John H announced masks and Mandatory testing,

kdr69

41 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

I have typed and deleted so many things I know I can't utter on here for this reply... Suffice it to say, I am not happy. I *AM* happy -- extremely happy -- that we just got off Breeze on Monday after a wonderful, NORMAL cruise. It felt beyond good to rip those masks off our faces the moment we stepped onboard, and keep them off until it was time to disembark. 

As I've been saying for a long time, Carnival should have been sailing at 100% vaccinated -- there was zero need for them to pander to those with kids under 12 or anyone else. They could have easily filled the ships with vaccinated people until such time when it is much SAFER for those with kids to cruise. If the ship was 100% vaccinated, crew, guests, and everyone, none of this would be happening. Can we still get and transmit covid as vaccinated people? Of course, we all know that we can -- but who cares? It might show up as the sniffles at worst, but we know with near-certainty that we're not going to get seriously ill or anything even approaching that. The science has shown that. 

Now I have to figure out what to do about our October cruise, because there's no way we're cruising with masks required everywhere.. but like so many others, this cruise was a *great* deal that we're very likely not going to be able to replicate, and we've already made final payment. Thanks for screwing everything up for everyone, unvaxxed people. 🤬

This is not happening because Carnival allowed some children to sail.  This is happening because vaccinated people are getting the virus, so mask requirements are coming back in style.  Testing before boarding for vaccinated passengers has nothing to do with unvaccinated children.  Vaccinated people should be tested because many are carrying the virus. Even if Carnival sailed 100% vaccinated, they would still be making the mask and testing requirements.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I am fully on board with the government making free testing available for exposures and/or symptoms.

I have no say in a person's contract with their insurance company.

I am not happy that the government will use their money (which is MY money) to pay for a test so that someone can go on a cruise.

I'm not supporting the policy, only providing a link to show that the policy exists.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

... I highly doubt they are going to be walking around monitoring what you do 24/7. Put it on walking to your table in the MDR and at the buffet.   Otherwise, I doubt anyone will say anything to you--especially if you have a drink in your hand...

Brilliant!  So if I have a drink while playing table games, I'll use the "I'm drinking so I don't have to wear a mask" card.

2 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Im not sure i follow your logic?  The passengers for these cruises are not strictly coming from the cities they leave from.  They have 4000 cruisers on Mardi Gras and that is at reduced capacity.  Do you really believe they wouldnt be able to fill the ship enough to sail?

Yes, I believe that. You have a pool of cruisers that equals 100%. Take out of that those families with children under 12 who will not cruise. Take out of that unvaccinated people who are not booking at this time. Now take out those who will not sail if required to wear a mask. They are making their pool of customers smaller and smaller. And those two ships I referenced are in the south, and that pool of cruisers are even more resistant to mask mandates and such. People will fly in to sail on the Mardi Gras - not so much to get on the small ships in these locations.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, picantel said:

Unbelievable. I cancelled my RCL cruise because they required testing for vaccinated passengers and booked mardi gras yesterday for august 14th. I even called carnival yesterday and was assured there would be no testing and my non refundable payment would be given back if they did. I am about to call and cancel but I guarantee they will try and screw me.

Yes, they will say you are passed the cancellation date.

If you have to, try to have your credit card company fight it out with them. Tell them it is a different product than that which was sold to you with this change. Make sure you document all reactions with Carnival including being told that they would not implement this policy.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I am not happy that the government will use their money (which is MY money) to pay for a test so that someone can go on a cruise.

Surely the tests will identify some who are positive and that is the whole point. It will SAVE tax payer money if they can reduce the virus from spreading. If you have insurance, they get charged for it, and I suspect most cruisers have insurance,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Yes, I believe that. You have a pool of cruisers that equals 100%. Take out of that those families with children under 12 who will not cruise. Take out of that unvaccinated people who are not booking at this time. Now take out those who will not sail if required to wear a mask. They are making their pool of customers smaller and smaller. And those two ships I referenced are in the south, and that pool of cruisers are even more resistant to mask mandates and such. People will fly in to sail on the Mardi Gras - not so much to get on the small ships in these locations.

I think you vastly overestimate the number of people unwilling to wear a mask on a ship...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TravelBluebird said:

My February girls cruise on Mardi Gras? We’ll wait and see. And no telling what will be going on with my 14 day Panama Canal cruise in April 2022, although 14 days and more expensive in masks might not work.

I have a cruise in November and im not even panicking about that one yet.  96 days is a still a long way to go.  Many things will be changing in that time im quite sure.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Brilliant!  So if I have a drink while playing table games, I'll use the "I'm drinking so I don't have to wear a mask" card.

