I can't use hand sanitizer....

I have psoriatic arthritis that manifests itself primarily in my hands. I always have flareups that include cracked, dry, and often bleeding skin. I know they are pushing the hand sanitizer. I cant use it for obvious reasons. Will they give me a pass when they see my hands or do I need some kind of medical permission?

Maybe you could bring your own hand sanitizer that works with your condition. This is more for your protection than anyone else's so maybe you could pack around a small vial of something that works for you.  The hand washing stations are also a nice idea, but there are lots of times on a ship where you're going to touch public things like stair rails, elevator buttons, etc. and having your own sanitizer could keep you a little safer.

• Like 7

I'm on the Indy test cruise and there is someone at the entrance of each venue to ensure you sanitize your hands. They also have the wipes as an alternative. Don't know if things will be different on sailings with paying passengers.

If you have a product that works for you, I would recommend bringing it, and you can just use that instead of the supplied Purell from the dispenser. 

Alternately, if you just state that you're allergic to it (or show them your skin, if it's flaring up), they'll give you a pass.  Nobody is going to deny you entrance to the dining room because of it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, crusnbee said:

I have psoriatic arthritis that manifests itself primarily in my hands. I always have flareups that include cracked, dry, and often bleeding skin. I know they are pushing the hand sanitizer. I cant use it for obvious reasons. Will they give me a pass when they see my hands or do I need some kind of medical permission?

I have PA, ask your doctor about Taltz. Miracle drug ….. relieved my Psoriasis and PA. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m allergic to hand sanitizer, get nasty blisters. I bring my own spray & scrub like I’m doing surgery. I just show my spray as I enter the dining area

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I have PA, ask your doctor about Taltz. Miracle drug ….. relieved my Psoriasis and PA. 

Been on Taltz. Those shots were painful. Did not work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Weirdly, on my Adventure sailing in June I felt like there was less emphasis on hand sanitizer than on pre-Covid cruises. You were instructed to wash your hands before entering the Windjammer, but nothing for the main dining room. The dispensers were there but no one said anything about using them. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a note from your doctor if you will be seeing them anyway but I really don't think it will be forced on you. Can you tolerate lanolin and cotton gloves? That might help to make the point.

While sanitizing hands is a good health practice to overcome many different types of germs, especially NOVORO, spreading COVID via surfaces touched is less common than via respiratory droplets from a person sneezing or coughing or even talking near you. And no tracing evidence of people catching COVID after picking up packages or veggies after some one with COVID may have touched those things.  Same with drinking water, swimming pools, toilet seats, etc.

But as others have said here, bring your own sanitizer that your doctors prescribes or suggests for your condition.