Canadians Looking to Sail With Princess...Check The FAQs!

ceilidh1

1 minute ago, dog said:

My second receipt/ proof of vaccines does not give date of first dose. Says I received 2 valid does of Pfizer. 

That's true for ours too. But do we have to provide receipt/proof for both doses? If we do, then I wonder if they would check the interval between the two doses?

Too many unknowns! I just hate to go to embarkation and be denied boarding, or allowed boarding but be treated as unvaccinated and subject to the restrictions and additional costs.

Some countries have it in an app on phone/ smart device. They show a code

canada is not there yet. I would take both of our receipts to show, as well 

just too soon to travel internationally for me. 

1 hour ago, dog said:

My second receipt/ proof of vaccines does not give date of first dose. Says I received 2 valid does of Pfizer. 

42 minutes ago, dog said:

Some countries have it in an app on phone/ smart device. They show a code

canada is not there yet. I would take both of our receipts to show, as well 

just too soon to travel internationally for me. 

Yes, I plan to have both 1st and 2nd docs since Princess mentions this in their proof of vaccine documentation.  I also plan to be able to login to the ON website and show the data as they mention that also.  I could easily take our first dose PDF and make a second from it.  I could easily alter the first shot doc and change the date to make it closer to the second shot.  I am concerned that they may want to spot-check certifications.  Perhaps they will just look it over and pass on.  I just want to be prepared to show the source if necessary.  I have not read Princess having a concern about the dosage gap.  Who knows - by the time we sail, a booster may be expected.

Here is the text from the Princess web site FAQ on proof of vaccination. You must show information for each dose which includes type of vaccine. 

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name. The proof of full vaccination must show that your final dose of vaccine was received at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the beginning of the cruise. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the proof of vaccination you produce. During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination. If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund, credit or compensation of any kind.

RCI has added their new wrinkle to the mix.

Your two mRNA vaccines must be taken between 28 and 42 days!!!

If your second Pfizer or Moderna was more than 6 weeks after the first, then you are now considered unvaccinated by RCI.

1 minute ago, Barry H said:

RCI has added their new wrinkle to the mix.

Your two mRNA vaccines must be taken between 28 and 42 days!!!

If your second Pfizer or Moderna was more than 6 weeks after the first, then you are now considered unvaccinated by RCI.

WOW!!! Canadians are getting shafted every which way! In BC, you weren't even eligible to book your second dose initially until at the 10-12 week mark. That was moved up to 7 weeks, but even then that was just to book the appointment, which sometimes wasn't available until 1-2 weeks later!

• Like 1

Our daily time on YouTube. Don a Travel agent said that Cruise Lines changed the rules on vaccination after Canada administered mixed Vaccines and extended the time between shots.

Due to this he said we should get all money paid returned. I imagine FCC would transfer to next cruise or account to use by Dec. 2022. 

England has a 24 hours to get from the airport to the cruise.

We are booked to fly in two days early and that makes us have to Quarantine for a period.

We got a Promotion on the air and cannot change air date or time. To do that we lose our Promotion and it was very good. We checked out the price of the flight and it is a lot of money to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

WOW!!! Canadians are getting shafted every which way! In BC, you weren't even eligible to book your second dose initially until at the 10-12 week mark. That was moved up to 7 weeks, but even then that was just to book the appointment, which sometimes wasn't available until 1-2 weeks later!

This really ticked me off in Ontario time between doses was 16 weeks. Then changed and mine was 11 weeks. I won’t we sailing on RCL! 

and re: mixing doses- idiots giving us this advice. I follow EU & UK news and heard som about this being a problem there, so made sure I got same vaccine for both doses. 

in news today UK not requiring quarantine for fully based US & EU.  It still require quarantine for Canadians 

19 hours ago, CCBB said:

Other than the concerns regarding mixed vaccines, has any concerns been raised regarding the interval between the 2 vaccine doses? According to the CDC, the second dose is to be administered within 4 to 6 weeks of the first dose (based on what I saw before, I may be wrong). However, in Canada, our second dose typically was beyond that timeline. Will that be deemed to be unacceptable by Princess? Do you think they will check that? 

Typically, there is confusion in this regard in some quarters. We cruise mainly on Princess and RCI so I frequent the RCI board as well. One person has reported that he was told on the phone by an agent that it didnt matter what type mRNA vaccine you received, the same or different, the second dose must have been received no later than 42 days. Their FAQ says something different, no surprise there. In short, book your cruise and take your chances.

