Unvaccinated pcr test, vaccinated rapid antigen test

firefly333

Just wanted to make sure everyone in all the excitement saw this.

From John H.

"With regard to testing can I just confirm again that if you are fully vaccinated you can get a rapid antigen test done by places like CVS and pharmacies. If you are unvaccinated you need to get a PCR test.

Home testing results are not permitted"

• Like 4

Saw it. Huge freak out in my roll call with people who are traveling to Florida 3+ days before the cruise and being told they are overwhelmed in Orlando and won’t do the antigen and aren’t guaranteeing the pcr in less than 5 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm asking for clarification regarding the Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs) rapid tests.  Frankly I am worried that people won't pick up on the fact that most of the rapid tests offered are the NAAT tests and not antigens.

Edited by Shayhooper
to add.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

I'm asking for clarification regarding the Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs) rapid tests.  Frankly I am worried that people won't pick up on the fact that most of the rapid tests offered are the NAAT tests and not antigens.

I think that’s going to be a problem. I see so many people on social media saying just get a rapid test and I think some people are going to get the wrong test.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

Is the NAAT test not a PCR test?  I was told by the clinic I use that the rapid test is the antigen test.

7 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Is the NAAT test not a PCR test?  I was told by the clinic I use that the rapid test is the antigen test.

If the cruise lines don't get their stuff together and just test at the piers, the ships are going to be a lot emptier than they planned, a lot of people will be denied boarding, seriously questioning the IQ's of Carnival Corporation.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

There are different types of NAATs (nucleic acid amplification test). The PCR tests that take a couple of days to return results are NAATs. The Abbott ID Now test used by Walgreens is a rapid NAAT, but not a PCR test. From the brief amount of research I have done, they are not considered as accurate as PCR tests. For whatever reason, the cruise lines seem to not want people to use them.

I have also seen a rapid PCR test for $200 offered by some urgent cares. I am not sure what that one is - maybe they for extra money they rush the samples instead of batching them so they can get the results out faster.

14 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

looking at it i think naat is pcr. But there are two rapid tests. Not everyone has the antigen. Some places just have this ID Now one which I don’t believe would be accepted

CD62E73F-A4A2-4F3F-9A80-686AB6311D69.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

From what I was told earlier today when I called my clinic, there are a few different "rapid" tests.  There is a RT-PCT, antigen rapid and NAAT or ID Now rapid tests.  I think they need to be very clear by also posting which tests will NOT be accepted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, atexsix said:

If the cruise lines don't get their stuff together and just test at the piers, the ships are going to be a lot emptier than they planned, a lot of people will be denied boarding, seriously questioning the IQ's of Carnival Corporation.

It's the same policy Royal adopted first.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

The PCR/NAAT test that CVS does is the 72 hour test. The rapid test is different.

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

looking at it i think naat is pcr. But there are two rapid tests. Not everyone has the antigen. Some places just have this ID Now one which I don’t believe would be accepted

Correct…I think it needs to say specifically rapid antigen like cvs is doing. Not molecular rapid like ID now or binax

3 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Correct…I think it needs to say specifically rapid antigen like cvs is doing. Not molecular rapid like ID now or binax

I'm pretty sure Binax is a rapid antigen.  Two weeks ago I took my daughter to Walgreens and she was given the Binax rapid and the results said it was an antigen.  Now Walgreens is saying they are only offering those to people who have either been exposed or are showing symptoms.

Sadly there isn't a CVS within 100 miles of me.

37 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

At my local CVS 2 types of tests The appointments are every day 10-5PM for the following 14 days.

Test type: Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)

Accepted for most travel and recreational purposes

Drive-thru test (vehicle required)

Results within 1-2 days

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline.

Results within hours

14 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

I'm pretty sure Binax is a rapid antigen.  Two weeks ago I took my daughter to Walgreens and she was given the Binax rapid and the results said it was an antigen.  Now Walgreens is saying they are only offering those to people who have either been exposed or are showing symptoms.

Sadly there isn't a CVS within 100 miles of me.

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test?utm_campaign=2021-5-CIIP-CIIP-Consumers&utm_medium=Vanity&utm_source=QuestCOVID19-com&utm_term=Paid-Owned

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

I agree.  I think they should just test everyone at the terminal.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I think that’s going to be a problem. I see so many people on social media saying just get a rapid test and I think some people are going to get the wrong test.

I agree 100%. If I wasn't here to go with my husband, he would get the wrong test. Fortunately we are going together and will get the right test. I think a lot of people may get turned away at the pier for having the wrong test. We leave on the 21st on the Panorama and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out!

Please be aware that in Seattle, for example, the rapid test is not available to all at places like Walgreens and CVS…they are prioritizing those with symptoms so you may not be able to just get an an appointment  last minute as we being lead to believe.

I am not saying it’s not possible.  I’m not trying to be an alarmists.  I’m just saying don’t just assume it will be easy.  Now what would be great is if Carnival would tell us what would happen if all we can schedule is the PCR test but our results aren’t available by embarkation time?

Edited by chefchick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

From what I was told earlier today when I called my clinic, there are a few different "rapid" tests.  There is a RT-PCT, antigen rapid and NAAT or ID Now rapid tests.  I think they need to be very clear by also posting which tests will NOT be accepted.

They really do, and it needs to get sent out in an official email.  ALL of this needs a lot more detail.  If we're confused, the port staff are likely going to be too, and I'd like to have some kind of backup when I'm arguing my case.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Please be aware that in Seattle, the rapid test is not available to all at places like Walgreens and CVS…they are prioritizing those with symptoms so you may not be able to just get an an appointment  last minute as we being lead to believe.

I am not saying it’s not possible.  I’m not trying to be an alarmists.  I’m just saying don’t just assume it will be easy.

Along with the fact that should you happen, heaven forbid, to test positive, you'll be spending two weeks in Seattle.  I want my negative test prior to leaving home.  This is really the pits for folks who had planned to spend a few days prior to the cruise enjoying the port city.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  I think they should just test everyone at the terminal.

This is the only way it will work. Doing it just like Royal has been testing. Many people are just going to cancel if they have to get their own tests. 

• Like 1