Anyone else reevaluating?

MsTabbyKats

We reevaluated several months ago.  NCL cancelled for us 11/2020, and back in March of 2021 we cancelled for this coming November,  just because we don't have a good feeling about travel in 2021.  Our first cruise now will hopefully be Sept. 2022 on the POA.  Our first international cruise does not happen until Sept. 2023......I hope that this is enough time for Covid to wane and that cruising is more normalized..  We  have only put a minimal amount of money on either cruise, as we are seriously watching both travel generally and NCL's health specifically. In the meantime, we are busy with road trips to different places around the state that we have not spent time in.  

Sadly, yes.  Definitely re evaluating.

Booked on the Jade Greek Islands for October.  Just watched a webcam showing Jade anchored off Santorini with the tenders coming and going.  Just gorgeous.

But a false (or worse actual) positive could mean thousands of dollars in repatriation costs and quite likely loss of a job which has medical benefits.

Using NCL air made the trip almost a gift, but not knowing ATL-ATH connection times, even airline ahead of time is a huge stressor.

I want to thank NCL and my PCC for the courteous and efficient responses to my concerns as we made and booked three times.

jade at santorini.png

• Like 1

We reevaluated our October cruise to Bermuda and as of today, we are still going.  We talked it through and looked at all the negative possibilities.  We simply decided it was still a risk we were willing to take (in other words, we feel that the risk of contracting COVID is so negligent it isn't a significant consideration for us.)  All of the other negative outcomes like the cruise getting cancelled at the last minute, getting denied boarding in NYC, or having to repatriate from Bermuda all seemed like manageable circumstances.  We always buy the lowest cost cabin so our financial loss is not excessive and we had that conversation too.  Is it worth risking a total of $2000 in case we can't sail and get no money back?  We decided yes.  I was glad we talked it through so we are both comfortable as we look forward to October 3rd.

• Like 2

Not re-evaluating for now. Our newly booked cruise isn't until the end of January, and we expect requirements to shift several times between now and then. Money isn't a problem for us as our cruise is paid for with FCC from our last 3 cruises that got cancelled.

We have no problems with masks. We've been using them for a year and a half and they now help us feel more secure when we are indoors with people we don't know.

Booked out of NY ok Sept 26 on the Breakaway.   I rolled the dice and made my final payment. I hope Breakaway sails. My plans depend on NCL.  I am a scientist (PH.D In chemistry) and believe in science. It is time to cruise.  Protocols are in place. 

I hope to cruise this year. 

LET’S GO. TIME TO CRUISE!

• Like 9

I am definitely not booking right now. Go to the Royal board & read the thread 

I tested positive for covid on Adventure 7/24 sailing.

While Royal did a great job what the person & spouse went thru is not the way I want to end my vacation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeTec said:

I am definitely not booking right now. Go to the Royal board & read the thread 

I tested positive for covid on Adventure 7/24 sailing.

While Royal did a great job what the person & spouse went thru is not the way I want to end my vacation.

Just read the thread. I must say it looks as though it went extremely smooth. A few hiccups but minor to what others have dealt with in the past when Covid was just starting. I’m impressed with Royals response. Now I’m wondering if NCL can respond that well? 

We  just cancelled our cruise out of Rome on 9/29/21 on the Epic this past Friday (the day before final payment was due).   I didn't like what I was reading regarding covid numbers and increasing restrictions (curfews and shut downs) that were beginning to occur in parts of Europe.    Considering how contagious this new variant is, I also had to consider that our plan to fly into Rome a few days early and tour all of the sites would put us at a much higher risk for a positive covid test when we tried to board the ship.    I haven't cancelled airfare yet so I may re-evaluate and r-ebook this same cruise at the end of August/beginning of September if things look better.   Based on the numbers - I'm not very optimistic.        
If cruise prices for next year weren't so sky high I probably would have made the final payment and just taken the credit if things didn't work out, but 2022 sailings are very expensive.  I can't imagine them coming down with so many people needing to use up their FCC.   

For these reasons, I decided to back out.    So disappointed.   

Edited by Cb2534
spelling
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, ColeThornton said:

Like many other cruisers I "reevaluated" quite a few months ago and decided not to book anything in the near future.  Not worth the hassle, worry or possible financial loss.  I still have quite a few good years left in me.  I'll bide my time.   Plenty of other adventures out there.    🙂

Is the “near future” a couple months or a few years?  In March 2020 I was sure it is the former, but I did not realize how persistently pushy they are. I might be destroyed from stress way sooner than they let us be.

21 hours ago, hernando52 said:

We reevaluated several months ago.  NCL cancelled for us 11/2020, and back in March of 2021 we cancelled for this coming November,  just because we don't have a good feeling about travel in 2021.  Our first cruise now will hopefully be Sept. 2022 on the POA.  Our first international cruise does not happen until Sept. 2023......I hope that this is enough time for Covid to wane and that cruising is more normalized..  We  have only put a minimal amount of money on either cruise, as we are seriously watching both travel generally and NCL's health specifically. In the meantime, we are busy with road trips to different places around the state that we have not spent time in.  

