Masks or cancellations again???

joelheather

9 hours ago, Anung Un Rama said:

I hope I don't have to wear a mask on board but I won't cancel if I do.  I NEED a vacation and we have a nice room and balcony to hang out on (all week if need be).  I'll just put on my mask to hop down to Alchemy and take my drink back to my room.

Yep. I'm glad I recently switched to an aft wrap that popped up available on our next cruise. I know I can get pizza and wings delivered. Hopefully the ship internet will support ESPN and others on a tablet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GirlDad said:

I think we are not looking at the big picture.  Right now, people who are vaccinated, are catching and spreading Covid.  Those who are not vaccinated, many are dying.  Studies have shown that Delta  is more contagious. 

I do have mixed feelings about cruising and having so much fun while we are still in the middle of a pandemic, with too many still getting sick and dying from the virus. But I also know so many people depend on cruise ships for jobs and to bring tourists to their countries. I may never resolve that, but I can sail on!!!!! 

• Like 2

It is important to remember that there are going to be cases on ships (as is also the case with everywhere you are in everyday life), maybe not all cruises, but at least some.  RC's Adventure of the Seas had vaccine requirements for most guests, as well as a negative test before boarding requirement, yet still had six passengers test positive on the seven day cruise. Four of those were vaccinated and two were minors who were not vaccinated.  It is also worth noting that only one of the six were showing any symptoms at all and those symptoms were mild.  That is the the case with the overwhelming majority of people who get the virus.  It is still higher risk individuals who are having moderate to severe symptoms.  The key for the cruise lines is to have practices in place to help limit the spread when cases do appear.  It seems that most have these practices in place and are abiding by them.

• Like 4

Masking up doesn't bother me or my family in the least.  If we have to mask up....fine.  We refuse to postpone traveling over a piece of fabric and a filter on our faces.  My family and I will live our lives vaccinated and with a mask if need be.  We just need to get away and hear the ocean from our balcony! 😎

• Like 3

18 hours ago, joelheather said:

Will masks on cruising be mandatory, or will another no sail order be enforced due to cases rising? your thoughts…

The leading Doctor on the Covid at the hospital my wife works at said the next 6 weeks are going to be a very bumpy ride.  He said that the hospitilization numbers that as of a few weeks ago were down to the single digits could make it back to what they were at the height of the Pandemic.  I am really hoping that my cruise in December will still be going, but I think the developments of this past week have put that possibility in serious jeopardy.  I will be happy to wear a mask indoors on a ship if need be.  I will not like it but I will do it to spend a week on a cruise with my family at Christmas.  I hope it doesn't com to that.  

Edited by skridge
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, skridge said:

The leading Doctor on the Covid at the hospital my wife works at said the next 6 weeks are going to be a very bumpy ride.  He said that the hospitilization numbers that as of a few weeks ago were down to the single digits could make it back to what they were at the height of the Pandemic.  I am really hoping that my cruise in December will still be going, but I think the developments of this past week have put that possibility in serious jeopardy.  I will be happy to wear a mask indoors on a ship if need be.  I will not like it but I will do it to spend a week on a cruise with my family at Christmas.  I hope it doesn't com to that.  

I agree I want xmas cruise to be a go too.

5 hours ago, dandeck said:

Masks won't be required because, given this latest variant / upswing, no way in hades anyone who is not vaccinated will be allowed anywhere near a ship.  No way, no how.    

Lol when is this going to happen and on which cruiseline are the unvaccinated going to be not allowed. Ncl maybe? Carnival, celebrity and rcl all allow unvaccinated. Maybe post on a board where it might be true. Mardi gras sails today ..with unvaccinated. 

Masks will be required for everyone inside. Royal now also requires a Covid test within 3 days of the cruise. Any test will do, but you have to bring the negative result to the check in. This includes vaccinated passengers at their cost.

9 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Masks will be required for everyone inside. Royal now also requires a Covid test within 3 days of the cruise. Any test will do, but you have to bring the negative result to the check in. This includes vaccinated passengers at their cost.

Not necessarily true. Do you have a link or source for this information for Carnival? Royal were the fools that decided to allow an unlimited amount of unvaccinated adults on their cruise line. Now their steering the ship a different course after realizing how stupid that was. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, camper49 said:

If you cancel (after final payment)because masking is required, I assume penalties still apply??

Why ask a make believe question? Masks are not required so how could someone answer a question that doesnt apply to carnival except in a few areas of the ship. 

Maybe go ask on rcl? 

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

Why ask a make believe question? Masks are not required so how could someone answer a question that doesnt apply to carnival except in a few areas of the ship. 

Maybe go ask on rcl? 

My bad! Was just wondering as so many have said they would cancel. 

8 minutes ago, camper49 said:

My bad! Was just wondering as so many have said they would cancel. 

Well state it as if carnival changed their policy on making.. as a what if. Not as a fact. 

This thread seems to have gone off the rails.

