Covid on board?

39august

32 minutes ago, 39august said:

I thought I read yesterday that there were 2two on either Millie or Summit who tested positive for covid. I have seen nothing further. Was I mistaken? Good if I was.

I read a few weeks back that there were 2 cases on the Millie.  But at the time, she wasn’t sailing out of the U S.   Haven’t heard anything since.  

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I thought I read yesterday that there were 2two on either Millie or Summit who tested positive for covid. I have seen nothing further. Was I mistaken? Good if I was.

Two removed from Apex in Greece. I have forgotten which thread. It was embedded as a response, not a stand alone thread.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 39august said:

Uh-oh. So it was an M class ship. Wonder why nothing else has been posted. 

Hello, "39august."

It appears that you are confusing two events -- in each of which there were two virus cases:

The first event involved the Millennium (June 7 embarkation, we think, from Sint Maarten).

The second event involved the Apex (very recently, from Athens [?]).

Don't worry.  All will be well.

Edited by jg51

There will be breakthrough cases and even potentially a case with a unvaccinated passenger.   The fact that they are getting Improved tracing and can identify those who may have been exposed is a plus and the odds of a breakthrough case getting  very ill is slim.  

• Like 3

There will be more screening of passengers on ships out of places like St Maarten and in Greece where there are country and travel requirements for tests. Everybody gets screened.   So routine screening will pick up occasional positive cases even from vaccinated  passengers on ships.  Like Apex and Summit.  Or previously Millennium.  But in ships leaving the US like EDGE, no need for routine  testing of vaccinated passengers.  So if 95+% on EDGE are vaccinated,  at most 5% will be routinely tested and most of them kids.  So the odds of finding a positive test is pretty rare.  That is what has been seen so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There will be more screening of passengers on ships out of places like St Maarten and in Greece where there are country and travel requirements for tests. Everybody gets screened.   So routine screening will pick up occasional positive cases even from vaccinated  passengers on ships.  Like Apex and Summit.  Or previously Millennium.  But in ships leaving the US like EDGE, no need for routine  testing of vaccinated passengers.  So if 95+% on EDGE are vaccinated,  at most 5% will be routinely tested and most of them kids.  So the odds of finding a positive test is pretty rare.  That is what has been seen so far.

I think you are forgetting that on ships that disembark in the USA everyone will need to get an antigen test before the end of the cruise (they need this to fly home).  While this might not impact any ports (the testing will likely happen the last day of the cruise) it will still get some publicity.

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

I think you are forgetting that on ships that disembark in the USA everyone will need to get an antigen test before the end of the cruise (they need this to fly home).  While this might not impact any ports (the testing will likely happen the last day of the cruise) it will still get some publicity.

Hank

Do they need to get an antigen test if they are fully vaccinated US citizens to fly from FL to their home airport in the US?  Why?  Maybe I am confused but I did not think that was the case.  

Just now, TeeRick said:

Do they need to get an antigen test if they are fully vaccinated US citizens to fly from FL to their home airport in the US?  Why?  Maybe I am confused but I did not think that was the case.  

I guess you are right.  Kind of strange that fully vaccinated folks who fly-in to the USA all need to be tested within the 3 days before their flight.  But no need to be tested when on a ship?  On the other hand we are talking about the CDC and nothing they say or do is surprising.

• Like 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

I guess you are right.  Kind of strange that fully vaccinated folks who fly-in to the USA all need to be tested within the 3 days before their flight.  But no need to be tested when on a ship?  On the other hand we are talking about the CDC and nothing they say or do is surprising.

Yes only international passengers need to be tested.  Fully vaccinated domestic US passengers on airplanes or ships leaving FLL or now Seattle do not require on board testing or any testing for travel after leaving the ship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes only international passengers need to be tested.  Fully vaccinated domestic US passengers on airplanes or ships leaving FLL or now Seattle do not require on board testing or any testing for travel after leaving the ship.  

So here is the irony and absolute idiocy of the CDC's policy.  One can take a Celebrity Apex cruise in the Greek Islands where everyone onboard is vaccinated (and tested at embarkation) and everyone must have an antigen test (which they get onboard) before they can fly home to the USA.  But put those same folks on a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean where not everyone is vaccinated and they do not need a test before they fly home.  Perhaps there is somebody at the CDC who can explain the logic of that policy but I doubt it!

Hank

• Like 1

I think the St. Maarten cruises are having 1-2 cases every 3rd cruise or so.  As far as I know, there has been no spread to contacts, which in a way, proves that what they are doing is working.  It's clear that even with vaccines, there will be a few mild to symptomless cases, and maybe what some are saying about viral load is correct, that not enough to spread.  Which, if true, is good.  (By the way, one of the alternate gymnasts tested positive a couple of days ago.  The regular team is competing, so no spread).

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So here is the irony and absolute idiocy of the CDC's policy.  One can take a Celebrity Apex cruise in the Greek Islands where everyone onboard is vaccinated (and tested at embarkation) and everyone must have an antigen test (which they get onboard) before they can fly home to the USA.  But put those same folks on a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean where not everyone is vaccinated and they do not need a test before they fly home.  Perhaps there is somebody at the CDC who can explain the logic of that policy but I doubt it!

Hank

To fly to the US from a foreign country thought you needed a test.  Last I heard you did need a test before flying back to he US from St. Maartin.  Think you are mistaken.  Being on a ship should have nothing to do with.

If you cruise out of Seattle you never leave the US, thus no test required.  It seems logical to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

To fly to the US from a foreign country thought you needed a test.  Last I heard you did need a test before flying back to he US from St. Maartin.  Think you are mistaken.  Being on a ship should have nothing to do with.

If you cruise out of Seattle you never leave the US, thus no test required.  It seems logical to me.

Cruising in and out of a US port like Seattle/Alaska/Seattle with only US stops is how we have chosen to restart our cruising.  This seems the most conservative to me.  Not FL thru the Caribbean and back.  If we are vaccinated on a 95-100% vaccinated ship we should be able to go mask free on board and not be tested at all.  Travel to/from Seattle would not require tests.  Only masks on planes and in airports.  And possibly in some ports.  All ok with me.  For Alaska, as of August Celebrity is requiring vaccines for ages 12+.  This is not Florida with all the nonsense.  So in September when we go there will likely be very few unvaccinated kids on board for a number of reasons.  Very few tests needed on board and so minimal chance of a cruise disruption due to COVID positives.  

Edited by TeeRick

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You would need an antigen test to fly to the USA from St Maarten or anywhere else.  But, unless I have missed the rule, you DO NOT need an antigen test if you are on a closed-loop cruise that embarks-disembarks from a US Port.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I simply cannot find that rule.  And now that the Court has done away with the Conditional Sail Order (CDO) as far as it being a mandate for Florida based cruises , the cruise ships have even more flexibility for cruises sailing in-out of Florida ports.

Hank

59 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You would need an antigen test to fly to the USA from St Maarten or anywhere else.  But, unless I have missed the rule, you DO NOT need an antigen test if you are on a closed-loop cruise that embarks-disembarks from a US Port.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I simply cannot find that rule.  And now that the Court has done away with the Conditional Sail Order (CDO) as far as it being a mandate for Florida based cruises , the cruise ships have even more flexibility for cruises sailing in-out of Florida ports.

Hank

I doubt cruise lines are going to make any major changes. Ships are sailing out of US and protocols are generally set and accepted by passengers... so they won't do anything to loosen procedures... especially with the uptick in Delta variant.

• Like 1