My take on staycation cruising with covid restrictions

Guest Snaxmuppet

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The risk is 10 times higher of catching it. Obviously a big worry in your circumstances, but for many, Covid will be a minor illness, so a risk they are prepared to take to regain some semblance of normality.

I have very carefully left my own position and that of the other million or so similarly affected people out of these posts in the interests of objectivity.  The increased risks are exactly as I said they were, but as you say each person will assess their own position and act accordingly.  Long Covid is however a very real risk for younger people. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I still dont agree with his 10 times higher figure, there are areas of the country where the infection rate is very low, and I would argue that a cruise ship with the current testing regime and requirement for full vaccination is more like those areas than the 10 times average he suggests.

My 10 times figure is the national figure, John. It's factual, but within the UK there are major variances.  Cruise passengers come from across the UK.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

My 10 times figure is the national figure, John. It's factual, but within the UK there are major variances.  Cruise passengers come from across the UK.

Harry, you cant argue they are giant petri dishes one day because everyone is in one place, then bring in an argument about major variances because of the different places all the passengers come from.

Anyway I am happy that with the current protocols a cruise ship is a far safer experience than most indoor venues in any UK or Mediterranean holiday resort.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, you cant argue they are giant petri dishes one day because everyone is in one place, then bring in an argument about major variances because of the different places all the passengers come from.

Anyway I am happy that with the current protocols a cruise ship is a far safer experience than most indoor venues in any UK or Mediterranean holiday resort.

We have 2 staycation cruises booked and will probably book one in Iona come Thursday. With the 2 caravan holidays this year things look a bit better travelwise. We will still be a little cautious, but have faith in the vaccine. Abroad can wait til later in the year.

The risk of a double vaccinated person chacting it is one quarter of the un vaccinated,  so less than one quarter of national rate if about half are double jabbed then it will be one eigth, if the national rate has gone up by a factor or 10 so has the risk for vaccinated. 

Given one in a hundred minimum have it nationally  . So  amongst a 1000 vaccinated passengers there will be one or two with covid. Lateral flow test will catch some but not all. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

The risk of a double vaccinated person chacting it is one quarter of the un vaccinated,  so less than one quarter of national rate if about half are double jabbed then it will be one eigth, if the national rate has gone up by a factor or 10 so has the risk for vaccinated. 

Given one in a hundred minimum have it nationally  . So  amongst a 1000 vaccinated passengers there will be one or two with covid. Lateral flow test will catch some but not all. 

We actually have proof that your theory is correct.   🙂

I unfortunately/fortunately tested positive at the port on the 15th July and was denied boarding. However it was also reported that on the same cruse someone tested positive on the ship and had to be isolated.

I did think at the time that it was incredibly unlikely that I was the only one out of about 1800 people passing through the terminal that day that was positive. 

Edited by Bobblehat71

1 hour ago, debsjc said:

We are on the Britannia 8th Aug, does anyone know if P&O are increasing capacity by then? I was hoping it would only be a max of half full

I haven't seen any dramatic price reductions indicating that they are trying to fill the ship. 

My guess is that they have manned the ship for a certain number  of  pax, and won't go over that number.

10 hours ago, debsjc said:

We are on the Britannia 8th Aug, does anyone know if P&O are increasing capacity by then? I was hoping it would only be a max of half full

From what I heard it's 50% capacity for all the staycations

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I hope it stays like that...... from 2000 on Oceana (last cruise) to over 5000 on Iona that could be a  bit of a shock!

Not sure how much inside space Iona actually has, 5000 in poor weather could get pretty crowded at costa coffee😂

Where is costa coffee? it is not on the deck plan. Just so I can avoid it. Most unattentive staff in any coffee bar I have visited. I put it down to them not wanting to be there because they do not get a share of the 'auto tips' added to the prices in the bars.

Also passengers using Costa as a lounge and making a coffee last an hour or two 😠

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Where is costa coffee? it is not on the deck plan. Just so I can avoid it. Most unattentive staff in any coffee bar I have visited. I put it down to them not wanting to be there because they do not get a share of the 'auto tips' added to the prices in the bars.

Also passengers using Costa as a lounge and making a coffee last an hour or two 😠

Costa Coffee is served in Vistas Cafe Bar apparently 

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/iona/dining

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Judging by some of the vlogs I've seen of Britannia, the Costa isn't even barista coffee, it's from a machine!

Guest Snaxmuppet
15 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Judging by some of the vlogs I've seen of Britannia, the Costa isn't even barista coffee, it's from a machine!

All of the Costa Express locations us a machine and it is every bit as good IMO as barista coffee. In fact, in some ways it is better as it is very consistent. I had several Costa coffees (latte and americano) and they were definitely costa and delicious!

1 minute ago, Snaxmuppet said:

All of the Costa Express locations us a machine and it is every bit as good IMO as barista coffee. In fact, in some ways it is better as it is very consistent. I had several Costa coffees (latte and americano) and they were definitely costa and delicious!

The machines used at Java aren't the Costa Express machines though, they are standard cafe machines just using instant Costa coffee! Travesty XD 

As I understand it Britannia will be sailing with up to 2000 passengers from tomorrow.

Don't take that as gospel, I live in the area and know several people who work at the docks but I realise things can be exaggerated as rumours pass around!

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

The machines used at Java aren't the Costa Express machines though, they are standard cafe machines just using instant Costa coffee! Travesty XD 

Fair enough... in that case it is still just like costa IMO 🙂 

On 7/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, davecttr said:

Ok, so it might end up with turning up at the local council HQ and saying what's your advice then as I don't fancy the £5000 fine for travelling by public transport all the way home. Or just leap on a train, actually 2 trains and 3 taxis and don't tell anyone!

Apologies for being rude, Very stressed out at present.

You could always take a lateral flow test before you leave home for your cruise. You would then know you would be safe to travel before arriving at the cruise terminal. 

1 hour ago, MrandMrsBeee said:

You could always take a lateral flow test before you leave home for your cruise. You would then know you would be safe to travel before arriving at the cruise terminal. 

Not sure how that would pan out for insurance purposes - better to be denied boarding as a result of an "official" test, rather than a DIY test.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:34 PM, debsjc said:

We get off today, well once we have finished breakfast. Britannia had 1800 passengers on this cruise. 50%. I believe that some sort of announcement is imminent, but 50% is a good number for us, but probably not for P&O.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We get off today, well once we have finished breakfast. Britannia had 1800 passengers on this cruise. 50%. I believe that some sort of announcement is imminent, but 50% is a good number for us, but probably not for P&O.

We are off and already home, official PAX on board as stated to VTS was 1753 passengers.  Youtube of the sailaway - 

• Like 1

My plan  before going on any holiday whether a flight or cruise, which needs a pre boarding test ,is to isolate as much as we can for 1 to 2 weeks before holiday. This is what we will do for September holiday

Much harder of course for those who are not retired .

• Like 1

Just wondering how we would find a staycation cruise. Love sea days. Love cruising close to land (bins to see landmarks etc.) Not too bothered about using the buffet but like deck quoits, shuffleboard, table tennis, short tennis etc. & the pool. In the evening we quite like the shows and syndicate quiz. Generally go ballroom dancing ( prefer a band rather than recorded music.) Don’t think we’ve ever watched a film in our cabin (oops, stateroom.) 

Will we find many of our chosen activities still on?