• Like 1

currently cruising on the Horizon on our last day today. 

Mask have been worn by the crew indoors and outdoors.  The exception is the ones running around outdoors taking your drink order.   

The port requirement varied. DR must have on all times. Like the US there were those that where not wearing them. 

Aruba and  Curaçao required mask for getting off and on the ship    

On board, some pax’s wore them. More notable later this week with the spike.  I have worn a few times when we felt it is was needed.  But not much.  More in the beginning. I will when are waiting to get off in the am. 

non vax signs were up for any indoor show,  but not enforced nor did the parents mask their children.  There were plenty of kids on board. I saw one family that did make their kids wear mask- just saying 

I hope you all have a great cruise and just be prepared.  

The main question is what port may close?

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well state it as if carnival changed their policy on making.. as a what if. Not as a fact. 

This thread seems to have gone off the rails.

Is there a “what if “ answer? 
Masks or no masks, we plan on cruising! 

20 hours ago, blondie444 said:

Masks are only being recommended in areas with low vaccination rates. Carnival requires 95% of passengers to be vaccinated. 

IMO, the only thing that would interfere with Carnival cruising is if there is a major outbreak on a 95% vaccinated ship.

Noted Celebrity is now requiring ALL passengers, vaccinated and unvaccinated be tested prior to cruising (at their own expense as I believe it is 72 hrs prior?) and provide a negative test.  I suspect all cruise lines will follow and masks will be the new norm onboard. IMO

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Not necessarily true. Do you have a link or source for this information for Carnival? Royal were the fools that decided to allow an unlimited amount of unvaccinated adults on their cruise line. Now their steering the ship a different course after realizing how stupid that was. 

Their ship that had the six cases this week was just like Carnival, a predominantly vaccinated cruise. It also required a negative test before boarding. Yet they still had cases onboard. Again, it is worth noting that 5 of those individuals had no symptoms and one very mild symptoms. 

42 minutes ago, DGNewton said:

currently cruising on the Horizon on our last day today. 

Mask have been worn by the crew indoors and outdoors.  The exception is the ones running around outdoors taking your drink order.   

The port requirement varied. DR must have on all times. Like the US there were those that where not wearing them. 

Aruba and  Curaçao required mask for getting off and on the ship    

On board, some pax’s wore them. More notable later this week with the spike.  I have worn a few times when we felt it is was needed.  But not much.  More in the beginning. I will when are waiting to get off in the am. 

non vax signs were up for any indoor show,  but not enforced nor did the parents mask their children.  There were plenty of kids on board. I saw one family that did make their kids wear mask- just saying 

I hope you all have a great cruise and just be prepared.  

The main question is what port may close?

That's disappointing that they are not enforcing their policies but not surprising.

9 hours ago, GirlDad said:

I think we are not looking at the big picture.  Right now, people who are vaccinated, are catching and spreading Covid.  Those who are not vaccinated, many are dying.  Studies have shown that Delta  is more contagious. 

I wear my mask everywhere except my own home, and in my car as long it is only my family.  I do not walk out my apartment door without a mask.  I wear a mask at work.   Don't get me wrong.... I hate wearing a mask... but it a sacrifice I made to keep others safe.

My daughter is 5 and can't be vaccinated yet.   I have coworkers who can't get vaccinated for one reason or another. 

I am vaccinated.  If I catch Covid, there is a low chance that I would be hospitalized or die.  However, I could easily spread it to those who are not vaccinated. That is not true for so many people right now.  

We cruise in August.  Even if we have to wear a mask while on the ship we will be there.  

But if the ship is 95% vax, and there is a almost equal effectiveness of the vax. What is the point of the mask onboard.  Who are we protecting?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pokerguy90 said:

But if the ship is 95% vax, and there is a almost equal effectiveness of the vax. What is the point of the mask onboard.  Who are we protecting?

The people scared of the politicians, the people scared of covid, and their accoutrement of lawyers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pokerguy90 said:

How about the people in the countries we stop at, where vaccine availablity is super low?

Or the people back in our home cities where vaxx rates are 40-60% that come in contact with the vaccinated cruisers who brought it back from the cruise?  If wearing masks while on the cruise could have stopped some cruisers from getting it, then the people they might have spread it to at home would also have been protected by the masks being worn on the ship.

The cruise ship crew and the next sailing's passengers that might get it from them?

The 5% of exceptions and their families?

Breaking chains of transmission always has some value.  Masks aren't perfect protection and some people wear them incorrecrly, but they help a lot when deployed at large as a mitigation measure.  It was one thing when we thought our vaccines were 90%+ effective also would prevent us from spreading it if we still got it.  But we've come to realize that with Delta, neither of those things are true.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, camper49 said:

If you cancel (after final payment)because masking is required, I assume penalties still apply??

As long as the health crisis remains, I believe you can cancel and receive a FCC, but verify with Carnival. If you want money back, I believe the penalties apply. I don't know that masking makes a difference