Vertical (portrait) photos loading sideways

Recently I have added photos which have displayed upside down. This is new, never happened before. The attached image of an Ultimate platter in the Elite breakfast is an example.

I have noticed this has happened with other posters.

Any ideas why this has started happening?

3074E096-0E7A-4EED-A0AA-4CDC4C6A1BE2.jpeg

• 8 months later...

I am finding the same thing. 

My solution is to open the Pic in Snapseed, and just saving it there (no edit3). When I upload the file saved in Snapseed, it is upright. 

Original 

20220316_170702.thumb.jpg.5fbebf0bd2735c3370451c78b46cd37d.jpg

From Snapseed 

No idea why??? 

20220316_170702-03.jpeg

Edited by boblerm

58 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

That sound so cumbersome, though.

Can CC just fix the problem? It’s not been an issue until recently

Bethany, I am not able to speak to CCS ability to fix. But I can say that what I did is not cumbersome at all. I just did it in literally 20 seconds, I timed it. 

If you post live on a cruise ship, you really need to downsize pics anyway for any reasonable upload speed. Snapseed is ideal for this as well, so you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone 

If you need help in using Snapseed, let me know. 

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

That sound so cumbersome, though.

Can CC just fix the problem? It’s not been an issue until recently

The CC website is reading the EXIF metadata wrong. It could be fixed but it may be a bug in the forum software that needs to be fixed by the forum software developer.

• Like 1

This has been discussed on another thread. 

I have an EXIF app on my phone that lets you delete location data for a photo.  

I sample uploaded a horizontal and a vertical photo.  The one shot in landscape mode uploaded correctly, but the portrait mode picture uploaded sideways. 

When I looked at the data, the portrait shot listed the orientation as 6.  I then used my method of rotating the photo 90 degrees and saving, then rotating 3 more times to bring it back to the original orientation. Doing this, it changed the orientation to 1 in the EXIF. 

Original EXIF 

CA920E44-CD58-49FA-BD91-D69D66F31AF5.thumb.png.7c0d48744c75c2b522c9cbba1316bbbc.png

Rotated 4 positions EXIF 

C5FCE290-DECF-4C95-8DD1-56E3B05F34E6.thumb.png.ab9e39edcac2c3f4f5c385d3998c4af9.png

Photo after rotating 4 positions. 

7C268761-9221-4416-9F3A-FB46F45F7F83.thumb.jpeg.872095d0b391b502aac57433e01a61c9.jpeg

Now I am confused as to why the orientation flag changes when you rotate 4 times, to essentially have the same portrait view without cropping. 

It may be something in how CC either reads that flag or ignores it. 

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

This has been discussed on another thread. 

I have an EXIF app on my phone that lets you delete location data for a photo.  

I sample uploaded a horizontal and a vertical photo.  The one shot in landscape mode uploaded correctly, but the portrait mode picture uploaded sideways. 

When I looked at the data, the portrait shot listed the orientation as 6.  I then used my method of rotating the photo 90 degrees and saving, then rotating 3 more times to bring it back to the original orientation. Doing this, it changed the orientation to 1 in the EXIF. 

Original EXIF 

CA920E44-CD58-49FA-BD91-D69D66F31AF5.thumb.png.7c0d48744c75c2b522c9cbba1316bbbc.png

Rotated 4 positions EXIF 

C5FCE290-DECF-4C95-8DD1-56E3B05F34E6.thumb.png.ab9e39edcac2c3f4f5c385d3998c4af9.png

Photo after rotating 4 positions. 

7C268761-9221-4416-9F3A-FB46F45F7F83.thumb.jpeg.872095d0b391b502aac57433e01a61c9.jpeg

Now I am confused as to why the orientation flag changes when you rotate 4 times, to essentially have the same portrait view without cropping. 

It may be something in how CC either reads that flag or ignores it. 

I just checked out my method in the Test Forum. I loaded 10 vertical images from my Camera Folder, they all posted horizontally.

Then I just opened and saved them in Snapseed, nothing else done to them. 

I loaded those 10 and every one of them posted in their proper vertical orientation. 

It takes a few seconds to do this. 

I have not the slightest clue as to why this works. 

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

Is there a way to do this just using the cruise critic site?  I really don’t want another app on my phone.  

Not right now, I am told that the issue will be corrected in the next software update, no ETA as of yet.

If I may humbly make a suggestion, I know that phones tend to get over loaded with apps, but Snapseed is an extremely useful one.  This is especially true if you want to post photos from a cruise ship, posting full size photos can take forever, if they will post at all.  It is super easy to downsize them in Snapseed, it literally takes about 3 or 4 clicks.  They will post in a matter of seconds with no discernible drop in quality.  You can also crop images, and if you are of so inclined, do some simple editing, but you really don't have to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

More important, how can I correct this on my iPhone. My photos the I shot vertically are appearing sideways.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, just bite the bullet and get Snapseed. (free).

If you need help in using it , just let me know, I am happy to help. You can post here , or, if you prefer,  you can email me at the address in my signature

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, kccrzr said:

Some of my photos are uploading upside down. Still no software update?

Howdy @kccrzr!

CC Help Jenn is Following this thread. However, I am tagging @CC Help Michell since she has taken over Jenn's job duties. Hopefully she will be able to answer on this thread.

Or you can contact CC Help Michell directly at help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please see the following: How to: Change your Cruise Critic Email Address or User Name Please be sure to include your user name, type of device and browser in your email. 

Happy sails,

Host Kat