Princess Plus Fare Confusion

geoherb

I thought that Princess Plus was $40 per day. But when pricing cruises on the Princess website, I found some cruises where it was a little bit more and one where it was a lot more than that. See my screen shots below. Both are for 7-day cruises. The first one works out to a difference of $404 ($57.71 a day) and the second one to $700 ($100 a day). Another cruise did not even offer Princess Plus. For a couple of other dates, Princess Plus does not show up as an option. (These are all cruises on the Majestic next month and in September.) I may have to call tomorrow to find out.

temp.jpg

tempb.jpg

7 hours ago, caribill said:

If you post the dates for these two cruises and type of cabin (inside?,balcony?, other?), I will see if I get the same pricing you did.

Thanks. I'm not getting the same prices this morning--but still crazy differences. It was the August 15 and 22 on the Majestic, inside cabin, solo. It's now a difference of $724 to add Princess Plus to the August 22 cruise and $400 for August 15. 

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Thanks. I'm not getting the same prices this morning--but still crazy differences. It was the August 15 and 22 on the Majestic, inside cabin, solo. It's now a difference of $724 to add Princess Plus to the August 22 cruise and $400 for August 15. 

Just looked at the August 15th for 2 people and it is 280 per person more.  Maybe they charge a supplement for singles as well since as others have pointed out it is a type of fare not a package that you purchase separate.  On another thread people were able to go with the Plus fare for only $20 or $30 per person. 

9 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I checked some pricing and it seems like the difference is with a single occupant.  All the cruises I looked at for 2 occupants was a $40 difference each.

if you want - check the 5 day , 11/24/21 - western caribbean on the Regal and see what you get

26 minutes ago, voljeep said:

if you want - check the 5 day , 11/24/21 - western caribbean on the Regal and see what you get

WOW!!  That was quite different.  I got the same price when using 1 occupant and $20 a day extra for 2 occupants.  That seems like a pretty nice deal.  

• Thanks 1

Definitely not consistent across the board.  The 7 day Eastern Caribbean on 28 Nov is $40 a day extra for either 1 or 2 occupants.  The 10 day we are doing in Jan 2023 it's $40 for either 1 or 2 occupants as well but they charge you for 2 occupants base cost then $400 for the package.

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Just looked at the August 15th for 2 people and it is 280 per person more.  Maybe they charge a supplement for singles as well since as others have pointed out it is a type of fare not a package that you purchase separate.  On another thread people were able to go with the Plus fare for only $20 or $30 per person. 

It is supposed to be $40/person.day

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I am seeing the same numbers you see today.

Time to call Princess as this makes no sense when the difference should be $280.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Time to call Princess as this makes no sense when the difference should be $280.

30 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Is that in a document somewhere?

When I booked my premium plus it was on the Princess website 

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I called. The $1,094 price is a Drop & Go fare. The Princess Plus special is not available for those, so they price out the perks individually, including the Premier Beverage Package at $59.99 a day. With my discount on the internet, it would be a little bit less than the price that shows up on the website.

I don't drink enough to make $59.99 a day worth getting the drink package. 

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

It is supposed to be $40/person.day

If always get the Princess Plus.  I booked a deluxe balcony as a solo on the Aug 15 Majestic cruise to Alaska.  I priced it myself before calling my travel agent, and it did not let me see a Princess Plus option.  My travel agent was able to get the pricing with the Princess Plus.  The additional cost with the Princess Plus was $1,000.  I asked my agent to double check with Princess and they confirmed.  I later took an upgrade offer to a mini-suite, and asked my agent to check again.  This time Princess came back with an additional cost of $2,000 (for one person)--no thanks.  My prior experience is the price is $40/day/person.  Not sure if Princess has changed it's pricing model, or if this was a glitch.  We'll see.

I'll just bring 3 bottles of my favorite wines on board.  That should cover 6 dinners.  If they charge corkage, it's fine.

I got a great deal on my cabin, so all is good.

1 hour ago, jff50 said:

Not sure if Princess has changed it's pricing model, or if this was a glitch.  We'll see.

I think it's just that your previous cruises must have been booked at regular fares and this one is a special for which Princess Plus isn't available--so they priced it out like they did the ones I saw above with the Premium Beverage Package at $59.99 a day, gratuities, and Wi-Fi added. Since I'll probably fly in the day of the cruise, I won't be bringing any wine. I'll just have to make do with my minibar contents and buy a few beverages.

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I called. The $1,094 price is a Drop & Go fare. The Princess Plus special is not available for those, so they price out the perks individually, including the Premier Beverage Package at $59.99 a day. With my discount on the internet, it would be a little bit less than the price that shows up on the website.

I don't drink enough to make $59.99 a day worth getting the drink package. 

I think you must have the answer.  When I check our cruises that are over a year away, the PLUS is what we would expect.  A cruise that is about to sale, they dropped the price a lot - but the Saver Fare and not so much for the PLUS.  No way I would pay the premium.

That said, sometimes Princess has some pricing anomalies and you need to inquire and point it out to them.  These mistakes can be fixed, but doesn't appear to be the case here.

Checked a number of the cruises on our "watch list".  All came up at $50 Canadian per day for princess Plus except one.  This one priced out at $37.50 Canadian per day, but I think that may be because the cruise is not selling well.

Nov 5th 2021 Sky Princess Tropical TA from London to Fort Lauderdale.

We would be booked on this TA but just too much uncertainty regarding COVID restrictions in England for us to make firm plans in that direction.  But the base price and the Princess Plus add on is very enticing.

We chose a 'safer' cruise from the perspective of the chances of us actually sailing without incredible amounts of COVID hoop jumping (tests, masks border restrictions etc) and the related stress. Probably that's what's keeping others away as well.

Don

30 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

Checked a number of the cruises on our "watch list".  All came up at $50 Canadian per day for princess Plus except one.  This one priced out at $37.50 Canadian per day, but I think that may be because the cruise is not selling well.

Nov 5th 2021 Sky Princess Tropical TA from London to Fort Lauderdale.

We would be booked on this TA but just too much uncertainty regarding COVID restrictions in England for us to make firm plans in that direction.  But the base price and the Princess Plus add on is very enticing.

We chose a 'safer' cruise from the perspective of the chances of us actually sailing without incredible amounts of COVID hoop jumping (tests, masks border restrictions etc) and the related stress. Probably that's what's keeping others away as well.

Don

This is because Princess recently adjust their CAD conversion rate from 1.20 to 1.25 which is more in-line with current market rates.  $40 USD = $50 CAD @ 1.25.