Not that I condone it, but I saw plenty of people doing it at the Masters.  Granted, they may also have simply been drinking. 

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This is not happening because Carnival allowed some children to sail.  This is happening because vaccinated people are getting the virus, so mask requirements are coming back in style.  Testing before boarding for vaccinated passengers has nothing to do with unvaccinated children.  Vaccinated people should be tested because many are carrying the virus. Even if Carnival sailed 100% vaccinated, they would still be making the mask and testing requirements.

This is happening because not enough people are vaccinated on land.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 days before is a little ambiguous. We cruise Saturday 9/4. Do they mean we need to test between 9/1-9/3 or 9/2-9/4? It would be a lot easier to squeeze them in on the Wednesday rather than Thursday so I'm really curious.

2 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I agree that it will be a problem. I have yet to find a cruise that isn't still showing rooms available. They aren't sailing at even their current reduced capacities. This is only going to make it worse. 

• Like 3

I'm just thrilled they're still cruising. Everyone wanted cruises back up and running and really didn't expect things like this to be in place? Be thankful cruises are still happening and haven't had to be shutdown again.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Not saying that's a bad thing but I am surprised they would cover a test for a vacation.

I am also surprised, but the choice upon registering for an appointment is “travel”, not “vacation”.  No distinction between business travel, family emergency, or vacation.  That might be why it is covered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

"Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation day and have proof of vaccination. Additionally, effective August 14, 2021, fully vaccinated guests must present the negative results of a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days prior to embarkation."

. . .  So it looks like I'd have to take my test and have results the day before I fly out since we are flying in the day before we board. (i.e., take and get Covid PCR test results on Thursday, for Saturday Cruise Departure)??

I read this to mean that if I’m sailing Saturday, I would need to test on Wednesday, with Saturday being the 3rd day after testing. 

5 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

That's how people got around the masking requirement when Disney World first opened. They just walked around the park with a churro or drink in their hand, sips and bits every now and then. "Can't mask up, don't you see I'm eating/drinking?"

• Like 1

Just now, ScottsSweetie said:

Not in the Southeast.

Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. do not = the entirety of the country or the world.  Even when I went to NOLA a couple of months ago, masks were required at most restaurants.  And I live in Texas and most people still wear masks here except for in the podunk, backwards towns. 

• Like 3

WOW - go off for lunch and a new topic is at nearly 200 posts.

I'm just sad for those people who test within 72 hours that get a false positive... and, at the same time, glad our 8/7 cruise won't be subject to testing.

I'm ok wearing a mask - I've become quite accustomed to it. We just need to hang in there. This is not "the end".

Tom

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I for one am not surprised at the new protocols. TBH I was going to implement these new protocols on myself anyway just for peace of mind. Heck, I’ve already been in a self imposed quarantine for 3 weeks now anyway in preparation for my cruise on 9/18/21. For those of us who anticipated the change in protocols and made adjustments to our expectations ahead of time this is okay. 

• Like 8

Just now, Applealex said:

That's how people got around the masking requirement when Disney World first opened. They just walked around the park with a churro or drink in their hand, sips and bits every now and then. "Can't mask up, don't you see I'm eating/drinking?"

I have never been more thankful to have Cheers than I am at this point! 🥂 And remember, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

They are also resistant to vaccines and so most aren't going to be cruising anyway. If Carnival cuts the price enough, the ships will be full, and gamblers love bargains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

Negative antigen test may be tricky for those who fly into port a day ahead of time.  Last test I took, it took 3 days to get the results.

I was just told by the clinic I use that the negative antigen test is one that is available in 10-15 minutes.  She said the PCR test would take 48 hours or so.  Hopefully, the negative antigen test is the one they are using.

3 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

They still had over 800 first time cruisers on the first cruise back.  That pool of cruisers continually grows and shrinks so the number that makes up 100% is constantly changing as well.  Hard to calculate with that unknown variable in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yeah, the test wasn't a deal breaker, but the mask requirement is.  I am going to have to cancel

Depending on when your cruise is, maybe you can wait until it's close to final payment and see if the mask policy is still in place then before deciding whether to cancel. Trouble is, the mask policy could be lifted then...but then reinstated again before you actually cruise. So you'd be taking a chance.

I am cruising on sat 8/7 and I would get tested if I had to. Other cruise lines are stating that you will get 100% refund or a lift and shift. Carnival is NOT saying this.  You all should be refunded if you don't want to ware masks or get tested. Someone please post here if you have gotten a refund or what Carnival's response to this is.