Transatlantic eastbound, starboard or port?

I have gone through all of the posts on this particular board.   I see that starboard might give more afternoon sunshine.  Sunset is better seen from Port.   But I’ve not found where anyone has commented on views once you hit land in Europe? 

we are booked from Ft Lauderdale to Rome April 20- May 2.   This will be our first transatlantic.   I am guessing that will be a fairly southern Route.   Will it be fairly warm or cool?   So anxious to start cruising again….

thanks!   
Caren

1 hour ago, Sandcastle11 said:

I have gone through all of the posts on this particular board.   I see that starboard might give more afternoon sunshine.  Sunset is better seen from Port.   But I’ve not found where anyone has commented on views once you hit land in Europe? 

we are booked from Ft Lauderdale to Rome April 20- May 2.   This will be our first transatlantic.   I am guessing that will be a fairly southern Route.   Will it be fairly warm or cool?   So anxious to start cruising again….

thanks!   
Caren

Starboard will catch the afternoon sun.  You will be taking the southern route and will be in fairly mild temperatures…high 60’s to low 70’s and a bit warmer in the Mediterranean.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Definitely Starboard.  Love the longer days too when you get to put your watch back.

If you were referencing the previous post regarding port or stbd, they are cruising from San Juan to Lisbon. When heading Eastbound you are going from Z-5 to Z (GMT), so the clox must go forward.

Therefore, E'bd has the 23 hr days and W'bd has 25 hr days.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:45 PM, Sandcastle11 said:

thanks!   
Caren

We sailed eastbound from Port Everglades (Florida) to Southampton, UK and the majority of CC members suggested a starboard cabin and they were right!  We had sunshine lots longer than our friends in a port side cabin. (We are booked on the new Rotterdam on April 17, 2022 eastbound from Port Everglades to Amsterdam and cannot wait!). You will love your TA!!!!  We were totally spoiled with the leisurely days st sea.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

We are doing a TA as part  of a longer cruise - the TA is via FL - Bermuda and Maderia to Cadiz. In August.  Can I assume the weather at sea will be similar to the temps I'm seeing in both Bermuda and Maderia that time of year: 20/26C in Madeira and Bermuda (26/30C ) . I'm hoping that I don't need to pack anything warmer than a light  jacket for the entire trip 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are also booked on the April 17 2022 TA on the Rotterdam, Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam. Following the helpful advice of others here, we booked an aft starboard cabin to catch more sunshine and less wind. 

now debating what an aft-facing cabin would be like. We normally love these cabins for the extended balcony and wake view. Any thoughts?

On 1/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, waiting2retire said:

We are also booked on the April 17 2022 TA on the Rotterdam, Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam. Following the helpful advice of others here, we booked an aft starboard cabin to catch more sunshine and less wind. 

now debating what an aft-facing cabin would be like. We normally love these cabins for the extended balcony and wake view. Any thoughts?

We just had our first aft-facing cabin on our Allure of the Seas in October and loved it for both of those reasons. The only real drawbacks I've read is on a few ships the smokestack exhaust can be noticeable depending on wind, and the ends of the ship have more noticeable motion in rough seas. We're pretty immune to motion sickness so if I couldn't find anyone complaining about the smoke issue I wouldn't hesitate to book another aft-facing cabin.

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

We just had our first aft-facing cabin on our Allure of the Seas in October and loved it for both of those reasons. The only real drawbacks I've read is on a few ships the smokestack exhaust can be noticeable depending on wind, and the ends of the ship have more noticeable motion in rough seas. We're pretty immune to motion sickness so if I couldn't find anyone complaining about the smoke issue I wouldn't hesitate to book another aft-facing cabin.

Was that on a transatlantic cruise?  If so, I am guessing it was an east to west given the time of year.  Just wondering about wind/sun conditions on an aft-facing Spring west-east transatlantic. 

No, the person complaining about smoke in their aft balcony was on a princess cruise in Alaska. I think it's a fairly rare problem because in all my years of perusing various cruise forums and conversations I've only seen people complain a couple times. Just mentioning it as one (unlikely) drawback for aft-facing rooms/balconies.