European cruise tips

Gunther1

When on a European cruise, if leaving a tip for room service, delivered meals, etc, any idea if a crew member would prefer it on Euros, US dollars, or no preference ?

Before anybody asks, yes, we also gladly pay the daily service charge :).

Thanks in advance !!

I use whatever currency I have available.  I try to get rid of my foreign currency so I would probably give them euros and save the dollars for my trip home.  I've never asked their preference.  They seem to appreciate both.

• Like 1

I usually use US dollars, but I have also used Euros if I know the ship will remain in European waters after I disembark.  That way, the crew can use those for incidentals as they wish when they have shore leave.  

Over the years I have become friends with several bartenders, a couple of whom I keep up with on FB. When I asked, they were all happy to receive tips in whatever currency they are handed.

1. Quite often they are staying in the area and will be able to use them directly.

2. If they are not staying in the area, there is a good chance they will return.

3. They have an onboard bank that will accept deposits in any currency, but maybe not the best exchange rate.

4. If necessary, they can exchange the currency when they get home.

• Like 2

I use both U.S.$ and euros.

Keep in mind that euros are not available in small bills - the smallest denomination is 5 euros so depending on the amount of the tip, you may need some small bill to make it work to the amount you want to give. Coins can’t be exchanged, bills can 😉 

There’s nothing wrong with giving both.  

The crew are grateful for any additional tips on top of their crew incentive.

When I leave tips in other currencies I use whatever I have, then add additional US$ if needed to make sure they get what I expect.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Keep in mind that euros are not available in small bills - the smallest denomination is 5 euros so depending on the amount of the tip, you may need some small bill to make it work to the amount you want to give.

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I usually use US dollars, but I have also used Euros if I know the ship will remain in European waters after I disembark.  That way, the crew can use those for incidentals as they wish when they have shore leave.  

This is my ideal as well.  Sometimes it comes down to currency on hand, though.  

7 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Dollars always work ...

The US dollar is the onboard currency for guests is Europe, I would assume it is the onboard currency for the crew and that tips in US dollars would be the easiest for them to deal with.  I am sure the crew would accept Zimbabwean dollars or Argentine pesos with a smile.

I would tip in US dollars on Holland America, pounds on P&O, euro on MSC.