We were looking  forward to a cruise this fall and at one point had two booked - we've cancelled them both. We'd have to be willing to lose our cruise money and the money we've paid to get there if we want to cruise this year. The cruise lines are changing rules constantly as are governments and government agencies. Look at the UK for example. For some unknown reason they've decided fully vaccinated Canadians are too dangerous to be allowed in without quarantine now. A country nearing herd immunity with less cases in the last month than the UK is now averaging a day. There are people now who were all set to cruise, airfare booked and paid for, hotels - the lot. All gone now. Imagine how that feels?

So for us, no cruise this year and likely next year as well. The cruise lines handling of this has been awful. We'll cruise again when I can be assured in writing that I wont be excluded from a cruise because of some changing policy at the cruise line level or at the government level. Until then, someone else will get my discretionary dollars.

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

Lots of negativity and cynicism here . Sounds like the typical CBC/CTV evening news . 😉

As for myself I choose to believe all will be ironed out by this Winter . 

Family will be able to travel South and we will have a great cruise at the end of February .

Positivity is good for my mental health as the negative wasn't .

Good travels to all . 🤞

I sincerely hope you have a great cruise!

Just make sure you are ok to cruise before you send them your final payment or book airfare. You'd hate to arrive at the pier (as some have this week) to find out you are considered unvaccinated. We were lucky in that we were able to cancel the cruise before final payment date. The airfare is another issue though - its non-refundable so we decided on an Airbnb to at least get some use out of it. If I have to cancel the Airbnb, so be it. Guess I'll have to swallow the airfare.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I sincerely hope you have a great cruise!

Just make sure you are ok to cruise before you send them your final payment or book airfare. You'd hate to arrive at the pier (as some have this week) to find out you are considered unvaccinated. We were lucky in that we were able to cancel the cruise before final payment date. The airfare is another issue though - its non-refundable so we decided on an Airbnb to at least get some use out of it. If I have to cancel the Airbnb, so be it. Guess I'll have to swallow the airfare.

I think you have highlighted my biggest issue with the way all of this is being handled. I have no problem with cruiselines choosing to follow whichever policies/rules they see fit to follow - that is their choice. What I DO have a problem with is the constant changing of those policies/rules. I understand that there is no guarantees with Covid and we are in an "unprecedented" time...so things are constantly evolving, BUT the way the lines are going about just quietly switching policies/rules on their websites and behind the scenes without actually announcing these changes is just wrong. Potential guests shouldn't have to be checking daily to see if they are still eligible to cruise - and I can bet the majority of people already booked likely have no idea about some of the new rules. So they book under the set of rules that allows them to sail, show up at the ship, and find they are no longer eligible? That's just wrong. Like you, I have cancelled all my sailings this year (well, I still have one on deposit with NCL late December that MIGHT be ok - final payment not until October, so we will see...). It's just not worth the hassle trying to keep up with the changes...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Lots of negativity and cynicism here . Sounds like the typical CBC/CTV evening news . 😉

As for myself I choose to believe all will be ironed out by this Winter . 

Family will be able to travel South and we will have a great cruise at the end of February .

Positivity is good for my mental health as the negative wasn't .

Good travels to all . 🤞

please come back and let us know how that goes for you. 

hopefully the current Advisories will be lifted for non essential travel & cruises. 

We just came across this information and are curious if this will affect the Regal and Sky November TAs through Funchal.

"

With specific exceptions, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

It appears that if the ship stops in Funchal it will be within the 14 day limit and non-US citizens would not be permitted in the US. 

Any other info.  We can only hope this will change by Nov.

7 minutes ago, louden said:

We just came across this information and are curious if this will affect the Regal and Sky November TAs through Funchal.

"

With specific exceptions, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

It appears that if the ship stops in Funchal it will be within the 14 day limit and non-US citizens would not be permitted in the US. 

Any other info.  We can only hope this will change by Nov.

My opinion (fwiw) is that many of us (myself included) have been trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. We went round and round for days trying to figure out how to get a cruise in.

Maybe we can change lines? Hmmmm, RCI is up in the air, might be able to get on, might not be able to and if we do might have to take 2 tests that will add $600 to the cruise. NCL is a no-go. Princess, we're ok one day, no good the next  might be ok in a month.

Maybe they'll change rules to be more flexible? Nope - rules are getting worse

Maybe MSC with their flexible "anyone can cruise" is an option? Naw, dont want to be on board with a couple thousand people who haven't been vaccinated

Maybe CDC will relax their stance on vaccines? Good luck with that.

