New Covid Policy - Some of you will be forfeiting your $$$

3 hours ago, poocher said:

I completely understand your frustration.  We are cruising in March and who knows what policies/protocols will be in place then.  However, our frustrations may not translate to changes in RC policies.  You may not WANT to cancel but you (and really all of us) may find that to be our best option.  Hope you can find a solution and enjoy the cruise.

Thanks - I hope I can work something out before my final payment is due on the 16th.  If final payment wasn't due so soon, I would be sitting back just being entertained by the sh!!t show that is going on right now, but unfortunately, I don't have that option.

2 hours ago, kearney said:

In Nassau they test unvaccinated at the port.. keep in mind everyone over 12 and now 18 need to be vaccinated..so the numbers being tested are relatively small. Edge tried to do this last weekend and it was such a disaster that after hours of delays they cancelled testing. While it can be done...you need space, personnel and time to set this up. On the Edge return a Vlogger had his test result lost and he was unable to fly home until he located a place to do his own testing. So perhaps they can test everyone in port at some point...but they can not turn on a dime to do this...perhaps for Sept sailings and beyond... hopefully by then it will no longer be an issue.

To board the Adventure, they tested everybody so I don't think the numbers were low.  

I understand the logistics involved, but if you want your business to survive, you do what is necessary.  Sending your customers out to do needless testing is not exactly making Royal my top choice these days.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We currently have a cruise Nov 27 which means we need a test on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. If they don’t change the rules for those of us that are vaxed, then I’ll probably cancel..  but I would like a refund, I have more FCC than I would like now. 

Well, your payment is also due very soon.  Are you saying you will cancel before final payment or wait it out and cancel later on if things don't change?

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Well, your payment is also due very soon.  Are you saying you will cancel before final payment or wait it out and cancel later on if things don't change?

I’m going to gamble that things will get better.  We had to stop in CVS today and the line for vaccinations was crazy long. So, hoping as more get vaccinated things will ease up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

To board the Adventure, they tested everybody so I don't think the numbers were low.  

I understand the logistics involved, but if you want your business to survive, you do what is necessary.  Sending your customers out to do needless testing is not exactly making Royal my top choice these days.  

But they only did this once after that everyone had to have it done before they got there and then the unvaccinated were the only ones that had to have it done at Check in.

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Well, not sure what other cruise lines are doing...but as of beginning of August... Celebrity has a similar policy. As I recall the initial AOS sailings had about 25% or capacity... I think these later ones have a bit more...and the plan was to slowly increase. Anyway... none of the cruise line policies are set in stone..constant fluctuation

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.29.10 PM.png

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m going to gamble that things will get better.  We had to stop in CVS today and the line for vaccinations was crazy long. So, hoping as more get vaccinated things will ease up.

I certainly hope this is a wake-up call for those who have not been vaccinated. My husband and I were vaccinated back in late winter, but the majority of our family and a few friends are not. I don't even try to persuade them anymore to get the jab.  Their minds are made up and I don't think anything is going to change their minds.  Very sad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

But they only did this once after that everyone had to have it done before they got there and then the unvaccinated were the only ones that had to have it done at Check in.

You are correct.. just made my appointment for rapid test... fortunately it is available in my area

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We currently have a cruise Nov 27 which means we need a test on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. If they don’t change the rules for those of us that are vaxed, then I’ll probably cancel..  but I would like a refund, I have more FCC than I would like now. 

My cruise on Oasis is Sept. 5 and it's still a go.  Logistically, it's going to be  a nightmare as the test cruise ends on August 28.  In essence I have week to accomplish all of the necessary procedures & protocols.  I'm not even giving any thoughts of packing.

I agree with others, that testing at  pier would absolutely alleviate my anxieties.

Ps.  Depending on the number of reserves and the % restrictions, I may not be one of the lucky ones.

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

My cruise on Oasis is Sept. 5 and it's still a go.  Logistically, it's going to be  a nightmare as the test cruise ends on August 28.  In essence I have week to accomplish all of the necessary procedures & protocols.  I'm not even giving any thoughts of packing.

I agree with others, that testing at  pier would absolutely alleviate my anxieties.

Ps.  Depending on the number of reserves and the % restrictions, I may not be one of the lucky ones.

I’m not even planning to begin packing until after our tests. That gives me 3 days and that’s more than enough time.

1 hour ago, mek said:

Absolutely how it needs to be handled.  If Royal would step up to the plate and just say they would be providing tests at the port, all of my concerns would vanish.

