the science and any other country.  How many Canadians got their mRNA shot within 12 weeks of AZ?  Might not have been possible in many provinces if you were among the earlier vaccinations.

True.  Luckily for me, it was exactly 12 weeks!

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Here in BC, everyone I know got their Pfizer/Moderna within 8 to 12 weeks following their AZ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In NS (Halifax) we were getting our 2nd dose appointments automatically booked for 105 days later (about 15 weeks).  Fortunately, when supplies improved, I was able to move up my 2nd dose to about 60 days after the 1st.  Unfortunately, I got a mix - AZ and Moderna.  I do expect the US and Canadian governments will get this sorted in the next month or so.  If not, hopefully a booster mRNA shot will take care of it. 

• Like 1