We suddenly realized last week that we were working our tails off just to get a cruise line to take our money. As soon as we came to that realization, both of us looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said, "fine - dont want my money, I wont force you to take it". We've been much more relaxed since. 

So my suggestion is take a step back and ask yourself if (like us) you're trying to get something that just might not be possible and what guarantees do you have that you're not going to do all that work only to have it blow up in your face last minute? 

• Like 3

On 7/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, ceilidh1 said:

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, but I just found it out yesterday and thought it important for other Canadians who may not know!

If you received a mixed dose for your vaccination, please be sure to check the FAQs on Princess to see if you are considered fully vaccinated. I was about to book a summer sailing to Alaska for a client and am so glad I read every piece of fine print. Princess are not accepting those with Astra Zeneca followed by Moderna/Pfizer. This could potentially impact MANY Canadians who were "urged" to accept whatever vaccine was offered. (On further investigation, I have found that NCL and Carnival also have similar restrictions).

Sorry if this is old news...I hadn't heard/seen it before yesterday!

do you have Canadians booked on current Alaska cruises? Any problems for them if vax Ed with 2 of the same doses? Flying to US?

4 minutes ago, dog said:

do you have Canadians booked on current Alaska cruises? Any problems for them if vax Ed with 2 of the same doses? Flying to US?

Thankfully, no! I had a couple that were ready to put down money on a Princess Alaska cruise for August. So happy I checked the requirements as they are double vaxxed, but first dose was AZ!!! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Any Canadians on here with a first shot AZ get 2 shots of mRNA?

Do you mean a first dose of AZ followed by a second then a third dose of mRNA?  I don’t think we can get a third vaccine yet here in Ontario, although I’ve heard this will be available in Quebec for international travel.  Not sure I want to.  We don’t cruise til 2022, May and October, so hoping we’ll be accepted with our AZ and  Moderna.  So frustrating when we all just did what our government told us to do.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Do you mean a first dose of AZ followed by a second then a third dose of mRNA?  I don’t think we can get a third vaccine yet here in Ontario, although I’ve heard this will be available in Quebec for international travel.  Not sure I want to.  We don’t cruise til 2022, May and October, so hoping we’ll be accepted with our AZ and  Moderna.  So frustrating when we all just did what our government told us to do.

Yes AZ followed by 2 mRNA. Was just curious with people are doing. I consulted my doctor about this. I had the AZ back in April and Pfizer in June. He had no concern if I decide to do it. Just mulling over my options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Yes AZ followed by 2 mRNA. Was just curious with people are doing. I consulted my doctor about this. I had the AZ back in April and Pfizer in June. He had no concern if I decide to do it. Just mulling over my options.

If you go ahead with it, you may want to talk to your local health authority in regards to how it can get updated back into your provincial database.   In Ontario, the regional health representative was  a little unsure how to do it,as the covax system is based on two vaccines.  They said to check with my doctor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

If you go ahead with it, you may want to talk to your local health authority in regards to how it can get updated back into your provincial database.   In Ontario, the regional health representative was  a little unsure how to do it,as the covax system is based on two vaccines.  They said to check with my doctor. 

I hope the ON government doesn't hire the same firm as Princess to update the vaccination system.

This is a good point though.  Get the third shot and then where's the proof?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I hope the ON government doesn't hire the same firm as Princess to update the vaccination system.

This is a good point though.  Get the third shot and then where's the proof?

Here you register with your medicare number if you wish to do so. It then gets sent back to the health dept. If you choose not to use your medicare # (as long as you are a Canadian resident you can get a vaccine) you always have the paper documentation. There will be many people using paper documentation as proof of vaccine - think of older people who dont or cant or wont use a cell phone with QR codes etc. There's going to be plenty of those folks relying on paper or a card.

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Here you register with your medicare number if you wish to do so. It then gets sent back to the health dept. If you choose not to use your medicare # (as long as you are a Canadian resident you can get a vaccine) you always have the paper documentation. There will be many people using paper documentation as proof of vaccine - think of older people who dont or cant or wont use a cell phone with QR codes etc. There's going to be plenty of those folks relying on paper or a card.

That is the best information that I have received on this board in months!

I am heading down to the maritimes in September and that could be my plan B.  We do not have that option in Ontario. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tert333 said:

That is the best information that I have received on this board in months!

I am heading down to the maritimes in September and that could be my plan B.  We do not have that option in Ontario. 

What option we you mean that we don't have in Ontario?