What cruise line is for your September 2023 cruise? There are only few of them selling that far away.  The most of them cannot even figure out 2022 starting January; I see constant cancelations and changes like it occurred to my December 2021, March 2022, another March 2022 (moved to March 2023), and July 2022.

5 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

What cruise line is for your September 2023 cruise? There are only few of them selling that far away.  The most of them cannot even figure out 2022 starting January; I see constant cancelations and changes like it occurred to my December 2021, March 2022, another March 2022 (moved to March 2023), and July 2022.

NCL   

10-Day Greek Isles Round-Trip Rome September 23, 2023

Norwegian Breakaway

Hopefully this one is far enough out that we'll be okay....if not, it is what it is....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Is the “near future” a couple months or a few years?  In March 2020 I was sure it is the former, but I did not realize how persistently pushy they are. I might be destroyed from stress way sooner than they let us be.

I'm not sure at this point I can put a time value on when I will book my next cruise.  I guess like so many people have already said I will wait to book when masks and constant testing requirements have disappeared.  When that will be I have no idea, my crystal ball is in the shop for repairs.  🙂

I've been vaccinated and don't desire to go through all that nonsense, of course...that's a discussion that's been beaten to death on all the cruise forums.

Smooth sailing to all who desire to sail now.  I wish nothing but the best for them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Just read the thread. I must say it looks as though it went extremely smooth. A few hiccups but minor to what others have dealt with in the past when Covid was just starting. I’m impressed with Royals response. Now I’m wondering if NCL can respond that well? 

I agree that Royal's response was exceptional. A limo ride to a private jet to a private suburban direct to your door. Cruise lines can't afford this protocol much longer. Mandatory insurance for vaccinated and unvaccinated is next for those looking for an investment ;-).

Meanwhile on Carnival someone who tested positive is reporting they incurred the room service charge while in quarantine (I'd laugh but it's not funny for that person).

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree that Royal's response was exceptional. A limo ride to a private jet to a private suburban direct to your door. Cruise lines can't afford this protocol much longer. Mandatory insurance for vaccinated and unvaccinated is next for those looking for an investment ;-).

Meanwhile on Carnival someone who tested positive is reporting they incurred the room service charge while in quarantine (I'd laugh but it's not funny for that person).

Unless this quickly turns around for a rapid improvement, I think these next few weeks are going to be a make or break for some cruise lines.  This continuing uncertainty dragging them down week after week just can't last for them.  They need to be able to eventually, like as in soon, return to full steam status.  No profit in where they are right now.  Just not loosing money quite as fast.  This all sucks.   Chapter 11 maybe. I wanna cruise!  

10 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Unless this quickly turns around for a rapid improvement, I think these next few weeks are going to be a make or break for some cruise lines.  This continuing uncertainty dragging them down week after week just can't last for them.  They need to be able to eventually, like as in soon, return to full steam status.  No profit in where they are right now.  Just not loosing money quite as fast.  This all sucks.   Chapter 11 maybe. I wanna cruise!  

Everything in life has it challenges.  Some more then others.  None of this is going to turn around anytime soon.  What will happen is we as consumer and the travel industry as a whole will adapt.  Where before, I would never buy Travel Insurance; now I would go on any trip without it. I will also use which ever credit card gives me the most travel benefits.  

As it relates to the travel industry.  They are all leading towards insisting on travel insurance.  They can not sustain the cost of private transportation.  So if you want to go on a cruise, that is an added cost.  

My message is simple, we will adapt because there is no other choice.  If a cruise brand goes under, another company will purchase them and life goes on.  We can't control that so we will simply adapt. My two cents only.

21 minutes ago, roger001 said:

This continuing uncertainty dragging them down week after week just can't last for them.  

Unfortunately, the way I'm reading financials a structural chance is inevitable.

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My message is simple, we will adapt because there is no other choice.  If a cruise brand goes under, another company will purchase them and life goes on.  We can't control that so we will simply adapt. My two cents only.

This is true. Saudi's are looking to purchase a line. I suspect China is too. One thing that seems blatently obvious to me is that cruising (like many things) is going to be much different post covid.

In the meantime, stay on the right side of the trade friends 🙂

• Like 1

Sad to say I think I'm done until I'm sure I've had Covid or the testing stops for vaccinated people. I cancelled my September cruise.

There's no science behind this zero case goal.  It's ridiculous that the government, media and the perpetually afraid, expect a world without flu and/or cold symptoms (which is what happens to the vaccinated).

This absolute stupidity will destroy the industry. And I don't blame the cruise lines, not at all.

The Carnival board has a family in quarantine in Texas because half of them tested positive. Half. 

Americans quarantined in America, where the virus has been running rampant for 18 months.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

They are all leading towards insisting on travel insurance.  They can not sustain the cost of private transportation.  So if you want to go on a cruise, that is an added cost.  

I believe that some of this is self-inflicted by those lines who allow unvaxxed but then attempt to mitigate with testing during the cruise.  They're just looking for "trouble."

