Murano or Tuscan GRille on Equinox?

sunsetme

12 minutes ago, chemmo said:

If you haven’t done it before it is ‘fun’ rather than ‘fine’ dining. It is one of those experiences that is well worth doing but perhaps not worth repeating... We much preferred the menu for the original LPC rather than the LPC and friends.

I went out to you tube and glad I did, probably not our preference.

Luckily, I live where there is excellent Italian food, so I find Tuscan a mediocre comparison.  It’s not bad and we have had good meals, but I don’t find it comparable to Murano.  In all fairness, I don’t think Murano stacks up to many steak houses either.  

On 7/25/2021 at 7:33 PM, sunsetme said:

Murano or Tuscan Grille on Equinox?

Which do you prefer? 

Hello, "sunsetme."

We combined the title that you gave this thread with the question that you asked, in case you really wanted to be specific about the Equinox.

We mention the above, because it is quite possible that many of the people that offered opinions, above, have not yet been on the Equinox, but were answering you on the basis of their experience(s) of Murano and/or Tuscan Grille on ships other than the Equinox.

We have dined in both restaurants, multiple times, on the Equinox.  (We have also dined in each of them, at least twenty times, on three of the other four Solstice-class ships.)

After so much experience -- wanting to give both restaurants the chances they deserved -- we have now reached the conclusion that we much prefer the Tuscan Grille to Murano.  We have even decided that, if we were to go on a seven-to-nine-night cruise, we might dine in Tuscan Grille every night.  (We will probably never dine in Murano again.)

We decided not to say why we arrived at the above conclusions, because you asked only, "Which do you prefer?"

We feel confident that you will not regret visiting Tuscan Grille.  Have fun!

Murano for sure!  We dined 2x on our Silhouette cruise, and absolutely loved it.  On a different cruise on the Constellation, we went to Tuscan on an evening when they were featuring their seafood night.  Lots of food for sure, but kind of "meh".  However I do know others love Tuscan. You cannot go wrong with Murano.

3 hours ago, jg51 said:

Hello, "sunsetme."

We combined the title that you gave this thread with the question that you asked, in case you really wanted to be specific about the Equinox.

We mention the above, because it is quite possible that many of the people that offered opinions, above, have not yet been on the Equinox, but were answering you on the basis of their experience(s) of Murano and/or Tuscan Grille on ships other than the Equinox.

We have dined in both restaurants, multiple times, on the Equinox.  (We have also dined in each of them, at least twenty times, on three of the other four Solstice-class ships.)

After so much experience -- wanting to give both restaurants the chances they deserved -- we have now reached the conclusion that we much prefer the Tuscan Grille to Murano.  We have even decided that, if we were to go on a seven-to-nine-night cruise, we might dine in Tuscan Grille every night.  (We will probably never dine in Murano again.)

We decided not to say why we arrived at the above conclusions, because you asked only, "Which do you prefer?"

We feel confident that you will not regret visiting Tuscan Grille.  Have fun!

Sorry can’t agree, Murano hands up.  We too have sailed on Equinox and Tucson never again.

6 hours ago, sunsetme said:

Murano wins

Good choice, find time to peruse the menu before boarding and ensure you get some of the ‘theatre’ of the venue by choosing one or two items that involve tableside preparation...

Enjoy!

Just now, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've tried Tuscan three times on different ships.  Not impressed.  I've had better food and service in the MDR.

I agree. Tuscan is not worth the upcharge. Murano is hit or miss. I will seek out the Maitre D and let him know we have been disappointed before. Sometimes they will pay special attention if you say that. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:50 AM, MaggieAtSea said:

We find the length of the dinner at Murano to be excessive - we've had many a spectacular fine dining experience on land that doesn't take so many hours!  LOL!  And we find the carbonara in Tuscan beyond tasty.  When we stay in a PS or RS, we actually book Tuscan every other night!

How long are we talking?  I can’t sit and eat for 2 hours…I feel like I’m wasting my time…

16 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've tried Tuscan three times on different ships.  Not impressed.  I've had better food and service in the MDR.

I agree.  We have tried Tuscan a few times since they changed the menu.  Not worth the up charge.    Our go to has been Murano. We have always been pleased there.   No interest in the Petit Chef.  

Our last cruise on the Mardi Gras Reflection itinerary (loved it) that occurred right before the start of the pandemic (off the ship March 2), we were fortunate to stay in a RS.  Food is subjective, so I will just offer our experience.  Murano has a wonderful ambiance with attentive staff.  However, my grilled lobster prepared tableside was just undercooked.  I was watching our young waiter doing the preparations while senior waiters were watching from a discreet distance.  I wanted to say, "Please saute the lobster a bit more," but I wanted him to succeed so I said nothing.  The lobster was translucent in the centre so I did my best to work around it.  I told him quietly after dinner that perhaps he should add some time to the cooking of the lobster.  All of the other courses were delish!

Tuscan was just a "Meh." As some others have stated... go for the view.

My favourite restaurant was Lumiere!  As we were in a RS, we could have dined every night in a specialty restaurant.  However, Lumiere delivered.  Just my $.02

Happy and Safe Travels.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

I wanted to say, "Please saute the lobster a bit more," but I wanted him to succeed so I said nothing. 

Had you encouraged him nicely to sauté the lobster a bit longer, he would have benefitted from the cooking tip and you would have had the pleasure of a fully cooked lobster. Win-win. Also win-win for future diners, as their lobsters won't be undercooked. In my experience, young workers in any line of work respond positively to helpful suggestions when presented in an encouraging manner. Just a thought...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

I agree. Tuscan is not worth the upcharge. Murano is hit or miss. I will seek out the Maitre D and let him know we have been disappointed before. Sometimes they will pay special attention if you say that. 

1 hour ago, LMHSRN said:

Keys Kathy, Why in the world you would you go back to someplace that you have not enjoyed 3 other times?

Telling the Maitre D get you a free meal maybe?

Snark much?  The three times I went to Tuscan were free because of the level of cabin I occupied.  Different ships.  The second time I went I thought I would give them another chance.  The third time I went I was traveling with friends who wanted to go.  So, I've had three free meals in Tuscan and, as I've said previously, I've had better food AND service in the MDR.

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

How long are we talking?  I can’t sit and eat for 2 hours…I feel like I’m wasting my time…

The meal starts with an ‘amuse bouche’ (Tasty spoonful) followed by...

starter

entree

cheese

dessert

coffee/sweets

Add a small gap between each course and time for some dishes to be prepared tableside. Sit back in comfortable chairs sipping  wines matched to each course. Enjoy a port with your cheese selection and a liqueur with coffee...It is not a meal to rush, it is a meal to savour. 

We are aware we spend more time dining in Murano’s than in most other restaurants but it never feels like time wasted. We always order one or two items with some tableside preparation, it does add an element of ‘entertainment’ to the meal...

I suggest you give it a go and do not look at your watch, just go with the relaxing flow...

On 7/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Murano for sure for us.  I've never had a bad experience in Murano with either food or service.  We have been disappointed a number of times with both service and food in Tuscan.  To me Murano is fine dining Tuscan is a Med. Steak and Pasta house with not much flare but that's my personal  opinion.   I know other love it.

On our last visit to Tuscan a guest of ours had to send her Lasagna back  because it was cold and after being redone she said  it was still cold but wasn't going to send it back again.   I insisted and the Restaurant Manager    made sure it was hot on the 3rd try.  

Well said!  Murano all the way for us.