99.9% of me agrees with you. Then I think about what would happen if I fly down there, only to get a positive test right before I’m supposed to get on the boat. I’m not going to be able to fly home having just received a positive test. Ugh, I hate these decisions!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RumJunkie said:

I talked with RCCL for a long while today.  Once again consulting with "managers".   Under the new policy (through Dec 31) you have to get a covid test prior to boarding EVEN IF YOU ARE VACCINATED (though not for most 4 day or less sailings).

If you do not get test results for ANY reasons (lab delay, email issues, etc) you will be Denied boarding and Forfeit all all money.  No refunds, no credits. 

I would recommend that you get a rapid test (30 minute) exactly 3 days before and be ready to do some 48 hour "I feel sick" cancel if that works. 

Another case of RCCL really hating on its passengers. 

We already have ours schedule for August 14th Adventure.  Says 3 days before boarding so we are getting rapid tests on Wed the 11th.  Should have results super fast so won't have any issues at all.  

3 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Royal needs to offer this at port.  While I have my test scheduled, it would be easier and a better result if Royal would offer it at the port.  Testing three days prior means little, since you could contract COVID after that.  Royal did this for the Adventure cruisers out of Nassau at least once, so they know how to do it.  

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  We fly to FL and if I had to wait until I got to the port to be tested, it would be a real problem if I turned up positive. Do I have to quarantine at my expense in FL?  Can I fly home? Lots of questions.

As it is, having it done 3 days before the cruise is a problem.  I am flying down and leaving 2 days before the cruise, family is driving and it takes 24 hours to drive there, so they also leave 2 days before.  Why would the cruise line make someone drive all that way to be tested at the pier and be told they were positive?

There is no easy answer other than canceling which I, at this point, don't plan to do, but these new guidelines are difficult for some.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mek said:

Posted from NBC News:

Breakthrough Covid cases: Data shows how many vaccinated Americans have tested positive

The 125,682 "breakthrough" cases in 38 states represent less than .08 percent of the 164.2 million-plus people fully vaccinated since January.

Not overly concerned.

Well put, this has become an unvaccinated epidemic; it's time to stop expecting the vaccinated to bend over backwards for those unwilling to get a shot.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Willard23 said:

What's so special about 3 days for the rapid test? It is supposed to prove you have antibodies in your system. There will be no measurable difference between 3 days and several weeks. The PCR test shows if you have an active infection and of course time is of the essence. Why make us scramble around for the rapid test at the last minute?

Your understanding of the antigen test is incorrect, it does not check for antibodies at all, but rather for active virus proteins.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

99.9% of me agrees with you. Then I think about what would happen if I fly down there, only to get a positive test right before I’m supposed to get on the boat. I’m not going to be able to fly home having just received a positive test. Ugh, I hate these decisions!

What about the people who are coming down the week of Thanksgiving and getting tests in Florida?  Same thing could happen.

47 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  We fly to FL and if I had to wait until I got to the port to be tested, it would be a real problem if I turned up positive. Do I have to quarantine at my expense in FL?  Can I fly home? Lots of questions.

As it is, having it done 3 days before the cruise is a problem.  I am flying down and leaving 2 days before the cruise, family is driving and it takes 24 hours to drive there, so they also leave 2 days before.  Why would the cruise line make someone drive all that way to be tested at the pier and be told they were positive?

There is no easy answer other than canceling which I, at this point, don't plan to do, but these new guidelines are difficult for some.

Please read my previous posts - I never said that testing at the pier should be the only option.  If folks want to get tested 3 days prior, then fine with me, but testing at the pier should defiantly be an option., if they are going to require it.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Well put, this has become an unvaccinated epidemic; it's time to stop expecting the vaccinated to bend over backwards for those unwilling to get a shot.

Yes it has, and it's time to put a stop to making people who have been vaccinated pay the price for those who haven't.

Cruises should always have been 100% vaccinated - no age exceptions, at least to start out.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, mek said:

Please read my previous posts - I never said that testing at the pier should be the only option.  If folks want to get tested 3 days prior, then fine with me, but testing at the pier should defiantly be an option., if they are going to require it.

Also, I don't understand why 3 days?  I had some minor routine surgery back in May on a Friday and a Covid test on Monday - that's 4 days.  If that is good enough for the medical profession, then it certainly should be good enough to cruise,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm sorry how I quoted you.  My comment was really for lazydayz which you had quoted and somehow I messed it up.  I think if people want to get tested at the port, that's on them if they wait until boarding time.

I wouldn't wait as I posted originally. 

Just now, katiel53 said:

I'm sorry how I quoted you.  My comment was really for lazydayz which you had quoted and somehow I messed it up.  I think if people want to get tested at the port, that's on them if they wait until boarding time.

I wouldn't wait as I posted originally. 

Sorry if my response came across as snarky - it wasn't intended that way.