As I now understand it, with NCL I'll be tested prior to boarding and have no further testing.  If I get Covid but am asymptomatic (most likely outcome), I'll never know it and neither will they.  I'll just finish my cruise and head for the airport. 😎

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Everything in life has it challenges.  Some more then others.  None of this is going to turn around anytime soon.  What will happen is we as consumer and the travel industry as a whole will adapt.  Where before, I would never buy Travel Insurance; now I would go on any trip without it. I will also use which ever credit card gives me the most travel benefits.  

As it relates to the travel industry.  They are all leading towards insisting on travel insurance.  They can not sustain the cost of private transportation.  So if you want to go on a cruise, that is an added cost.  

It is already 1.5 years “turning around not any time soon”. So, another 1.5 years like that is not even any time soon, it is … I even cannot find a proper phrase for it.  Simply adapt to what? Masks, “social dancing”, daily tests”, constant changes to “protocols” (it is a really funny word for stress free event that a cruise is supposed to be), and alike during vacations? That’s not an enjoyment. Yes, one may adapt in a regular life (people managed to live even in concentration camps).  However, adapting to what’s going on currently on cruises is not possible (some might not to care if they retired, for example, but that is a different  topic).

12 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

It is already 1.5 years “turning around not any time soon”. So, another 1.5 years like that is not even any time soon, it is … I even cannot find a proper phrase for it.  Simply adapt to what? Masks, “social dancing”, daily tests”, constant changes to “protocols” (it is a really funny word for stress free event that a cruise is supposed to be), and alike during vacations? That’s not an enjoyment. Yes, one may adapt in a regular life (people managed to live even in concentration camps).  However, adapting to what’s going on currently on cruises is not possible (some might not to care if they retired, for example, but that is a different  topic).

I believe that until this testing stops... nothing will change.

9 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

If anything in life is to stressful, don't do it.  If you choose to do it, like a cruise, then simply "Know What The Rules Are".  To do that, we must adapt.  Let me be crystal clear here. I don't like any of this, who does.  I don't endorse any of this, who does.  HOWEVER, we can live in a cave or do the things some find unpleasant to continue to live our lives.  Now we all make what ever decisions we won't, EXCEPT.

"People can do anything they want to do as long as it does not effect my well being".  

All we as a society need to be is kind and fare to each other.  We will survive this thing together, or not. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 11:02 AM, Sweetnspicy said:

A little off the subject of cruising but my husband and I just returned from 7 days in Puerto Vallarta. We went as a group with some family and friends 8 people total. On Monday my in-laws, grandma and sister tested with a rapid test as their flight home was Wednesday. They all had results through text message within 15 minutes. All negative for covid and able to fly home. 

on Wednesday my husband, myself and our couple friends tested at the same clinic. I immediately got a negative result (we didn’t even make it back to where the car was parked before I had my results) our female friend had her negative result about 10 minutes after me. My husband and the other guy waited and waited for over two hours before they got the dreaded “positive” result. We called the clinic and they said to come back and retest with the rapid as it’s notorious for false positives. So we went back. They retested and within 30 minutes the results came back as positive once again. At this point we completely panicked. The clinic told us that we would all need a PCR test the next day at 7am. We all tested and didn’t receive our results until 9pm on Thursday night. Our flight was Friday at 4pm. Thankfully we all came back negative after the PCR but we spent a total of $512 for each couple with the testing. The stress and anxiety on Thursday was awful and we couldn’t enjoy anything. We didn’t want to expose the locals so we stayed shut in our rental house. The idea of leaving my husband behind in Mexico with our friend was just really stressful and I was worried the entire time that he would be in trouble with his job but we decided that the girls needed to get home. 

The whole trip was really stressful and we decided to cancel our next couple of international adventures. I was so hopeful that things were starting to look better all over the world but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

Not off topic at all.  This is exactly the kind of thing I would like to avoid, particularly sailing out of Miami.  We are also scheduled for a Thanksgiving trip to Mazatlán (land based), and while I wouldn't mind a couple of extra weeks in Mazatlán, being stuck in a hotel room really is not my idea of a vacation.  I suspect that trip will be cancelled too.  Having two teenagers complicates the calculus as well.  We may have to wait til our Prima sailing before we get back to cruising.  

Thanks for sharing your story.

2 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I believe that some of this is self-inflicted by those lines who allow unvaxxed but then attempt to mitigate with testing during the cruise.  They're just looking for "trouble."

As I now understand it, with NCL I'll be tested prior to boarding and have no further testing.  If I get Covid but am asymptomatic (most likely outcome), I'll never know it and neither will they.  I'll just finish my cruise and head for the airport. 😎

and to me this is the best scenario of all.  Because think about it, we all go to stores and restaurants etc etc.  Stuff is in the air and if vaxxed, it will help control.  If not vaxxed, well the variant is scary and people have to decide.  Tests are as good as a moment in time.  

Booked for October 1st and can't wait. Sailing all by myself in a balcony cabin. Not going to let wearing a mask ruin my time. I would much rather be out there with a mask on then stuck at home. 🙃

• Like 4