Jervis bay

38 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Jervis bay as a cruise stop?

Green patch and honeymoon bay are nice but what else?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/jervis-bay-considered-as-a-cruise-destination/100313534

Not much in the Shoalhaven for pax on shorex.   Huskisson is nice but not big enough for 2000 pax.  Nowra is a dump IMO. 

From Jervis Bay, the shore excursions could be to the historical town of Berry or Kangaroo Valley. I agree regarding Huskisson. There is a nice golf course at Vencentia. Also the whale watching cruise from Huskisson. These are just some suggestions of what may be offered from Jervis Bay.

Dolphin and wale watching would be a goer.

I’ve done some good dives off point perpendicular.

Green patch would have to be the top spot in Jervis bay.

Actually they should build a wharf where the atomic reactor was supposed to go and move some of Garden Island there.

Then we could have our second cruise terminal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Dolphin and wale watching would be a goer.

I’ve done some good dives off point perpendicular.

Green patch would have to be the top spot in Jervis bay.

Actually they should build a wharf where the atomic reactor was supposed to go and move some of Garden Island there.

Then we could have our second cruise terminal.

It would be our third, do not forget the magnificent Botany Cruise Terminal, soon to be constructed, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It would be our third, do not forget the magnificent Botany Cruise Terminal, soon to be constructed, lol.

We are going to have to do something uncle Les,

The congestion is sydney harbour lately is getting to a breaking point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We are going to have to do something uncle Les,

The congestion is sydney harbour lately is getting to a breaking point.

Where is Rod? He can solve it, Garden Island perhaps, the 4th terminal? We do not need the R.A.N and their few ships there, shift them to Jervis Bay or Lake Burley Griffin, lol.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Where is Rod? He can solve it, Garden Island perhaps, the 4th terminal? We do not need the R.A.N and their few ships there, shift them to Jervis Bay or Lake Burley Griffin, lol.

Rod’s probably under some rock somewhere.

Garden island just built a new wharf ,I believe to accommodate aircraft carriers better.

So I don’t think they plan to move in a hurry.

78053473-0DB1-4629-99E3-A1FEA264A3D6.thumb.jpeg.cd7b0c5aee8ff6cec9e8b724ba74ccd1.jpeg

• Haha 1

The

16 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That was generous considering we don't have any aircraft carriers.

The pomies  ,frogs and the yanks do .

And  it would add value if they sell it to the Chinese.  LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That was generous considering we don't have any aircraft carriers.

Correct, like RNZAF has no fighter aircraft and just 3 destroyers in their navy.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

By the way Lake Burley Griffin could be out... due to the seaplane they want to land there....

and then there's all the little Yachts  ( no supers ones with the rich people )

A canal is to be dug from Batemans Bay to Canberra, loads of locks to get over the Clyde Mountain. Bigger than Panama, lol.

I wonder if the new wharf at Garden island could be used for cruise ships?

It is in the public area of Garden island.

They could check in at circular quay or white elephant and be ferried to Garden island.

78053473-0DB1-4629-99E3-A1FEA264A3D6.thumb.jpeg.cd7b0c5aee8ff6cec9e8b724ba74ccd1.jpeg

Edited by Chiliburn

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If it's big enough for an aircraft carrier it's probably big enough for some cruise ships.

Check-ins in marquees?

From what I understand the main wharf was extended and another one was added off to a angle .

Its a possibility, certainly better than Athol bouy  .

We can forget about anything else as our governments will be broke 

There was a interview on ABC radio about Jervis Bay port calls.

They interviewed the mayor and apparently it’s NSW port authority is doing the push for it.

There will be a cap of 1,000. passengers .

The ships will anchor and tenders will go to Huskisson 

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There was a interview on ABC radio about Jervis Bay port calls.

They interviewed the mayor and apparently it’s NSW port authority is doing the push for it.

There will be a cap of 1,000. passengers .

The ships will anchor and tenders will go to Huskisson 

These days very few cruise ships with 1,000 pax capacity. So the larger ships will have to sail into Jervis Bay with half or third capacity to meet the 1,000 cap. Not cost effective at all.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

These days very few cruise ships with 1,000 pax capacity. So the larger ships will have to sail into Jervis Bay with half or third capacity to meet the 1,000 cap. Not cost effective at all.

It would probably only be used by the smaller luxury lines, although restart cruises with limited capacity might also consider it. It would be another domestic port. It's beautiful there, we spent a week there in 2009. Walked along the beaches, went kayaking up the river, did a dolphin cruise in the bay, and went to some very nice restaurants.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Doesn't a cruise ship terminal at a Marine Park defeat the purpose of a Marine Park? I know Australia has a low bar when it comes to Marine Parks but a cruise ship terminal would make it a joke. Why even bother establishing a Marine Park if the government isn't going to take it even a little bit seriously😒. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Doesn't a cruise ship terminal at a Marine Park defeat the purpose of a Marine Park? I know Australia has a low bar when it comes to Marine Parks but a cruise ship terminal would make it a joke. Why even bother establishing a Marine Park if the government isn't going to take it even a little bit seriously😒. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

I doubt there would be a terminal there, it would have to be a tender port. There are no wharves at all at Vincentia, and very few at Huskisson and all of those are actually in the river.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I doubt there would be a terminal there, it would have to be a tender port. There are no wharves at all at Vincentia, and very few at Huskisson and all of those are actually in the river.

That is better than what I thought but if the tenders have to cross the Marine Park to land the passengers then it will still mean increased traffic. We already allow way more recreational activities in our MPs than other develop countries. If you are going to treat MPs like any other coastal waters than it just becomes a silly boundary on a map rather than a genuine attempt to boost biodiversity in our coastal environments. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, governments shouldn't make Marine Parks if they can't commit to the concept of leaving them undisturbed. It's disingenuous.